Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: How close (different) is the pipa to (from) the oud?
Paul007
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

info.gif posted on 8-17-2005 at 12:04 PM
How close (different) is the pipa to (from) the oud?

The pipa in the Tang Dynasty (around 7th - 9th century) looks like the oud, and was played with a plectrum (The following two pictures are from the paintings of Tang Dynasty).

But the present day pipa becomes more different from the oud. The playing techniques are also different.

(from http://liufangmusic.net/English/pipa.html)

I am curious about the history of the oud.How long does it exist? Since when is the oud taken the form of today? It seems to me that there is no standard size and form for the oud making. Every oud player has their own instrument made by himself or specially ordered. The oud is beautiful instrument for its sound and its look. But it seems to me that every oud player has a different oud, at lest from the look. Is it becuase of differnt countries, or it is simply the individual taste of different oud-makers or/and musicians? The Chinese pipa has a standard measure in size and making though the quality varies.

By the way, I enjoy the oud music found in http://www.mikeouds.com/playlist.html and
the "professional sound clips" in this forum. I love oud music, its beauty, depth and its vastness (sense of space). I also discovered some beautiful pictures of the oud here.
I found the Chinese pipa (which is related to the oud in history) is also very expressive instrument, and I would like to intriduce it to you. I have put up a thread in http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2471
which is a video clip of pipa and percussion live concert by Liu Fang and Ziya Tabassian.
You can download from

http://216.19.71.27/liufang/video/huobajiezhiye.WMV (more pieces in http://www.philmultic.com/liufang/video/index.html)

Hope you like it.
Paul
:wavey:
Paul007
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-22-2005 at 07:43 PM

Can anybody describe a little about the historical developement of the oud, and how it is different from country to country, or from school to school? The saw a few oud players and their oud seem to be different, some with longer necks, some with shorter necks, and even have frets that can move, and mostly no frets in the way like cello. But I am particularly interested in its history. How was it like, say thousand years ago? Is there a website for this information?
Thanks!
Paul

Paul
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 11:17 AM

Hi Paul

Thanks for posting the material on the pipa. I really enjoyed the video clip - wonderful playing, and very evocative to watch.

I'm also very interested in the historical connections between different instruments, especially those of Asian origin. Central Asia, and perhaps the silk road in particular, seems to have had this amazing role as a germinating ground for the early forms of many instruments. I think it can be valuable, not just as a matter of curiosity, but also as a practical help in realizing the potential of modern instruments, to be able to listen to and, where possible, play closely related instruments, though they originate from different cultures or time periods. I'm not sure where it will lead me, but I've recently been comparing recordings of music for pipa and gu-zheng to recordings using oud and kanun. So I completely understand your wanting to obtain further information on the common ancestry of oud-like instruments, as well wanting a better understanding how the divergences came about.

Unfortunately, phrased in that expansive way, it's potentially a huge subject, and there probably isn't a single website containing everything you're looking for, seeing that it would include both ancient history and more recent details of oud construction and regional styles. You may already be aware of them, but in case you aren't, here are a couple of useful sites dealing with the early history of the oud, with occasional reference to the pipa: http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/history.html (David Parfitt's site); and http://www.kairarecords.com/oudpage/oud.htm.

As to more recent information, there are lots of people who visit this site who have detailed knowledge as to current regional variations in instrument building style, playing styles and repertoire. My sense is that they're often too busy playing or instrument building themselves to write the book or create the website that would provide comprehensive answers to your questions. However, if you've got the patience to do so, you can probably put together the answers to almost all of your questions by using the search feature for this website, and judiciously choosing your search topics - eg., searching "Turkish oud" or "strings for Turkish oud", will probably lead you to detailed information on the particularities of that style of instrument.

Finally, strategic use of U to U's could help. My experience is that people on this site truly love the music and the instrument, and are usually quite happy to have an opportunity to share that passion, as long as it's on a manageable scale. If you use the search feature, and pay attention to who seems to be interested in what topic, you should be able to quickly identify who some of the more knowledgeable (and/or talkative) site members are.... You could then search for a contributor's name on the search feature, and get a virtual diary of all their entries, or try to contact them directly...

Best of luck with your inquiries....Mark/Kasos
Paul007
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 07:04 PM
Thanks - some initial findings and more question ....

Hi Mark,
it is very kind of you. I am doing a little search according to you advice, and found quite a lot of very interesting information. Thank you indeed.
The two sites you mentioned (http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/history.html and http://www.kairarecords.com/oudpage/oud.htm) have been very helpful.

