Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Quality learner ouds
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 12:51 PM

Labella or Aquila brand strings will be excellent for these ouds.Last year,I was sent to UC Berkeley University California music depatment 5 pcs. same ouds.Mr. Eliot Bates,teacher professor of music department,was told me for to put Aquila strings on ouds.His e-mail address is "oudplayer -AT- gmail DOT com" . You can get advice from him.

Regards all.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Haluk
Labella or Aquila brand strings will be excellent for these ouds.Last year,I was sent to UC Berkeley University California music depatment 5 pcs. same ouds.Mr. Eliot Bates,teacher professor of music department,was told me for to put Aquila strings on ouds.His e-mail address is "oudplayer -AT- gmail DOT com" . You can get advice from him.

Regards all.

Thank you Brother ,I emailed him will see what he says.Best regards .Samir.California
Eric
Oud Lover

Mood: Eager to learn!

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 11:16 AM

Please let us all know, Samir, what he says! I don't want to bother him with a separate email, but I am very curious what strings and tunings Mr. Bates chose.

I am working on maqam Nahawand using the videos here at Mike's Ouds, and studying the DVD that came with the oud as well. Just trying to get a handle on the most basic elements of the instrument--a wonderful challenge, and my kids are fascinated. Maybe one of them will take it up as well!

Eric
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric
Please let us all know, Samir, what he says! I don't want to bother him with a separate email, but I am very curious what strings and tunings Mr. Bates chose.

I am working on maqam Nahawand using the videos here at Mike's Ouds, and studying the DVD that came with the oud as well. Just trying to get a handle on the most basic elements of the instrument--a wonderful challenge, and my kids are fascinated. Maybe one of them will take it up as well!

Eric

Hey Eric I just Emailed the University of Southern California where they bought last year a few Ouds the same as this and he wrote me that they tested LaBella and Aquila string and AQUILA was the best the yare Made in Italy and you can buy them at .
http://www.oud-strings.com/#aquila
Thank you hope that will help anyone wanting to change the strings on this oud.Best Regards,Samir.California
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 11:11 AM

I am going to order a set of the C# F# B E A D strings. Should I leave the supplied strings on to experiment with tuning the low strings differently? I would like to try EABEAD but I don't know if it would be safe to tune the C# and F# up that much
Alarabi
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-7-2005 at 01:15 PM
Problem with haluk oud

I have just received the 283 $ dollars quality oud learners (99$), but this oud has a smal problems with the peges..
I m' looking to buy violin pegs, I don't know where I can find it.
I apologise to mr Haluk, but I'm a oud teacher, this one is for a student that ask me buy it for him.
Regarsd
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-7-2005 at 02:43 PM

Make sure the pegs are clean--sometimes luthiers put talc or other products on them to make them turn smoothly (although Haluk says he is no longer doing this), and it just makes them slip. It might not be a bad idea to use a fine sandpaper on the pegs if you think that they are out of round, and not fitting well. I have had this problem, and solved it by removing the junk the luthier had put on the peg, and then lightly sanding the peg.
I don't think having an oud go through shipping is going to change the quality of the fit, however. It fits, or it doesn't. It doesn't matter who made it. And if it made out of soft wood (does the wood dent in where it fits the peg box, or is it heavily grooved from the string), it just isn't worth dealing with.
Also, you might want to check the nut, and the grooves on the nut, and make sure that they are adequate. This could account for the jumping when you tune.
Just about any shop that sells violins will sell pegs. And, ebay is usually loaded with them-- just search "ebony pegs". But, you have to fit them. If I were you, I would have them fit by a luthier.

Alarabi
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-7-2005 at 05:15 PM
Hi

Thank you samir and jonhatan !
The pegs fit very well is most of them, but they slept !
I have to sand them, or order 11 ebony pegs.
I m' wondering the put a new guitar machine, but it's a risky task.
I live in montreal canada.
Thank you guys ;)
Alarabi
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-7-2005 at 09:00 PM
Hi

Hi samir canada
Thank you so much, I have sent you an email
regards
;)
Hi syriaoud !
Thank you so much my friend
:wavey:
Haluk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 08:00 PM

Hi Alarabi,

I was in Ankara for tretment a bleeding point in my right leg because of a bad angioplast and my worker has sent your oud.I just turned back from hospital.There must be something wrong,I have put that ouds quality Balsam pegs with same price with Ebony pegs.Please send me a picyure of the oud's,if there is a fault,I will send you a set of Balsam pegs.Till they arrive,insert the pegs to holes for to stop slipping.
I apologize for the fault of my worker.
Regards.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Haluk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 11:50 PM

Hi Alarabi,

You are wrong brother,these ouds are not tourist ouds,I never sold tourist ouds.They are my learner ouds with better quality with quality imported Balsam pegs same priced with Ebony pegs.
If you are expecting concert quality professional oud with this price,it is impossible.You should pay over $700 for a prof quality oud.
I have sold my wholesaler and retailer customers in US,Australia,Japan, Israel,Malaysia,Spain and other countries in the world,all of them satisfied about sound and quality.

