Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Café Forums Hacked
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 06:59 AM
Oud Café Forums Hacked

Hello Mavrothis,

I was sorry to see your forums hacked. I hope it will not be too much trouble to get them back up again.
I am pleased to see the rest of your site is still intact.
Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Greg
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 08:53 AM

Thanks Greg,

I appreciate the message. The truth is I'm tired of this. First it was a Muslim extremist, or someone posing as one, now a supposed 'Turkish hacker'...I even had to take down my guestbook b/c someone was hacking into that as well. It's ridiculous to me that a site that promotes Middle Eastern music and culture is being attacked by people from that region, though who knows who they really are and why they do this.

Anyway, the forum was not used very much in general, and we still have this great forum, which is much more complete. Honestly, before I made the forum (I couldn't have done anything on the main site, forum, or guestbook without Mike's help), I didn't think it was necessary since we all share this one. Well, we gave it a try but I'm too busy and fed up to keep at it.

As soon as my PC is fixed, I will get rid of the useless forum and guestbook links on the oud cafe pages.

Sorry to be in a negative mood with this topic. I really appreciate your message.

Take care,

m

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 10:18 AM

I feel you mav.
If you dont keep your own forrum please stick around this one as many of us enjoy your presence here and I always looking forward to what you have to say and even more when you post a soundfile.
Regardless I hope you wont get discouraged by this and sincerly I wish you the best.
Efkharisto polis reh.
Regards
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 10:19 AM

Hi Mavrothis sorry to hear that your forums where hacked.You should report it to the FBI so who ever is doing that should get the panishment and pay for it in Jail time so he or she won't do it to others ,Sorry to say that there are some people that like to hert others by doing these childish things. But hope that you report it,You can go online and find the site to report and they will act emediatly.I did many years ago and they cought some one in the fareast hacking computers.Hope that you Forums will be back soon. sorry again to hear that ,Best reagards Samir ,California
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 11:23 AM

thanks guys

:)

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
elrabee3
Oud Junkie

Mood: in LOVE

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 11:34 AM

thats sucks man, i really feel very sorry for you.
i think this comes from a very weak and jeloius person.
i really feel sorry to hear that.

Jaber
elrabee3@gmail.com
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 11:46 AM

Sorry you are going through all of that, Mav. But, maybe you are right--perhaps the fewer forums the better--I hope that doesn't come accross the wrong way. It is just that it might not be necessary, and not worth the headache.
But, I do wish you you would bring back the makam pages someday. For those of you that did not see it, there used to be a general explanation for how to approach a taksim for the various makamat. The rules, I guess you would say. I am so glad I downloaded them before you took them off, because I refer to them often. I think the oud community would benefit from having those back up. Even not updated--just as they were. I know that you think they were limited. But, still, your knowledge of them is way beyond that of most of the readers (certainly well beyond my knowledge of the maqamat).
Having a website can be a pain, especially ones as involved as yours and Mike's. They are greatly appreciated.
All the best,
Jonathan
And, by the way, after the one millionth time listening to it, your version of Kadifeden Kesesi still knocks me out. Just a meloncholy vibe in there that gets to you. I don't know if the Greek lyrics mean the same as the Turkish ones, but you really pull something cool and soulful out of that tune.

Sidi
Oud Maniac

Mood: Very Sad...

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 12:45 PM

Hi Mav,

Well I can only echo the sentiments of our friends here...this is really sad. I know what it feels like, when someone puts your efforts to waste. I hope you get things sorted soon.

Take care,

-Sidi
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 06:42 PM

I'm very very sorry to hear about this.... Mavrothis, I really appreciate your work on your site, all the knowledge you have acquired, and your willingness to share that knowledge. How best to spend your time is something only you can decide, but do know that the influence of sites like yours are not necessarily measurable by numbers of clicks or posts. Whatever you do, please continue to share your knowledge on the internet in some way... Mark
Elias
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 12:15 AM

I am very sorry for this thing too...i wish you all the best for your website Mav, while it's unbelivible that people spend his time in doing this stupid things, wasting the work and passions of other people...that's the dark side of all the internet world...i am sorry..
elias:(
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 01:14 AM

Hey Mavro....remember my golden rule?

People suck...animals rule!

I'm no member of PETA or anything, but that rule holds up everytime. I'm with SamirCanada...we need you around here a lot more anyway bud. :D

Be well,
Mike

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 07:21 AM

:)

Thanks guys.