Here I just sort out some parallels and findings, which point out more questions:

1. The oud appeared three and half thousand years ago, and seemed to have experienced a big change around 9th-10th century to become what is like today. I still need to learn more to know the details.

2. The Chinese historical records mentioned that the oud was introduced to China through the Silk Road during the Northern and Southern Dynasty (420-589 AD). That implies that it is the fore-runner of the today's oud that was brought to China, which was called "hu-pipa" (literally foreign lute), which had a few frets, and was played with a quite large wooden plectrum (see text and photos in http://liufangmusic.net/English/pipa.html ). Today's oud normally has no frets, and is played with a soft plectrum. The only common ground between the early pipa (photos above) and oud is that both instruments played horizontally (see photos in http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/history.html.

3. Around 9-10th century, the pipa underwent big changes too: first, the instrument began to be played with finger nails instead of the plectrum. And the instrument sits vertically on the lap so that the left hand can move more freely. The number of frets was increased too (see http://liufangmusic.net/English/pipa.html ).
. I cannot summarize clearly for now, what changes the oud experienced during the 9-10th century. I need to do some more search.

4. When the oud brought to Europe late, it involved into lute and guitar, which differs from the oud in at least two ways: the use of fingernails instead of plectrum, and the frets. Interestingly enough, this is similar to the changes that took place when the oud brought to China in around the 5th century. However, there some big differences: the plucking fingers move toward ourside when playing the pipa, as is evident in the video of Liu Fang, while for the guitar and lute, the plucking finger moves inwards. Pipa string used to be made of silk, and played with real nails, since early last century, the strings are replaced by steel (rapped with nylon to make the sound not too sharp). From that time on, a little plectrum is attached to each finger to protect the nails.

Now these are some further questions:

1. The resonant body of the pipa is shallower today that it was introduced in the 4th century. It is produced from a whole piece of hard and heavy wood, so the pipa sound is sharp and crystal clear with less resonance, while the lute or guitar have kept more or less the original feature of oud. I am wondering why? Maybe because of the musical needs, or it was a influence from the fore-runner of the oud, that is, could it be that the very early oud was made of a whole piece of wood? and so it was called "oud"?

2. The back of the sound body of pipa is made out of a whole piece of wood, usually very hard and heavy wood, while the oud is made of thin and light wood glued together. The question is, was the fore-runner of the oud also made out of whole piece of wood? When was the strong glue material invented to enable the oud to be made in the present way?

3. Chinese historical records indicated that there existed a kind of pipa with round body and straight neck in the second century BC. The name of this instrument "pipa" was given to the oud-like pipa introduced to China in the 4th century. The original "pipa" has been call Ruan since then. The question is: was this original pipa (now called ruan, see http://www.philmultic.com/home/instruments/ for photo and text) created in China or introduced earlier from somewhere? If it was introduced, why earlier pipa (now called ruan) differs so much from the oud (and even from the present day pipa)?

I am still searching for an answer. Meanwhile, if anybody here has some ideas and clues, please do write down here, or point out links to interesting sites about these issues.

Thanks!

Paul
Paul007
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 06:21 PM

The oud chronicles:

According to 9th-10th century legends:

The oud was invented by Lamak [sixth grandson of Adam], a direct descendant of Cain

The oud appeared in Mesopotamia during the Kassite period (1600-1150 B.C.) with a small oval body."

It was found in the "tomb of Sen-Mut, a tutor of Princess Neferura, who exercised great influence over the arts during the reign of Queen Hatshepsut from 1501 to 1479 B.C."

"A larger variety, similar to the instrument's present day dimension, appeared in a relief at Alaca Hoyuk in Anatolia dating from the Hitite New Kingdom (1460-1190 B.C.)."

during reign of the Sassanid King Shaput I (241-72).

According to two authors of the end of the 14th century:

- Reaching China, an oud like Chinese instrument, pipa featured in instrumental ensembles of the Chinese Han Dynasty (206 B.C.) - [This is different from Chinese sources, see below*]

- spread towards the Arab peninsula in the 7th century.

The founder of the ud school of Baghdad [in the 9th century]

Ziryab transported the art of the ud to the banks of the Guadalquivir in Moorish Spain, at the far extremity of the Empire."
Ziryab set about introducing the concepts of a new music, drawn from Greek, Persian and Arab elements, that was to influence deeply the foundation of European classical music."

