Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Quality learner ouds
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 9-20-2005 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason
Greg could you post a soundclip of the oud? Do you think there would be much difference in sound between the padauk and mohogany or is it more of an aesthetical issue? I plan on ordering one of these later this week, it looks great. Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

I have fitted Aquila strings, so it will take a few days for them to settle in before I can post a sound file.
I doubt the bowl material would make a big difference, but you should ask Haluk.

Regards,

Greg
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-20-2005 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
My Haluk "learner oud" arrived yesterday. I am very impressed with it. It is better than I expected at the price.

It was very safely packed in a purpose built ply box and surrounded by foam (and its gig bag). Included were three (learner) rishas and a training CD.

First impressions:
The tuning pegs are very good quality and the fit is perfect. It is a pleasure to tune and it holds tuning well. I used Arabic tuning. The action is also perfect (about 2 mm where the neck meets the bowl).
The bottom end is surprisingly deep for a Turkish oud. The treble strings ( gg and cc) are not as bright as one would wish, but that may be improved with a string change (I am going to try Aquilas on it).
A friend of mine with a student oud removed the shamsiyya and he says that it opened the treble sound up a lot. I doubt that I will do that though, I don't want to ruin what is a nice little instrument.

I recommend one of these to anybody wanting an inexpensive second instrument to take on holidays etc., or for anybody starting out and wanting a good starter instrument. It is very playable.

Regards Greg ,Congratulations on that pretty Oud,I will get one too ,Try it and give it as a gift. The Oud looks great I was waiting for your comments,And they are positive .What color i need to specefy .I send an email to Mr. Haluk saying that I want the same oud as Greg. I will try it never had a Turkish oud but i will try one and then get a real expensive one from Haluk the Pro once that he has,But i can tune it to Arabic,And should I change the strings,i have here at least 8 deferent brands you name it and I got it.I bought a real big quantity of strings they come handy .Funny when they shipp ouds and they are in my room under the humidifire i sudenly hear strings pop. Done forget that ouds are 5 to 6 days traveling the world...Best regards and lots of good health to all of us..Samir ,California
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-20-2005 at 07:11 PM

After posting photos of the Haluk learner oud, I realised that I have never posted a photo of my real true-love.

Here she is.
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 07:23 AM
To Mr.Haluk Erydin

I have been Emailing you but no respond ? I am interested in getting the same oud as Greg got ,The exact one and would like to know how to pay you???Paypal is the fastest way if you accept or a credit card? Can you please let me know.Thank you Samir,California
Eric
Oud Lover

Mood: Eager to learn!

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 09:33 AM

I'm jealous, Greg! Mine is still in transit somewhere, probably stalled at customs in New York. Thanks for posting the pictures, though. They'll keep me going until the oud itself arrives...

Eric
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 03:41 PM

I placed my order with Haluk yesterday, hopefully customs won't hold it up too long. I'm looking forward to it very much
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 05:00 PM

Haluk Is in Ankara , His mother past away , I just got an Email from him this morning .I like to place an order
but no one there to take the orders till he is back .thats what i think , since I wrote him a few days ago and he did not respond ,I was a bit worried but now I know why.So I think we should give it a few more days till he gats back and we can comunicate with him. Best Regards Samir ,California
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 06:18 PM

Yes I don't expect he will be able to ship my oud for a few days or a week that is fine. I hope he is doing well it is very difficult to lose a close family member
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 03:42 AM

Dear Friends,

I have just turned back from Ankara last night.Ofcourse to lose my mother is a big regret for me but this is the life,someday,I will pass also.

Jason,Tuesday or Wednesday I will post your oud and inform you.

Regards all.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 07:49 AM

Welcome back friend and brother Haluk.Glad to have you back.

Regards Samir ,California
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 10:23 AM

I just placed an order for onre of these ouds same oud as Greg has,As he recomended this oud,But i like to try it and buy a better one from my friend Haluk.I never had a Turkish oud ,Where i have a Turkish blood from my Grand Parents .Haha I should have a Turkish oud.I will try this one before i order an expensive one.Arael Pro one with the hard fiberglass case the $1600 oud.
Thank you Haluk for shipping the oud next Wed, That is very nice of you. The pictures Greg Posted are very nice looks like amillion $ oud.Really I was impressed by his pics.and his feedback was very positive.Thank you abd may Allah Bless you ,Samir,California
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 06:20 PM

Jason, Eric, Nissim, Samir,

As this is a very inexpensive instrument, the supplied strings are of limited quality. I changed my mind (from Aquila) and fitted Pyramid lute strings to mine. It came alive. (The Aquila strings may have been the better choice, I will experiment later)
The new strings are still settling in and I may need to raise the action a shade to compensate for the lower tension of these strings, but I am very happy with it.

