Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: iragi maqam - no oud?
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 7-31-2005 at 12:01 AM
iragi maqam - no oud?

in a ny times article on a jazz musician named amir elsaffar, by robin shulman, reprinted this saturday-sunday, jul 30/31 in the herald tribune, mr. shulman states that the following instruments are traditionally played in iraqi maqam: the joza (made from a coconut fiddle and heart tissue of water buffalo); the santur; a tabla and a riqq (tambourine.)

no oud? is the oud traditionally used for something else, not maqam?

second question: the article also suggests that the full repertoire of iraqi maqam consists of 56 melodies. is this true? in what little i've read on the andalusian tradition, i was under the impression that only 12 (or 15 ... can't remember) "classical" melodies remain.

in the dark - bill
shlomi
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-31-2005 at 12:43 AM

hello bill
maybe the article u read was about the iraqi maqam ensemble?
thy use this instruments {qanun no santur)
the meldies are called dulab wichis a short interlud that revials the nature of each specific maqam
the andalusian pieces are called nouba, plural- noubat this are long pieces
over 2 hours each
originaly there was 21 noubat but today only 11 or12 are known

shlomi

hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 7-31-2005 at 05:43 AM

no, bill is right, this ensemble uses santur, not qanun. (iraqi santur). oud is not used due to octave limitation, i think. they also have riqq, tabla, fiddle, and of course a singer. the iraqi have over 90 maqams, but five main maqam, called 5 fusul, basically the forms of bayati, hijaz, rast, nawa, and husaini if i'm not mistaken. however performance of these fusul can take 3-4 hours, not 2 hours. these were usualy perfomed during festive events, like weddings...
ps. i'm not an expert on iraqi tradition, but this info is due to much reseach on munir bashir and classical iraqi music.
thank you
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 12:31 AM

oh wise ones ...

i understood maqams to be something similar to the modes of western music (ionian, myxolydian, dorian, etc.) plus associated rhythms.

is this correct?

i also understood noubat to be a maqam - one of many - that is associated with the andalusian style of play.

may i ask if this is also correct?

final question: is there a single collection of melodies in the arabic tradition that might be considered as germinal - from which all subsequent melodies originate?

looking for that light at the end of the tunnel - bill
shlomi
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 12:59 AM

hamed thx for the info(2 hours i mean each nouba not the iraqi maqam).
well bill each nouba is based on a maqam originaly there was a nouba for every hour of the day
about the maqam : the maqam is not a just a scale its more like a musical movment that has its own nature . it resembels gregorian moods in western music. try this sites:www.maqamworld.com
http://www.maqam.com
http://iraqimusic.com/index_maqam.htm

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 09:37 AM

My understanding is that the term maqam in Arabic music in general means something different from what the Iraqi maqam means. Not just that particular scales are exclusive to Iraq, but that it's tied to specific melodies and compositions in a way that maqam isn't outside of Iraq (not sure, but i think this may be somewhat similar to Persian music, which would make sense as Iraqi maqam music is closer in sound to Persian music than other Arabic music is, e.g. use of santur).
This is a separate tradition from the classical Andalusian repertoire.
I don't think that in Arabic music in general that you could consider there to be a "germinal" set of melodies, although there are definite ideas that show up repeatedly, often tied to specific maqamat. Usually these are qaflat, cadential formulae. Taqasim often make use of specific ideas that are more or less essential to establish the particular maqam. Composition, especially in the modern period (i.e., Qassabgi, Sunbati, Abd el Wahab, etc.) seems to be pretty open melodically.
maqamworld
Oud Lover

Mood: tamaam

[*] posted on 8-3-2005 at 01:11 PM

The Iraqi Maqam music (which is a performed tradition) does not use the oud. Other Iraqi music does.

By the way the Iraqi maqam is a concept which encompasses much more than a mode, a scale, and traditions for sayr (melodic development). Improvisation must be based on basic melodies and parts that the musician performs, of course with their own ornamentation. Some Iraqi maqamat are very strict, some are loser. This is very similar to Persian music.

Here's a brief description by Amir Elsaffar about the Iraqi Maqam:

The Maqam of Iraq is a highly-sophisticated classical music form that has
played a vital role in both secular and religious aspects of Iraqi society
for many centuries. This urban vocal tradition, which is unique in the Arab
world, contains elements that reach deep into Iraq's heritage and history.
Performed primarily in Baghdad, Mosul, Kirkuk, and Basra, the Iraqi Maqam
draws upon musical traditions of the geographical area of present-day Iraq
and its neighboring lands. Melodies of Persian, Turkish, Kurdish, Turkoman,
and Arab origins are woven together into a cohesive repertoire of elaborate, semi-improvised compositions, known as maqamat, which are organized according to strict rules of structure and aesthetics of beauty.

Johnny Farraj
http://www.maqamworld.com

Go To Top