Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wadea el Safi.. video
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 04:01 AM
Wadea el Safi.. video

Hello this is somewhat oud related.
Iam wondering if anyone has a video of wade3 el Safi playing oud?

Iam posting this video wich features a huge arabic band and a performance. This song makes me cry everytime I get chills.. Thats arabic music right there!

http://www.mazikana.com/Videos/Search/W/Mazikana_Wadi&Najwa---W...

enjoy
Samir
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 06:17 AM

Samir,

The file is 109 MB. On my system it was going to take about 6 hours to download, so I gave up on it. You couldn't just hum a few bars could you ? ;)

Regards,

Greg
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
Samir,

The file is 109 MB. On my system it was going to take about 6 hours to download, so I gave up on it. You couldn't just hum a few bars could you ? ;)

Regards,

Greg

Tell me about it. Mine said 2.5 hours, and after about 10 minutes it disconnected from the server.

Samir, if you have it downloaded, send it to me and I'll post it to my website. (kalliopios (at) gmail.com

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 08:04 AM

Yah I realized..
the file is hosted on a Hi hits per day arabic music and in the morning over here is probably where they get the most trafic. This is only one song but its high quality. Maybe I could compress it a bit and email it to you.
Could you recomend a program?. Cuz I dont think I can make these sorts of attachements. Its a nice video but He's not playing oud in it. I have heard him play before but I have never seen a video.

Thanks
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 08:28 PM

Hey guys,

I was able to download this file earlier today. I compressed it significantly. Also Oudman has sent me a file of Wadi singing and playing oud. So here are the two files.

Take care,
Mike

1. Wadih and Najwa - 8.20 MB
2. Wadih on Oud - Ala Layla - 2.82 MB

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 03:55 AM

Thank you Mike
Wallah your too much. :applause:
Also thanks to Oudman for that wonderfull video.
I really like wadih al Safi... so that made my day. Let me know what you tought of the vids?

Many Thanks
Samir
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 09:30 AM

I love Wadih! I've never been to the old country, but he just oozes "Lebanon"

revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 11:22 AM

Oh man that second video was so incredible. If anyone has an extensive collection of Wadii El Safi songs, I would really appreciate an mp3 cd or access to them. He reminded me of Farid in that second video.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 12:09 PM

Wadih is great. Revaldo...you ever hear Allalah Teoud? It was composed by Farido for Wadih. Gimme a couple of hours and I'll attach it.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 05:08 PM

I was watching Al Laylu ya layla again. Wow. Wadih is like the last of the traditional old-school singers. I don't listen really to much new arabic music. Is there anyone who is singing the old style music nowadays, with the same feeling and quality? I'd love to know about them. I'm talking pure traditional stuff. No electronics, keyboards, electric guitar (ok a little here and there is ok---Allala Teoud has some and that's an incredible song), etc. If I was to ask, after Wadih and Fairuz are gone, who will we be saying is the best?

palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 07:14 PM

I know theres a couple but very minimal because this music doesnt sell anymore, rather the pop junk is what people go far.

Its pretty much limited to kathem el saher from iraq. Najwa Karam will do it once in a while. Ass el hilanni sold out and went to pop.

There is one guy tho from a palestinian village called salfit near nablus. His name is amr hassan and he won second place on the arab superstar competition. Most of his performances on the show were classical songs, hes good for the most part but i think his tempo is too slow which makes it a lil boring. but hes a brother so i gotta support him. i can post a few songs from the cd i got of his superstar performances but its no wadih. i dont think there will every be anther wadih. he is so great.

him and najwa karam did a concert in san francisco a year or so ago. it was on easter. It was really nice and on top of all that he sang at the local arab catholic church for midnight mass, i didnt go though becuase I am orthodox I didnt want to make it seem like I would only go to a church because a famous person is there so I chose to atttend liturgy at the ara orthodox church, but imn sure his hymns must have been great.

Also I like sabah el fakhri very much but some people argue that he is not as humble as wadih.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 08:39 PM

In my humble opinion,
Melhim Zein is the greatest thing to come out of lebanon after a dry run of a couple years.
Although his studio album isnt so classical his performance at superstar al arabi tv show. was absolutly wonderfull. He is the sound of the Beqaa
http://music.6arab.com/mel7im..enta-3omry.ram
http://music.6arab.com/mel7im..deggo-alme7baj.ram

Fares Karam is another great singer that is forced into puting pop stuff out. But when he decides to put something more classical Its nice. He's the sound of the mountains of lebanon. The strongest voice of lebanon right now Imo.
http://songs.6arab.com/karam..kokteel.ram
http://5aleej.6arab.com/fares-karam..ma-bo3d-balaki.ram
I LOVE DABKE!

