Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Turkish Ouds
Tommy
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 02:14 PM
Turkish Ouds

Hi all,

I am fairly new here and I have yet to buy my first oud, but I am going to be in Istanbul in March and hope to buy one there. Are there any worthwhile makers in Isty that I should visit? I would prefer not to spend more than 500 usd on the oud (especially if I am there in person). Does anyone have any recommendations? Websites for the maker would be appreciated. I have heard good things about a maker in Aydin named Haluk Eraydin, do any of you have personal experience with this maker or his instruments? In general, how do turkish ouds compare with ouds made from other countries in the middle east? Thanks in advance

-Tommy
jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 11:37 PM

Turkish ouds are easier to play than Arabs, specially if you have small hands. In addition, I believe that by its soundboard of two pieces, they have more resonance and they maintain plus the sound that some Arabs, who are more plain.

Tommy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 09:19 AM

thanks chiss,

Would you say that Turkish ouds have more volume or sound brighter or darker than arab ouds? What combinations of wood create a loud, but dark sound. I think that is what I would prefer. What would you recommend? Also, does installing a bridge pickup on an oud reduce its loudness? Thanks again.

-Tommy
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 11:16 AM

Pickup installing is never reduce the oud's sound and loudness. Because, we are opening a channel over the bridge and putting 2 pcs. piezos inside the channel.The edges of piezos should pass inside of the oud and connect to the jack at the bottom of the oud.After putting piezos,we put a thin stick over piezos,than putting up the strings.This operation never affects the sound.I hope I can explained with my insufficent English.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 12:58 PM

The answer that most people give is that Turkish ouds tend to sound brighter, and are a bit more resonant. Arabic ouds tend to be a bit darker, moodier. Of course, part of this is because the Arabic ouds are tuned lower than Turkish ouds. But, even if you tune a Turkish oud down to Arabic tuning, it still sounds different, generally. Still more resonant, whereas the Arabic ouds are a bit punchier, I guess. There are exceptions, of course. I chose a Turkish oud because that is the music that I like the most, and the artists that I want to sound most like tend to play that instrument. To say that one is better than the other, though, would be wrong. Purely personal preferance. And, I think it is easy to overstate the differences. The choice of woods used for the bowl has almost no effect. For the top of the oud, spruce is used most typically. Look for straight grains that are close together, and not overly prominent. Skip the Grand Bazaar--almost entirely just tourist ouds. I am pretty sure that Sandi still makes an oud near that price level. Others much more knowledgable than me can give you more recommendations.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 01:02 PM

In chosing between Arabic and Turkish ouds, I think it really is very important to figure out what music you are listening to the most. I am a beginner at this, but the way I learn is often by listening to records/cds repeatedly, and trying to copy that sound. Then, when I have it down, playing along with the record. It is tough to do when you are listening to something that is tuned differently. Sure, if you are playing a Turkish oud you can always tune down to Arabic tuning, but, why bother. If Arabic music is what moves you, buy an Arabic oud. If Turkish/Greek/Armenian music does it for you, you probably would be better off with a Turkish oud. For what it is worth.

jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 12:07 AM

I had a Syrian oud whose soundboard was done of 4 pieces: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2118. It is a habitual practice in Arab ouds or only in the cheap ones?

I would say that the typical Arab sound is the one of Farid, for example, with little resonance. I do prefer the sound of the Turks or the Bashir style.

Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 06:20 AM

One place to visit in Istanbul is at the end of Istiklal Cadesi. There are a lot of music shops there. You'll probably end up touring around there anyway. Off course, you should visit the historic Cumbus shop too (in Unkapani area).
wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 02:24 PM
Eraydin experience.

Hey Tommy.
I have had great experiences with Haluk Eraydin. His ouds are high quality with low price. If you have questions, visit http://www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr, or email me at wfspark@hotmail.com, or wfspark@netzero.com.

William F. Sparks

Go To Top