• Confucius (600 BC) was the first person to compile historical records about major events in the governments, society and in natures of earlier dynasties and his time. Since the time of Confucius (600 BC), China has kept written historical records till the last dynasty.

According to Chinese historical documents, the oud was introduced to China in the during the 5th century, developed into the pipa in the 7th-9th century, and later brought to the neighboring countries.

It is still not clear to me about the historical connection. Is there any records in the Arabic world that some oud players used their fingers instead of plectrum? How about the sitar? I saw Persian musicians play with one finger, and the Indian musicians play with two fingers. But the Chinese pipa and European guitar are played with 5 fingers, though totally different way. Who was the first to introduce these techniques? or simply by trying and error?

I have found a nice article about the history of guitar.

http://www.classicalguitarmidi.com/history/guitar_history.html

From the medieval Spain to the 18th and 19th of Europe. But there are also some discussion about early history.

And more in http://www.guitarramagazine.com/GuitarHistory

My goodness, a lot of information, much more than I would expected. ....

Paul
    kasos
    Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 07:35 AM

Hi Paul

Interesting to hear your latest research...I rather suspected that it would be a big topic, once you started getting into it....

In reference to your earlier post, speculating about construction made from a single piece of wood, I've encountered a fair amount of material about early bowed strings (a particular interest of mine) that strongly supports the idea of one piece instrument construction being fairly widespread in the period before 1000 AD. Indeed, quite a number of traditional bowed strings today retain this type of construction - off the top of my head, I'm thinking of a number of closely related instruments which seem to have sprung from the shared musical culture of the Ottoman empire, namely, the Cretan lyra, the Turkish kemence, the Serbian guzle, and the Bulgarian gadulka. There's also a one piece construction Chinese fiddle, with somewhat similar dimensions, which is apparently the traditional instrument of the Dong (?) people in Southern China, and which is reputedly mentioned in some very early Chinese writings. In central Asia, (Kirghizistan) there's a bowed instrument called the kil kyak which is one piece, though saddle shaped, rather than pear shaped like the ones I previously mentioned. And there's a one piece version of the sarangi (also more of a saddle shape) which is found, though sometimes under different names, in Nepal, Kazahkstan, and Iran, with some suggestion that its use extended as far as Afghanistan. Moreover, though this seems to be less widespread, they still make plucked instruments like the baglama on a one piece basis (including the neck, as is usually the case with all the bowed instruments mentioned above) in Bulgaria, presumably as a continuation of the ancient practice...

In reference to your speculative question about the reason for a thick, relatively heavy bowl being preferred for the pipa, I think this would have developed based on practical, rather than acoustical considerations, once the basic choice to opt for one piece construction had been made. Simply put, when building a one piece construction bowl, it's prudent to err on the side of making the instrument sturdier, to support strains and stresses over the length and breadth of the instrument, without cracking or bending. All your eggs are in one basket, as it were, and you don't want to waste the large piece of wood required.... A friend of mine recently built a kemence for me, and we went through exactly the same agony trying to decide how thin we could afford to go with the bowl. When the dust cleared, my instrument is probably thicker than it should be, for purposes of optimal resonance, but that's precisely the point I'm trying to make...You can see a picture of it, along with a number of my other instruments, if you use the search feature on this site to locate "lavta info", a thread started by bcearthtones....You'll find it on top of page 2 of that thread....Take care, Mark
    Paul007
    Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
    Originally posted by kasos
    Hi Paul

Interesting to hear your latest research...I rather suspected that it would be a big topic, once you started getting into it....

Hi Mark,
    Thank you so much for your great help. I am very glad know that the early oud might be manufactured from a whole piece of wood. I would gues that the oud then should also sound quite differently from that of today. I am very impressed by your knowledge and I am so glad to find this forum. Yes I found the thread you mentioned:
    http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2487&page=1
    Very interesting info and amazing pictures of your collections. I'll spend some more time and try to sort out all the information I can obtain.

By the way, I found the terminology of the instrument is interesting; in a sense it reflects the history. I know "tar" in Persian simply means "string". So sitar (or setar?) is three string, for instance. But the Indian sitar has got more than three strings. The guitar has normally 6 strings, but what is the meaning of "qui"? From which language it come from? Does "gui" means a certain number, or is it an article similar to "the", such that guitar means simply "the strings"?

Another term in Europe is lute (or luth, laute, laud etc in different languages). I guess this may come from the name "oud", which mean "a piece of wood". Is the "lavta" or "Lauta" you mentioned another name for oud?

