Author: Subject: DR. OUD
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by syrianoud
...Thank you again Mr Richard and God Bless....Samir .California

You're very welcome and I am gratified and feel fulfilled that people are finding my book useful. I also suggest reviewing all of Jameel's projects, at his site and on this forum. Jameel and others have developed many improved methods and I'm learning new things from everyone here. It was my hope that this would happen - to open the door to oud making knowledge, since there is so little to be found elsewhere. The tragedy of the some Mid-eastern culture's tradition of secrecy has made oud makiing a re-invention for anyone not in the family of the masters, unlike violins and guitars where the apprenticing programs have maintained and continue to elevate the skill and knowledge of luthiers. I learned what I know by buying old broken ouds and dismembering them to measure the insides, and developed the building methods by trial and error. I have since found that many of my techniques are the same as family trained oud makers, (and some are not). The sharing of all our knowledge can only advance development and preservation of this art. God bless us every one.

Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 04:58 PM

Dr. O, I agree with you about secrecy. I read Hossain Masoud's account (an Iranian Luthier, who passed away recently) of how when he was young and trying to learn the craft, he visited a well-known Iranian luthier who agreed to see him. He had no children and Masoud thought he would teach him a few things. The man was 85 years old at this time.
Unfortunately, he didn't even let Masoud inside of his home and he met him out side by the door steps. He even asked Masoud questions about his building technique while abstaining from answering questions...
Some of his instruments can be seen at this site: http://www.sazmuseum.ir/english/index.asp
He even left some of his tools for the museum before he passed.
prince-mo
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 06:01 PM

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a Oud teracher in the area of Columbus,Ohio. if anyone knows any teacher or someone who can help, please let me know.

this is my email adress: benmaimoun@sbcglobal.net
:bowdown::bowdown:

Go To Top