As promised, I have attached my first attempt at recording this instrument. I used a little reverb, but no other effects or EQ.

Regards,

Greg
tezza
Oud Addict

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 03:25 AM

Sounds good Greg. Sounds like Jason will be off to a good start with one of those ouds.
Eric
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 06:29 AM

Thanks, Greg--both for the advice on strings and for the recording! It sounds great, and I can't wait to get started.

Mine should come any day now; I'll let you all know when it does.

Eric
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 06:34 AM

Great playing Greg! Eric, let us know when you get it, I'm curious as to how long I can expect customs to hold it here in the USA.

Greg, do the lute strings affect the tonality of the instrument differently than oud strings?
DD
Oud Maniac

Mood: one mirror reflecting another

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg

The new strings are still settling in and I may need to raise the action a shade to compensate for the lower tension of these strings, but I am very happy with it.

Greetings Greg. If you do raise the action, will you simply place a shim under the nut, or...?

Thank you,
Don
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 08:42 PM

Thanks for the nice comments. I'll try to play something a little more authentic when the strings settle in.

Jason, I can't answer your question about the lute strings. I have not used any of the Pyramid "oud" sets, only the lute strings. There are several forum members that will be able to give you much better advice than I.

DD, The (slight) problem is not with the instrument itself, it is because the strings I used are of low tension and were designed to be used on a 60 cm instrument.
If it still buzzes after the strings settle in, I will either re-arrange the way the strings enter the bridge or change to an Aquila Arabic string set.

Regards,

Greg
Elias
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 01:59 AM

Hello Greg,
Your playing is very intimate! and the ouds sounds really goog...I love Pyramid Lute strings a lot, i use them on Nahat because the have low tension and didn't stress the instrument...let us listen if you change to aquila...
For the buzz, did you tried pulling the strings nearby the bridge?
salamat:airguitar:
elias
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elias
Hello Greg,
Your playing is very intimate! and the ouds sounds really goog...I love Pyramid Lute strings a lot, i use them on Nahat because the have low tension and didn't stress the instrument...let us listen if you change to aquila...
For the buzz, did you tried pulling the strings nearby the bridge?
salamat:airguitar:
elias

Hello Elias,

Thanks for your kind comments. Did you notice the picture further up the page? It's #1032, made around the same time as your #1039.
We have one other thing in common:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1501#pid957...
Now all I gotta do is learn to play like you :bowdown:

I did the string thing on the learner oud and it has improved it. But I think the Aquilas will be the ultimate answer.

Regards,

Greg
Elias
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 06:27 AM

Dear Greg,
yes, I forgot to tell you in the post about it!The oud it's the same as mine!but i haven't the armrest at the end of the soundboard...lovely oud...
But what's a real love is that AMAZING Roufan!oh, it's so beautiful and the story behind is nice...
Have you a sound file of it?i'd love to listen to its sound....:bounce:
regards
elias
Eric
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 11:04 AM

It's here! Arrived not three minutes ago--in fact, I haven't taken it out of the package yet. How's that for loyalty to Mike's Oud Forums?

Jason--you asked how long it took--let's see: Haluk mailed it on the 7th, so in total, 19 days, which seems now just a little longer than the 14 days Haluk had predicted, although every day that went by felt like a week! I don't know whether customs or the weather slowed things down, but in any case, it's here now.

:applause:

I'll post pictures, etc., as soon as I can.

Thank you Haluk, and thank you Mike!
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 09:37 AM
To Mr. Haluk Erydin

Thank you Haluk I got your MSN Message on my cell phone.....
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 10:54 AM

Hi Sam,

I'll post your Walnut-Mahagony oud tomorrow morning.

Regards brother.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Haluk
Hi Sam,

I'll post your Walnut-Mahagony oud tomorrow morning.

Regards brother.

Thank you very much brother and God bless you ,hope that you are doing fine ,after that big loss of your mother ,May the Allah bless you and your family and stay healthy . Thanks again Regards Brother , Samir,California
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 12:00 PM
Mr. Greg your Haluk Oud is great

Greg , Your Haluk Erydin Oud looks great I keep looking at it and I am getting mine soon ,For that price we are getting a LOT..It really looks great , Please let me know what the final strings to use on it and the tuning . Best regards Samir ,California
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top