Here there are two traditions of the instrument: one named after the string (sitar, guitar), the other named after the building material (oud, lute).

In China there is also a tradition to name an instrument according to the number of strings ("xian" in Chinese). For instance, sanxian is a pluck instrument with 3 (san) strings, long neck, without frets. Sixian is an bowed instrument with 4 (si) strings, also call sihu, where the hu means "foreign", indicating it is not Chinese origin. Duxian qin ("Du" mean single) has got only one string.

Anyway, you are right in that it is a big subject all together.

Thank you again, Mark.

Paul
    kasos
    Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 07:02 AM

Paul, thanks for your kind comments. I'm really quite new at this, although, with what is reminiscent of a convert's interest, in the past year or so I've spent (and continue to spend) a fair amount of time reading up on non-western instrumentation, and where possible, obtaining examples of the instruments themselves....

I'm intrigued by one of the points you touched on in your last post.
    I suppose it's possible to set up a little bit of a conundrum with the members of the oud family - although it's true that the lavta is derived from the oud and the laouta is derived from the oud - is the Greek laouta derived primarily from the oud, or primarily from the lavta? I can't really answer this question myself, maybe someone else on the site can...

Take care, Mark
    Paul007
    Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-20-2005 at 08:59 PM

Quote:

Hi, Mark,
    It's pleasure to discuss with you. I'm a little confused about the early history of Persia - Iran and Iraq. The oud seems to have appeared first in Iran and Iraq - Arabic world, but wasn't Iran call Persia? I thought the Persians call the instruments "tar" according to the strings, and the Arabic people called "oud" according to its making. I almost wanted to conclude that when it is called a certain "tar", such as sitar, setar or guitar, the instruments tend to have long necks and frets, smaller resonant body and played with finger nails or the like. Whereas all kinds of "oud" tend to have shorter necks and no frets, larger resonant body, and played with plectrum. But the Persia and Arabs, are they the same people? It seems complicated there. I also heard that the Indian sitar came from Persia. Anyway, it is an interesting subject. Thank you for your contribution. I'll come back when I discovered some further clues. Meanwhile, if you or anybody in this forum find interesting pages on the related subject from the interent, I appreciate very much that you put a link on this thread. That will help a lot. Thanks!
    Many thanks also to Mike for providing this nice space for discussion and exchanging information.

Paul
    kasos
    Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 08:36 AM

Hi Paul,

While it's clear that the moniker "tar" has been fundamental in the later derivation of terms for many different instruments, it may be a little unrealistic to look for such a word-root to have retained a single set of fixed meanings over a thousand years and multiple cultures on three or more different continents.... This begins with the recognition that words and instrument types can have patterns of spread and development that are quite arbitrary or independent of each other - for example, there never was much in common in terms of construction between the Indonesian rebab and the medieval English rebec, though both are ultimately derived from the same word, and both are bowed instruments. The problem is quite fundamental, and inescapable: when someone develops an alternate form of an instrument, they sometimes retain the old name for the new instrument, or they can develop a new name - in each case, confusion and paradoxes can arise, since the new instrument may be very similar to the old one, and have a different name, or the new instrument can very different from the old one, and keep the same name...

Are you aware of the barbat, which is the Persian form of the oud? (general info can be found on sites such as barbat.us/about barbat.htm.) In considering the significance of differences/similarities between instruments in a basic short neck wide bowl family, and a long necked, small bowl family of instruments on the other hand, you might also consider deepening your research into other long necked, fretted instruments, such as the tambur, or tamboor (versions of which are found in Iran, India and just about everywhere in the former Ottoman empire including the Balkans). You might also find it useful to know more about the different instruments in the saz family (cura, baglama, divan, etc., including their relative the modern Greek Bouzouki).

Once you become aware of all of these other instruments, I think you will find reason to be cautious about generalizations. Take frets, for example. It's true that most of the latter (long necked) type of instrument are fretted, but not exclusively (in Kirghizistan the national instrument is the long necked komuz, which is unfretted, and one of the ancestors of the saz family, the kopuz, is not fretted), while, conversely, it's also true that some members of the first group (the oud family), such as the Renaissance lute, are fretted...not to mention the Chinese pipa...

The other thing is that historically, the construction of the guitar appears to have been primarily inspired by the oud/lute, rather than by the long necked family of instruments.... So I can't help but feel just a little awkward at seeing it potentially grouped with the long-necked group just because of the use of "tar" in the name and the presence of frets.