--Edgard Varèse
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 12:37 PM

Hey Mav,

I sympathize with you buddy. It sounds so unchristian but I say "An eye for an and a tooth for a tooth." Enough is enough. Report it to the FBI and the Homeland Security too. I understand if you feel that it may not be worth the aggravation and the time, but the bastard should be taught a dear lesson if "it" is within the reach of the hand of the law and capable of learning!

There maybe some anti-hacking tools out there that could discourage such imbeciles from doing their evil deeds which regardless of their religion or beliefs will eventually earn them a free one way ticket to hell.
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 04:19 PM

Very sorry to hear that man, I hope its all sorted out. Its is just ridiculous when something of this nature happens and it's time it stops....it's now a good time to pick up the oud and have a play, you'll come up with amazing taqasims in this mood.

Cheers mate and I hope to see ya soon,

JT
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 06:01 PM

Mav,

My hearfelt condolences ;) I've been in that boat before....

The Internet can be a real sewer of humanity.

I'm with Mike. Animals are great. And I AM a member of PETA (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals) :D

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 06:03 PM

I love animals.

They're delicious.

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 06:23 PM

Okay. I was a vegetarian for several years, until my wife brought me some fried kibbeh mehshieh "stuffed" that my mom made and told me that it was the best falafel she ever tasted, I had a bite and that became the end of me being a vegetarian. But let us be honest it is healthier to mainly have a vegetarian diet.

Well anyway let us cook these hacker animals in hot grease and feed them to the dogs.
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 07:55 AM

hey Bro,sad to hear that
We really miss you here in Mainland man,I really hope to get theyr payment from God.
Na eisai panta kala aderfe,ayto na soy dwsei na katalabeis ti aksizeis kai oti arxizoyn na se zhleyoun kai na se xtypane....ara aksizeis polla
Na eisai panta kala kai dynatos
Best Regards to all
Spyros

john (beloved) habib
Oud Junkie

Mood: love my new oud

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 11:08 AM

yo... just wanted to post up my support... it's all good ... as long as your health is good and you can keep the Oud love comin! :)

Alan
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mellow Yellow

[*] posted on 9-27-2005 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elie Riachi
Hey Mav,

I sympathize with you buddy. It sounds so unchristian but I say "An eye for an and a tooth for a tooth."

an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.;)

Mav I hope you don't give up on your site and forum. Don't let them win. I am looking forward to the update on your oud lessons.
Regards
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 9-27-2005 at 03:58 PM
Any help ?

Hey brother Mav,

You have put too much work in there and your contribution is invaluable to many of us. Your site provided a daily time of enlightenment for many.

Is there any way that the valuable content can be preserved ? Is there anything I can do ? I would be happy to help with the hosting and the day-to-day operations if you need that, and you can just focus on preparing the lessons and any of the content you feel up to. We can't lose you man ! You are too valuable a resource and too good a player. Can we do something ?

Let me know
Spyros C.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 06:07 AM

First, thanks again to everyone for the support, it's really nice of you guys.

Spyro, thanks for offering to help with the site, I never thought of anything like that. The material on the forums probably is still retrievable, so I'll work on that. There had been some good discussions, though few I'd say, especially in comparison with this forum. Dincer had contributed a lot of help, along with others.

So I'll do what I can. As for the lessons, I'm still working on my own understanding of the makams, so it will take a while for them to start again. They will come back after a time though, and I think in a more helpful and qualitative manner. :)

Spyros, please feel free to email me any more ideas you may have on the site, along with anyone else who is interested in the material there. It's meant to be helpful to people who don't have a teacher nearby, though of course the progress on the site has been stalled for some time.

Anyway, thanks again, and hopefully now that my pc has been fixed (woohoo!) I can start updating the site again.

Sincerely,

mavrothis

--Edgard Varèse
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 07:47 AM

Mavro,

As you know....you do have the newer version of XMB already installed. The same one we are using here. It would be an easy fix for you bud. Also, we can look into retrieving the phpbb posts and putting them on the XMB. I think there might be a converter. I say we take a vote. My vote is for you to go with XMB! ;)

Anybody else?

Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 07:56 AM

Just checked...there is no converter unfortunately, but I still vote for you putting up the XMB forum Mavro. :xtreme:

oudmaker
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 01:36 AM

Mine is for it too!!!
Mav
Make it work but commiting yourself to take good care of it. You let it go unattended for so long.
Dincer

Go To Top