Najwa Karam has nice songs too. She does include at least one or two instrument recorded song. This song goes through different maqams Iam not able to identify and its verry nice.
http://song.6arab.com/najwa..al-3omer-meshwar.ram

Wael Jassar has a wole album recorded with a real instruments and its mostly remakes of old songs. Its also nice but his voice can be anoying.
http://music.6arab.com/jassar..olli-3amallak-eeh.ram

And Finaly Georges Wassouf. Depending at what age you listen to his songs. If you like a traditional Maweel this is probably the best to listen to
http://song.6arab.com/george-wassof_yally-te3ebna-seneen.ram
http://song.6arab.com/wassof..ana-mesafer.ram
A couple of years latter (his voice took a turn but I still like it only its different... Rumor has it that its hashish abuse caused by his fame)
http://music.6arab.com/wasoof..6abeeb-garra7.ram
He still retains the nick name of Sultan of Tarab

Regards Samir.
I think I can hear Jameel screaming OUFFFF!!!!! OUFFFFF!! OUFFF!!!!!
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 08:54 PM

George Wassouf supposedy had throat cancer, thats why his voice is like that. Everyone can agree that as a young man he was phenomenal. I dunno if I like him as he is today. And ya there are lot of rumors in lebanon that he did more than hashish.

i never really gave melhem zein or fares karem a chance. Some people like that khoury guy, I think its marwan. I could be wrong tho.

I still think we need to rely on the old timers who are still around like melhem barakat and there is an egyptian singer out who does orchestral music but she likes to incorporate these weird hand gestures in her viual performances i guess as a way to belnd in botth worlds but i forget her name too.

I really liek assi el hillani as a an artist but im not a fan of his style. I have a record of a hawarra he did and it was great.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 08:59 PM

Oh I forgot to mention when I visited baskinta in lebanon. I me my friends aunt. Her daughter married wadih el safi's son and I got to see all the wonderful wedding pictures. It was surreal how grand the wedding was and this girl came from a humble village in the mountains.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 09:43 PM

Thats a nice story. My father was actualy on a plane sitting next to wade3 el Safi's son. Wade3 was sitting in front of the plane. He told my father that in general they have to keep tourring in order to make ends meat. He said it was a shame for Lebanon's Folclore music's shining light but young people dont attend the shows in lebanon. I have heard many reports that he's sitting at home boared out his mind. Because he doesnt get demand like before. That wedding must have been phenomenal.

Oh.. Do you mean Wael Kfoury?
Marwan khoury isnt so much into traditional music. he's more of a pop artist.
Wael kfoury plays oud and sings. He used to be really good but he's taken a turn away from that towards pop music but he's one that I can say I like his pop music.

Also There is still SABAH. She has had a tremendous influence in lebanese music. She even sang with farido..
so Its not a small thing. she has traditional songs and folcloric ones.

And also the dearly missed Zaki Nassif who was the rejuvenator of lebanese folcloric music.
http://songs.6arab.com/zaki...eshtegna-kteer1.ram
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 10:55 PM

From what I understood, wadi was pretty well off because my friends aunt said they spent big money on the wedding. If im not mistaken, he has 2 sons. One is a musician and one is a businessman who does something with computers and he lives in canada. That is the one my friends cousin married.

I can totally relate to what ou saying about the yoth and in the response to wadi's music. He is one of those guys you would want to live forever and he looks like he loves doing it. I should say the same problem happened when he came, the show was dead, but when they put a nancy ajram concert and the house is packed.

no maybe i misunderstood who marwan khoury is but i know wael kfoury. I dont care for him, hes very <b>rooster</b>y as a person and dont care much for his music.

My uncle played percussion once for ragheb alame in LA, He said he walked away disgusted at raghebs atitude. I would tell you what he called him but I dont think it is permitted on this board. ha ha
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 11:35 PM

Ha ha. your right its probably not permited.
Iam on the same page with you about wael kfoury's attitude. unfortunetly he's been struck by the fame bug and it seems like when that hapens you because a snoby prick.!! hehe if you think he's bad tho.. you should see nawal el zoughbi.