It's all rather fun to think about, though....

By the way, I should indicate thanks to you for introducing me to Liu Fang's pipa videos, earlier in this thread. Before you brought the subject up, when I had been looking for an instrument to accompany my erhu fiddle, I was leaning heavily toward a zither-type instrument (probably a guzheng), but I've now reconsidered.... This week a full size pipa became available on E-bay for a very modest price, so I've decided to take the plunge and get one....

Take care, Mark
    Paul007
    Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 11:48 PM

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for the info and for pointing out the site about the barbat (http://www.barbat.us/aboutbarbat.htm). It is the first time I heard about this name, and indeed the site contains some very interesting information. So the barbat was made of whole piece of wood, similar to pipa! That may explain the puzzle. According to this site, the Persian barbat was taken into the Arabic world, and became "oud". If we could find out since when it is called "oud", then it would be great help. I wonder if anybody in the forum know about it.
    It could be "barbat" which was brought to China even before the barbat was taken to the Arabic world which became oud. Also the name "pipa" sounds more similar to "barbat" though according to dictionary, the pronunciation for the two Chinese characters standing for the instrument came from the sound of two pipa techniques produced by playing forwards and backwards with the plectrum. The upper parts of both characters are the same "picture" representing any string instrument; the lower parts are only phonetically meaningful, pronounced respectively [pee] and [paa].
    The history about the oud from this site is quite different from the previous ones. It seems to be related with the beginning of Islam, which shouldn't be that old, whereas previously I learnt that the oud exists over thousand years before Christ. Now the question: Is the oud really the decedent of barbat, or was it created independently?

I found it is fascinating to relate history with music, and with the migration of people ... though I agree with you, this is not an easy subject at all.

I am interested in any relevant information about this subject. Thank you again!

Paul

Paul
    Brian Prunka
    Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 12:12 PM

Interestingly enough, the world music institute is sponsoring a concert next month involving oud, pipa, and guitar as a sort of lineage-themed performance. Simon Shaheen (oud), Min Xiou-Fen (pipa) and Vic Juris (guitar)

http://www.worldmusicinstitute.org/mahrajan/mahrajan.html
    Paul007
    Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
    .... By the way, I should indicate thanks to you for introducing me to Liu Fang's pipa videos, earlier in this thread. Before you brought the subject up, when I had been looking for an instrument to accompany my erhu fiddle, I was leaning heavily toward a zither-type instrument (probably a guzheng), but I've now reconsidered.... This week a full size pipa became available on E-bay for a very modest price, so I've decided to take the plunge and get one....

Take care, Mark

Hi Mark,

Just continue with my last message - how is your project? You play erhu? That is a beautiful instrument. And now the pipa! Both seem to be tough instrument to learn. Can you upload some of your recordings to share?
    Yes, I love Liu Fang's playing. I am glad that you appreciate.
    Thank you again for all the infos and links. I have learnt a lot, but appear to be more confused with the history ...

Take care,

Paul

Paul
    Paul007
    Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
    Originally posted by Brian Prunka
    Interestingly enough, the world music institute is sponsoring a concert next month involving oud, pipa, and guitar as a sort of lineage-themed performance. Simon Shaheen (oud), Min Xiou-Fen (pipa) and Vic Juris (guitar)

http://www.worldmusicinstitute.org/mahrajan/mahrajan.html

That is interesting! I wish to be able to attend the concert. Thank you for pointing it out.

In Montreal at the Arabic world music festival, there is one concert of pipa and oud, with Liu Fang and Yousra Dhahbi http://www.festivalarabe.com/fma/content.jsp?sid=49606535719222164811430179786&ctid=1000320&cnid=1000688.

Paul
    Peyman
    Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 06:39 PM

