Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hand injury
umut
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-13-2005 at 10:16 AM
hand injury

Hey friends,

I'm having problems with my right hand/wrist recently due to, according to the doctors, "repetitive strain injury".

This is probably because I play the oud (and also use the computer too much). I was wondering if any of you know any good doctors in the East coast of the US (around New York area) who could help me reposition my playing and give me some tips as to how to keep on playing without further injuring myself.

I have been seeing doctors for the last couple months and going to physical therapy (and stopped playing for a while now). they helped improve the situation but I still need a doctor who works with musicians to show me right positions.

I hope none of you face this situation because in the extreme cases you may even have to stop playing permanently. In any case, I would suggest that you take care of your hands and wrists, make strecthing exercises regularly and warm up before playing if you can.

best

umut
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 8-13-2005 at 11:42 AM

2 ideas:

1. Avoid getting surgery done to correct it. Sounds like you already know that. instead do your best to let it heal naturally, with the help of someone.

2. Bassam Saba was an oud teacher of mine a few years ago. He's REALLY REALLY good at looking at your hands while you play to see if you're doing something wrong. Maybe your hand is at a weird angle? He can spot it and help you understand why it's hurting so bad.

I think it's a really good idea! Let me know what you think.

i hope everything works out for you. Don't worry, you won't have to quit playing.

all the best,
adam
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 8-13-2005 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by umut
Hey friends,

I'm having problems with my right hand/wrist recently due to, according to the doctors, "repetitive strain injury".

It's not a replacement for seeing doctors, but for years I had a nightly regimen of icing my right wrist for 15 minutes or so. For me, it helped stave off carpal tunnel problems or "repetitive strain injuries." Basically, treating the consequences of oud playing as a recurring sports injury...
tezza
Oud Addict

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 8-13-2005 at 11:42 PM

umut,
I've been playing stringed instruments for longer than I care to remember, but only had problems when I started using a mouse 10+ hours a day. Make sure you have a decent ergonomic mouse with a scroll-wheel as moving the mouse around (instead of scrolling) sometimes leaves your wrist at a wierd angle. And do get an oud instructor (not a doctor, unless he plays the oud!) to check your wrist angle and action. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 8-14-2005 at 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by adamgood
Bassam Saba was an oud teacher of mine a few years ago. He's REALLY REALLY good at looking at your hands while you play to see if you're doing something wrong. Maybe your hand is at a weird angle? He can spot it and help you understand why it's hurting so bad.

i forgot to mention that Bassam lives near and teaches in the New York City area. I think you mentioned you are looking for some solution on the east coast.

adam
umut
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-16-2005 at 08:30 AM

thank you all for the replies.

i'll keep them in mind and try to see Bassam Saba for guidance on how to play.

umut
mikeG
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 08:37 PM

I experienced tingling and numbness in my right hand (and was worried that it was caused by my oud playing) until I began using this ergonomic mouse from evoluent. It keeps my wrist from twisting during use, and now my symptoms are gone, and my wrist and fingers are fine. See:

http://www.evoluent.com/index.html

---Michael
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 09:23 PM

You could relieve the pressure on your right hand by using your left hand for mouse. It takes a little time to get used to it, but soon you will be able to use either hand with equal ease. Gotta look after that right wrist for oud.

Regards,

Greg
Wm. De Leonardis
Oud Maniac

Mood: AOK

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 06:45 AM

I’ve found a good deal of relief from my hand and arm fatigue by practicing the simple exercises in the book listed below.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Repetitive Stress Injuries: The Comprehensive Guide to Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery by Tammy Crouch. ISBN#1883319501.

By doing the recommended regiment before and after I play my oud—or any other instrument, for that matter—I find that I’m able to play longer and without pain or discomfort.

If you can’t find a copy at a bookstore, library, or on-line, see if your local library can get it through their Interlibrary Loan.
tezza
Oud Addict

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 08:33 AM

Now that's dedication Greg :applause:
umut
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:08 AM

yep, i've already switched to using the mouse with my left hand and yes it makes quite a difference. also the strengthening exercises i'm doing as part of the physical therapy are working well to improve the feeling on my hand. i'll try to find the book and apply the exercises in the book. thanks for recommending lenoardis!
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 05:40 PM

Hi Umut,

Great suggestions from everybody -- also, resist the temptation to "strong arm" things -- doing stuff with brute strength involving your fore-arms and hands...just pausing for a second or two before you try to crank open a sticky jar lid, etc...can help. It's more of a long term thing, but working with this type of injury is a long term commitment too. Take care.

Regards...Paul
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 02:27 PM

Hi Umut,

I hope you are feeling better soon and no longer experience this pain. Do you also play kanun? It may be a coincidence, but I've heard of a kanun player named Umut living in NY. :)

Thanks to everybody else for the great suggestions. I've also recently had eye problems due to too much computer time. My eye doctor told me to take a break every 1/2 hour to focus on something far away for a little, and to keep the screen at least at arms length. :) Machines are great, but they have their negative aspects too.

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse

Go To Top