As far as Wade3...It doesnt really mather his financial situation. The point is he's not shown the respect he diserves.
Also about the youth dont think its everyone cuz... I think at 21 Iam still pretty young...I like to think so anyways hehe. And I love old music.
My father doesnt understand... how I can like it.
But thats how it is. Iam old school baby!
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by palestine48
I know theres a couple but very minimal because this music doesnt sell anymore, rather the pop junk is what people go far.

Its pretty much limited to kathem el saher from iraq. Najwa Karam will do it once in a while. Ass el hilanni sold out and went to pop.

There is one guy tho from a palestinian village called salfit near nablus. His name is amr hassan and he won second place on the arab superstar competition. Most of his performances on the show were classical songs, hes good for the most part but i think his tempo is too slow which makes it a lil boring. but hes a brother so i gotta support him. i can post a few songs from the cd i got of his superstar performances but its no wadih. i dont think there will every be anther wadih. he is so great.

him and najwa karam did a concert in san francisco a year or so ago. it was on easter. It was really nice and on top of all that he sang at the local arab catholic church for midnight mass, i didnt go though becuase I am orthodox I didnt want to make it seem like I would only go to a church because a famous person is there so I chose to atttend liturgy at the ara orthodox church, but imn sure his hymns must have been great.

Also I like sabah el fakhri very much but some people argue that he is not as humble as wadih.

Thanks for the info. That's a great story about Wadi's concert. I've found that popular music singers don't make the best chanters anyway. It's a completely different ethos. Do you know if he's performing here again?

Samir---Wow. Thanks for all the links. I'll let you know my impressions after I digest all that information. Give me a couple days.

revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 02:14 PM

One of things that bothers me the most in a lot of the more modern arab music is the use of western percussion. I think it completely drains the music of any sense of tarab. I really don't want to hear a snare drum on 2 and 4 when listening to arab music.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 09:49 PM

I tought I would bring back this thread and keep it going. Fell free to add any files from an artist that you think is keeping the traditional flame alive. I posted a few songs before up there if you browse up. I found a video link for the same artist above Wael Jassar of lebanon. There are no electric instruments in this clip its a pretty impressive orchestra as well!
Enjoy and if you have something to share from the likes of Wadea el Safi and others please post them

http://www.orientaltunes.net/realvideo/Biddi_Shoufak_Kil_Yawm-ISDN....
ishkandar
Oud Lover

Mood: happy being miserable

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 12:34 AM

Hey Everyone! Snowing and a lot of ice here. There is sleet and freezing rain coming done on us in Pennsylvania. (What is the difference between sleet, hail, and/or freezing rain? All of it eventually turns into slush, anyway.)

I think you guys might be talking about the Wadi el Safi VCD that I obtained from http://www.arabiatower.com. It has an older picture of Wadi on the cover holding an oud. But it is a concert for a television show. He is playing the oud and singing with a full band, a guitarist that sings in Spanish, and a female Spanish impressionist dancer. These are a must see. Possesses six great songs with some that you all of mentioned, Al Laylu ya layla and Ya Rayish. Even though he is aging, he still has it. You should here him "oaffff!"

This site also has two old, old VCD's of Farid el Attrache. One is clips of several movies. The other is a concert that shows him when he has aged considerablely. Although he may be aging and sick, he can still jam with lighting quick movements. Check them out --- http://www.arabiatower.com.

--Alex
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 06:28 PM

Oh Samir you had to remind me. Wadee3 el-Safi to me is a symbol and a reminder of pre-war Lebanon. It was a jewel vibrant with life, freedom, hope and strength. Artists from other ME countries used to come to Lebanon and make comedy shows to criticize their countries and stay in Lebanon until it is safe for them to return (Ghawar el Tosheh) if any one remembers. Lebanese were free and obligated to keep their government and president working for Lebanon and they could freely say anything they want without the fear of ending up in a mass grave, a foreign jail or blown up by car bomb on the way home. Those were the days and the Layali of Lebanon, the old Fairuz plays and Sabah plays. I long for these days and they are gone forever. This is why every time I listen to Wadee3 I am saddened and reminded of the great loss. For me, the most emotional song by Wadee3 is "be teer ya tyre." it is very close to home in my case. Music is strong and sometimes just as powerful a weapon, the West is full of such examples (Midnight Oil, REM, The Clash, Michelle Shock, Bob Dylan, ....)

Thanks for bringing this to life, at least in cyberspace. .V,,

Elie

Go To Top