Hi Paul and Mark,
    This is an interesting discussion. In my opinion, trying to pin point the roots of an instrument is a bit futile. Many nations calim to have made the first instrument or have the ancestor to a particular instrument, (especially the case with guitars). But the truth is that instruments change through time based on technology, history, fashion, creativity etc. (sometimes with different names, or even different shapes but the same name). And it becomes very hard to distinguish fact and fiction.
    I'd like to say that I wouldn't put too much weight on what Mr. Behrouznia has put on his website about the history of Barbat and Oud. I really doubt his historical account (what are his sources?) But to clarify what he contends as the history of oud being a persian instrument, I can tell you about one of his interviews for a persian music journal. He said that prior to the Islamic invasion of Iran (Persia) about 1400 years ago, the Arabs had a skin covered instrument (I forget the name, but once I find that article, I'll cite it). Once they saw the Barbat (all wood instrument, named either after the historical musician of the Sasani court or named after a chest or even named after the shape of a bird), they duplicated it and called the oud, which replaced their instrument and then found its way to Europe.
    Many people have tried to duplicate Barbats based on old pictures found in tex books and so on. The replications are not consistent, sometimes the instrument look like ouds sometimes they look like setars. But these pictures are not from the era prior to Islam. They are either based on ouds played in the arab and persian courts or based on written description (very inaccurate) of the Barbat from the time prior to Islam, probably about 1000 years ago, after a mini cultural renaissance in Iran.
    Mr. Behrouznia is very skilled and quite an amazing player, and I have seen him live. His barbat is custom made (an oud with an extended neck to allow him to play the Persian Dastgah music, much like a Lavta). But his historical account is probably not an accurate one.
    kasos
    Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 08:07 AM

Hi Peyman, Paul.... Nice to hear from the both of you again. Peyman, I think your caution about the reliability of Behrouznia's historical claims is very sound. Clearly, relying on any single source (especially an internet source not subject to peer or academic review) is always going to be something of a gamble. I suppose that's part of the attraction of a site like this forum, in that you get the benefit of many viewpoints, from all over the world, and in many cases that leads to misconceptions or inaccuracies being pointed out (usually in the friendliest of manners!). All the more credit is due to Mike and the other site administrators for making this all possible...

In partial defence of Mr. Behrouznia, I think that while some of the detail of his claims may be somewhat overblown or speculative, I think that there is a broader point, which his contribution helps underline, if only indirectly, which is that Persia/Iran has had a very important, and often too little appreciated role in transmitting styles and instruments both Eastward to China and India, and westward to the Middle East (and from there, ultimately to Europe and Africa). It would be difficult to conceive of this process occurring without at least some local input from Persia/Iran along the way, and perhaps this creative contribution is greater than is usually imagined....

Paul, as to details of my own situation, I think I can call the Greek themed play my group did this summer a success - we had about 1100 people attend the performances in my home community of Flin Flon, and another 1700 or so attend a series of performances in Winnipeg - as a result, our show wound up with the second best attendance out of 136 acts at the 2005 Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada) Fringe Festival. (The Winnipeg Fringe festival had the highest attendance of any Fringe festival in North America in 2004, and although I don't know the comparative figuures for this year, I would imagine it was still pretty competitive....) Reaction to our play was very positive, especially to the music, which featured oud, lavta, lyra and kemence, along with a number of Western instruments.

As for my own instrument purchasing and playing, I still haven't received the pipa I ordered yet (drat!), but the full size Morin Khuur from Mongolia arrived a little ahead of schedule, when my friend got back from there this past weekend. It's a new instrument which my friend, interpreter in hand, purchased directly at the main workshop/factory in Ulan Bator, together with replacement strings, hard case, the works. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it's got a cello like range, but no fingerboard and horsehair strings, so it's going to take a little while to really get under control.... A nice challenge though, and certainly adds variety to the things you can do with a bow....

A final note about the erhu, which you mentioned, Paul.... Though I can now play simpler sorts of tunes with relatively good intonation, I'm really not ready to post recordings with it yet - maybe give me a few months... Though I'm making some strides, the biggest difference between my erhu playing right now and what you hear on recordings is the vibrato - the typical modern Chinese recording features wide vibrato basically throughout, which makes it sound a lot like a classical western violin player. Oddly enough, though I can do classical violin vibrato, vibrato requires a different technique, physically, on the erhu - the absence of a fingerboard being a big part of this. So I have to learn to do vibrato all over again...

My other notable piece of erhu information is this tidbit, which I recently picked up: when Mel Gibson did "Passion of the Christ", he and the film score writer looked for an instrument to act as the "leitmotiv" for the devil.... and chose the erhu. I'm going to guess that the snakeskin resonator is all they needed by way of connection....for goodness sakes! I don't know whether to laugh or be indignant, I guess Mel had lots of other people complaining about his film, anyway, other than erhu players.... Anyway, I suppose that on one level it gave some welcome exposure (not to mention paid work) for a very talented erhu player with far too few performance opportunities...

Take care, everyone....
    Peyman
    Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-22-2005 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
    It would be difficult to conceive of this process occurring without at least some local input from Persia/Iran along the way, and perhaps this creative contribution is greater than is usually imagined....

