Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Please Help!! Having problems finding oud!!
bhosford
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

exclamation.gif posted on 9-9-2005 at 02:33 PM
Please Help!! Having problems finding oud!!

Hello everyone, my name is Brian, and I live in Texas. I became extremely fascinated with the oud when I lived in Cairo for a few years, and now, I'm wanting to buy one. Problem is, I don't know what to look for when purchasing one, or even where to buy one. Since most everyone on here seems to have a good deal of knowledge about them, I was wondering if I could somehow get some help. I'm looking for an oud between the ranges of $300 - $550, preferably a novice instrument. I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now and have been studying the tuning and scales of the notes of the oud for well over a year now, so I'm not coming into this as a complete beginner. I would strongly appreciate if you guys could give me some links, or some names of oud makers that you strongly recomend. Also, I'd like to have a hardshell case with it too. Thanks everyone!!! Peace be with you :)
bhosford
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 02:36 PM

I forgot to mention, I'm doing a project for my university on the oud, and I'm going to be interviewing a man by the name of Kamran Hooshmand who plays with the 1001 Nights Orchestra in Austin, TX. He's a magnificent player and I'd like to have an oud for a "show and tell" kind of thing while Im presenting this instrument. - thanks again, Brian
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 03:49 PM

well... Brian In my honest opinion you should spare yourself the trouble of going through a novice oud. Unless you need it right away, I would advise you to save up and get a concert quality oud. The many reasons that support that is the fact that you have been studying the oud scales for a bit you will get past a learner model oud verry fast. Since I got a decent quality oud my playing has skyrocketed for the simple reason that I can hear and feel the different subtilities.. something I couldnt with a learner oud. Also the nicer sound will keep you interested in playing much longer. And if in the end you decide to sell your oud.. The price doesnt go down much on a professional instrument.
It all comes down to how many instruments you want to go trough. I myself went through a tourist oud, 3 learner oud and I finaly have a good oud and Iam waiting to get an even better. Its true I can now apreciate a nice oud because I went through poor ones.
REgards..
oudmaker
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 03:31 AM

Samir
GOOD ADVICE !!!
Dincer

bhosford
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 10:43 AM

SamirCanada, thanks for the advice. I figured the same because guitars in a sense are the same way, maybe not nearly as fragile, but very difficult to play if poorly made. I really need some names of people who make these ouds that I might be able to have one special ordered. The reason being is because living in Texas, you probably can't find too many shops who actually carry ouds. Second of all, I find it difficult buying an instrument that I've never sat down and played and gotten a feel for. I probably wont have that chance with the oud, so I'm looking for highly respected craftsmen. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
bhosford
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 10:57 AM

Hey guys, there is a guy in San Antonio, TX who sells these instruments online.. but since I'm so close to San Antonio.. I could actually go look at it before I buy one.

http://www.sitarsetc.com/turkishmusic/oud.htm

These ouds are handcrafted by a man who goes by Haluk Eraydin. What do you think of the 1st model.. the one that is about $750???
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 12:12 PM

Hi,

You can find ouds at http://www.mattraines.com at Austin TX.Matt Raines, 7 stringed guitar player is owner of the web site.

Regards.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
www.mattraines.com
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 12:28 PM
Ouds Professional Electric and Acoustic For Sale

I have recently relocated to Austin,Tx. and am now offering electric ouds in cutaway and non cutaway handmade by Haluk eraydin of Turkey. PLease see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7349849696
I can offer a small discount if purchased direct. Acoustic ouds must be ordered and take 1-3 months. A 50% deposit is required.:xtreme:
bhosford
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 12:39 PM

Thanks Haluk and Matt, that is a very interesting oud there, however, I'm looking for a more traditional oud. Still though, very cool.. and excellent looking work from Haluk.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 12:59 PM

Bhosford, My adivice would be to go and try the instruments yourself. But when your set on ordering a oud, speak to Haluk himself about a oud. Iam shure he will be more then helpfull to you.
The other thing is since you got acustomed to ouds in Cairo you might be looking for a Arabic oud. Haluk makes verry good ouds but they are in the turkish style so they are a bit shorter and made to play along turkish music because of the way they are tuned. And they genraly have a brighter sound. There are many good makers of arabic style oud. It only comes down to what kind of music you wish to play arabic or turkish.
Cheers
Samir
DD
Oud Maniac

Mood: one mirror reflecting another

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 04:01 PM

Greetings and Welcome, Bhosford,

If you go to the post in the general section (Ouds, Ouds, Ouds) entitled, "New Member, New Oud Player, New Oud," you'll find some potentially relevant information. The tone and action on the oud that I bought from Fehia a couple of weeks ago (which he described as "95% professional") are delightful, and after a few years with it, I'll have had enough experience definitely to know what I'm doing when I custom-order a more expensive oud from a maker. Also, while this one will have good resale value when I'm ready for the next one, I probably won't want to sell it, but rather to keep it for situations that I wouldn't want to expose the higher-quality instrument to. Feel free to U2U me if you have any questions.

Best of success to you,
Don
bhosford
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 04:35 PM

Is something like this just not a good idea?
http://larkinthemorning.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_OUD009_A_Egyptian+Ma...
DD
Oud Maniac

Mood: one mirror reflecting another

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 05:46 PM

Excuse me: That's Yehia, not Fehia. I did that before! Sorry.
Haluk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 08:17 PM

You can play every kind of music around the world with Turkish style oud, if you are a good player.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 08:19 PM

bhosford--you are right, something like that is just not a good idea.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 08:28 PM

I probably wouldn't buy an oud sight unseen unless I was pretty familiar with who made it. $500 is a lot for a no-name Egyptian oud. Any picture of an oud can look nice. Also, as far as Lark in The Morning, you might want to do a search on that on this website and see some of the comments that have been posted on here about ouds from that company.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 11:26 PM

Verry True Jonathan.
Another thing, Haluk what you are saying is verry true if you are skilled enough you can play anything on any oud. Only I was just trying to guide him with his choise of ouds since he's a beginer. Once again Bhosford, make shure to pay a visit to the store that carries Haluk's ouds. You might fall in love with them.... just a warning :D hehe.
But make shure you speak to Haluk about ordering what's right for you right from him.
Regards to All
Samir
bhosford
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 01:03 AM

im getting familiar with Haluk's work. It's quite impressive.. but, the only thing is.. I think an Arab oud is kinda more what I'm looking for. I like the deeper sound.. but who knows... im a noob
bhosford
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 10:57 AM

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say thank you all for you're input. I think I've made my decision now on where I'm going to buy one, and from the looks of it, most of you all would agree it's a good choice. I'll keep you all informed about how everything goes. Thanks again!!!!!!!
-Brian
bhosford
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 09:57 PM

Alrighty, you see that electric oud picture in this forum, the one made by Haluk Eraydin.. guess who owns it now??? MEE!!! It's absolutley wonderful, and I have hardely been able to put it down. Thank you so much Matt and Haluk!!!!!
Haluk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 03:05 AM

Hi Brian,

Congratulations,Enjoy your oud.

HALUK

wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 02:39 PM
Nice oud choice!

Hey Brian. Nice choice you've made on that electric oud! The good thing about the electric ouds is that you can control the shape of the sound. Also, you can always practice using headphones since the pickups are active on it. You can also change the tuning with out even detuning it just by using a modulator. Happy ouding! BTW, I'm an oud player from San Antonio.

William F. Sparks

Go To Top