Alarabi
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 02:09 PM
Hi Haluk

HI haluk !
I m sorry, the oud is very good I apologize
I have changed the string, I put Lebela, the sounds is very good ! the pegs were not the problems but the strings.
I have payed only 20 canadiens dollars for Labella.
Sorry for diffaming your nice work, I beg your pardon.
I will uplaod a recording from that oud as soon as possible.
It was a misunderstanding, I beg your pardon again.
Best regards
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 05:13 PM

Alarabi, did you get the padauk or walnut oud? Could you post pictures?
Haluk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 09:18 PM

Hi Jason,

I have sent Padauk-Walnut combination oud only to you as your wish.

I hope you recieved it.

Alarabi,

I will send you a set of Balsam pegs,after I saw pictures and punish my worker.
Regards.

yohaymalul
Oud Admirer

Mood: happy!

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 09:54 PM

Greg, Thanks for your woderful oud music sample- really great!
I got my oud, and I am still a beginner, but it sounds way better than my old oud. Haluk is an honest person, he made sure I had all my questions answered. :xtreme:
Thank you
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 11:04 PM

Thanks for your kind comments yohaymalul.

It is good to hear that you are happy with your new instrument. I have changed to Aquila strings (Arabic set) and I recommend these strings for this instrument. They are designed for 60 cm string length and some folks feel they are a little too heavy (in tension) at that length. But I like them very much on the 58 cm Haluk learner oud. I did some tests and found that the tension with these strings (on the 58 cm instrument) is exactly the same as the tension on a 60 cm instrument detuned a semitone (half a step).

Enjoy your new oud.

Regards,

Greg
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 07:56 AM

Greg ....Good to know about your testing , I did not get mine yet but defenetly I will try the Aquila strings on my Haluk oud when i get it.

Regards

Samir,California
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 05:14 PM

I got my padauk oud today. I'm a total beginner with the oud but I have been around quality instruments long enough to tell that this oud is worth the money I paid for it. The sound was deeper than I expected and I suspect it will greatly improve with new strings.

As can be expected it took awhile to get it tuned and keep the pegs from slipping but I'm sure they'll settle in during the next few days. I plan on getting a set of aquila strings, I just haven't decided what tuning I would like to use. Right now it's tuned to Arabic, I figured it would be less stressful on the pegs and strings to tune to Arabic first. I will try some different Turkish tunings later on.

Here are some pics

syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 05:58 PM

Jasom MABROUK in Arabic, Very nice Oud .Hope you enjoy it . Still waiting for mone .Samir California
Eric
Oud Lover

Mood: Eager to learn!

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 04:11 PM

Congratulations, Jason! What a lovely one--the paduk just glows. I'm finding the "Learn to Play" videos here really helpful, by the way, along with the DVD that came with the oud; you should give them a try!
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 06:12 PM

I am working my way through it, trying to focus on one or two maqam a day. It is indeed helpful. On another note, my cat is loving the soft oud case... it has been sleeping in it most of the day hehe
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason
I am working my way through it, trying to focus on one or two maqam a day. It is indeed helpful. On another note, my cat is loving the soft oud case... it has been sleeping in it most of the day hehe

Hey Jason my two cats love the sound of the Oud.....:):) Not the soft cases ....
Alarabi
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason

two maqam a day ? isn't too much ?
Good luck :applause:
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 05:23 AM

That is not to say that I am mastering the maqam in a day! hehe I am just practicing them up and down the neck and learning the names of them. I have never had a fretless instrument of this scale so it is taking some work to get my intonation into place.
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 04:36 PM

Just got mine today from Haluk .not a bad oud for the price . Oud was packed very good in a plywood case , Very good way to ship but a bit expensive if it was here in the USA .The box is a good size box .I had a oud shipped by theoudman and that was the best way to ship .i still have the box I will take a Picture of it one day and post it so all of you will see if ever you want to ship a oud.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top