I agree with you completely. Just the geographic location of Persia helps that cause. A lot of sources do say that Barbat is the grandfather of the oud and similar instruments.
    But what I have a problem is this statment in his site: "After Islam’s attack to Iran this instrument was taken to Arabia and after a while it came back to Iran with a bit change in it." I just think it's a weak statement filled with bitterness. Even in his interviews, he seems bitter about people identifying the oud as an Arabic instrument.
    I think he would do a greater service, if he were to compile a list of resources on his site and give some technical data. To give him credit, he is writing a book on "barbat" which he says will come out in a few years. Maybe he can shed a light on the history a little more clearly that way.

By the way, I was unaware that they use the erhu because of its resonator (I thought they used a synthesizer).
    Take care
    Paul007
    Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 02:10 PM

Hi Mark, Hi Peyman,
    I feel so lucky to have dropped into this forum by chance. The discussion with you both a very enriching and inspiring. Thank you. I have learnt a lot about the oud-lute-pipa thing. I agree with you both in that the historical threads are not easy to track down. I am wondering if there is an international institution specializing these issues? On the other hand, I can imagine that some musicians are also inspired and venture to bring all these instruments together. We seem to live in a very interesting time.

Mark, I am sorry that your pipa has not been delivered yet. But what you are doing sounds very interesting. I searched the website and found the following: http://www.winnipegfringe.com/generic/, very interesting ideas to bring various audience together in a easy way. I'd love to see one. Please excuse my geography. Where is Flin Flon? It doesn't sound like English name. How about Winnipeg folk music festival? Are they similar in ideas?

By the way I love the Morin Khur playing traditional Mongolian melodies. But I never had the chance to see live performance yet.

The story about the erhu sounds funny. If you listen music before and after the cultural revolution, there are big changes. It seems to me that the Chinese "modernization" means "westernization", which certainly hurt some traditional things, including music. But there seem to have some "renaissance" too. Anyway, it is a long story.

Thank you for the discussions. I enjoy it!

Take care

Paul
    kasos
    Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 07:29 AM

Hi Paul

Re: Flin Flon - This rather unusual place-name is not derived from any particular language, and it's become customary to offer some form of explanation. Flin Flon is the short form or nickname of "Flintabbety Flonatin", the name of a character in a dime-store science fiction novel from 1905 or so, called "The Sunless City". "Flinty" (another nickname often heard locally) goes to the center of the earth, where he encounters an unknown civilisation, a little like the much more famous Jules Verne story, from which "The Sunless City" seems to be inspired.

"The Sunless City" is anything but a literary classic, but it does feature one passage which led to it being immortalized, sort of, as the name of a City (albeit a very small one). This passage, right at the outset of the book, describes a bottomless lake, through which metallic gleams can be seen.

The present day Flin Flon is a mining community, and the prospectors who discovered the original mineral deposit found a vein of copper/gold/zinc ore extending downward into a lake. One of them had just read the book (nothing else to do on a cold northern night, and even a bad book is better than no entertainment at all), and immediately connected the literary reference to what they had just found. They started calling the site the "Flin Flon deposit", and the name stuck.

At one time, the municipal government in Flin Flon bragged that it was the only place in North America named after a science fiction character. I just hope nobody decides to update the reference to something like "Captain Kirk" or "Luke Skywalker".... "Flin Flon" is quirky enough, thank you....

Re Mel Gibson and the erhu: I've had the chance to research this question a little further, and it seems there is another side to this story. In particular, I should let the composer, John Debney, tell his version of events. You can find an interview with Debney at http://www.tracksounds.com/specialfeatures/Interviews/interview_joh...

He describes in some detail about how Mel was looking for something other than standard horror movie schtick, and how at one point Debney suggested the erhu, because of its "beautiful exotic sound that has this human-vocal quality to it". Mel loved the idea and it became the devil's theme instrument.

I think Debney is genuine in his appreciation for the erhu. He took the trouble of including other non western instruments, such as the Duduk, in the score. Moreover, the devil in "Passion" is not your standard horns and hoofs type, but has this sort of androgynous, David Bowie-like charm. The erhu sound can be both exotic and suave, and certainly it does the job musically of conveying both these qualities.

So Debney's off the hook, but is Mel? There are all sorts of instruments with a more direct connection to the middle east (including the oud, but also a number of bowed strings) that also potentially have the suave and exotic quality that was being looked for..... I suppose it would have to remain in the realm of conjecture, but it's hard to picture the director of a film which is as literal minded as "Passion" being anything but tickled at using a snakeskin instrument to represent the devil.... You decide....

Take care, Mark
    Peyman
    Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 02:19 PM

That's an interesting interview. I didn't pay attention to the music much. I have to see it again.
    Paul007
    Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-29-2005 at 12:04 PM

oups, see Posts: 25 ;)

Paul
    Paul007
    Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-29-2005 at 12:05 PM

Hi Peyman,

I also agree with you about your statement regarding the relation between barbat and oud. My main confusion is that the time when Islam took over Persia was much later compared to the history of either barbat or oud: it is in the 7th century. There must be some records or paintings from that time or earlier. Is there any indication from historical records or paintings how the oud look like, and how it was manufactured before the 7th century? And how the Barbat looked like? The early history seems to be based on legends.

Thank you

Paul
    Paul007
    Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-29-2005 at 03:47 PM

Hi Mark,

That is a beautiful essay about Flin Flon. I thought the name might come from the natives, or some of the languages of the new immigrants. But it is from a fiction. You are good writer. I enjoy reading it. How big is the population of Flin Flon? What are they living on? Still gold mining? That is really amazing story. Thank you so much.

I wonder if Mel Gibson has ever been exposed to a Vietnamese Dan Bau. It is a mono cord with haunting sound. There is a piece in Liu Fang's website, but in the Chinese site only. I can place a link here:
    http://www.philmultic.com/liufang/MP3/yu_zhou.html
    Never mind about the language, just click on the "sound" icon you can hear it. It is dan bau and guzheng duet (see the photo in the same site). But on the English site, it is guzheng solo. Just would like to hear how you think about the sound compared to erhu.

The link you placed in the above message doesn't work. I'd love to read the interview. Could you have a check?

I haven't seen "Passion of Christ" yet. I'll try to rent a video tape. I become very curious about the film.

Anyway, the erhu was apparently not Chinese from the origin, as its name reflects: The two Chinese character "er" and "hu" stand literally "two" and "foreign", implying "two stringed bowed instrument originated from foreign lands". I guess the resonnant body was originally covered with goat skin. Somehow, when it was introduced to China, snake skin began to be in use. But I don't know who began to use the snake skin, because snake is not a favorite animal in the western cultures, or at least not supposed to be used as part of the instrument that is often used in prayers. [On the other hand, Chinese people don't care. I know a famous soup that can only be found in special restaurants is made by cooking snake (not alive, of course, but has to be fresh). I tried once in a Cantonese restaurent, very delicious indeed!]. Therefore, I guess it might be Chinese people who began to use the snake skin. There is also a pluck string called sanxian (three string, see http://www.philmultic.com/home/instruments/#sanxian), whose resonnant body is also covered with snake skin. The sound must be quite different from those made of goat skin, but to what extent, I never have the chance to compare them. maybe you have both in your collection, and can tell us what is the major difference.

I'll definitely see the film "Passion".

By the way, I heard J. S. Bach composed a beautiful piece based on the same theme. I am wondering if the film has any thing to do with Bach's composition.

Take care,

Paul
    Peyman
    Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 07:03 PM

Hi Paul,
    For one thing pictures or statues can be decieving, especially the ones from antiquity (and some of these can't even be dated). You can't really conculde shape or dimensions. Yes there are pictures from that time but how accurate are they? The era in question is the Sassani period in Persia. You can see some pictures in this site: http://www.oudmajid.com/ouds.html (go down the page, right under the Egyptian picture).
    You can also read the history given by the site owner. The logical conclusion is that the father of the oud was more likely a mesopotamian instrument (the hot bed of civilisation) and existed there for a long time. The barbat might be the persian version of it. Also many persian poets and writers of the antiquity wrote that musical instruments were created by greeks (Plato in particular, who is known as the "hakeem").
    I am trying to find a translated copy of a book by Farabi, an islamic philosopher from 9th or 10th century who wrote many books about music. Only one survives (called the Great Music). He describes many instruments of that period as well as his own inventions. Apparently, he played his own created instrument with which he could make people laugh or cry.

Maybe I can get more clues about the origin of the barbat with that book.
    David Parfitt
    Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 04:53 AM

Dear Peyman

You can buy copies of al-Farabi's books from the Libraire Paul Geuthner in France. As far as I know the books contain the original Arabic text and a French translation by Baron Rodolphe d'Erlanger, but I can't be 100% sure. Here is some more info about the books:

Book 1
    Book 2

Best wishes

David
     Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top