SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 12:26 PM

last one
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 01:36 PM

Hi Samir,

Just wanted to post my: "Simply Amazing". It seems that there are so many superb makers now for all types and styles of ouds, it's very exciting.

Cordially...PaulO
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 02:41 PM

Wow. Dark walnut, maybe?

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamirCanada
here is a closeup of this unique feature

I've seen this side relief on guitars by Mike Doolin of Portland Oregon. I wonder who did it first? These are very well executed instruments and innovative as well. I'm waiting for someone to do a Kasha oud or a lattice braced face. Who's up for it?

syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 04:13 PM

Samir I emailed them this morning but no respond , Looks that they do not have a site , Or catalog to order Ouds. What are the price range ? and do i have to write them ,Do they speack English at all ? Thank you ...
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 05:21 PM

GO! for it Doc!
Just do it

Samir, Just email them in english and they'll awnser all ur questions. Also I think there too busy with making ouds to have a web site. Most of the people that order from them do so by word of mouth. I think they mostly do ordered in advance ouds so I doubt they have a catalog but you could ask them. I have no Idea how many ouds a year they produce either but for shure its something for a professional to own or a really passionate enthousiast.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 08:39 PM

I belive one of the forum members ¨Walkad¨ Walid is a relative to these oud making brothers.

Best wishes

Ronny
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 09:15 PM

Are most Iraqi ouds now being built with or without the rosettes? Also, I am completely ignorant on this, but how does the string length of an Iraqi oud (or, I guess I should say bridge to nut distance) compare with Turkish or Arabic ouds? To my limited experience, they seem to have a bit more of that resonant, Turkish sound, or am I wrong? Are Arabic strings or Turkish strings used? Or is there a special set for Iraqi ouds? What is the usual tuning.
Sorry, for all the questions. These Tayyars are a bit out of my league, but I am tempted to pick up a second-hand Iraqi oud. I would really like to be able to tune it in a manner that I am used to--EABead, or DGAdgc--something like that.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-6-2005 at 03:31 AM

Most Iraqi ouds are tuned FADgcf you could tune it GADgcf no problem either and there is no problem in tuning DGAdgc. The difference is in the high F string. I think you can use regular arabic strings but I believe all the pros use custom lute strings with the right guages. Also the scale legnht is much shorter then a arabic like 58cm or so.
hope this awnsers enough
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-6-2005 at 09:39 AM

>Are most Iraqi ouds now being built with or without the rosettes?

The oval shaped soundhole started with Fadel 1957 and is now a typical feature for Iraqi made ouds.

>Also, I am completely ignorant on this, but how does the string length of an Iraqi oud (or, I guess I should say >bridge to nut distance) compare with Turkish or Arabic ouds?

I would say there are two different oud traditions in Iraq; one of the Turkish origine with a smaller body and shorter string lenght of 57-58cm and one of a more classic arabic style with a much larger body and longer string length.

>To my limited experience, they seem to have a bit more of that resonant, Turkish sound, or am I wrong?

They sounds different due to different bracing etc.

> Are Arabic strings or Turkish strings used? Or is there a special set for Iraqi ouds? What is the usual tuning.
>Sorry, for all the questions. These Tayyars are a bit out of my league, but I am tempted to pick up a second-hand >Iraqi oud. I would really like to be able to tune it in a manner that I am used to--EABead, or DGAdgc-->something like that.

The virtuoses prefer the tuning F C D G C F (F) or the F bas in 1st position. Most pros prefer custom made sets and Pyramid lute strings are popular and prefer them myself for this tuning since they are available for different pitches and string lenghts.

Best wishes

Ronny
Time
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-20-2005 at 12:00 PM

Hi every one,

This is my first time posting here.
I am Al-Tayyar oud owner for about two years and a close friend with Altayyar brothers. I was really surprised to this post.
To understand the craftsmanship of Altayyar brothers you have to know where they are coming from. saad is an engineer, artist and grade A oud and guitar player. Sabbah is a physicist.
if you are concerned about the oud sound and playability I can only tell you one thing, it is the oud that makes me keep playing.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-21-2005 at 07:06 AM

I could not agree with you more. These are incredibly well-constructed ouds. The way they make the neck/neck block is just incredible.
I have a Tayyar that, unfortunately, I am going to have to sell. I bought it off of another forum member:
http://mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1621#pid16515
It is a great oud, but I am going to just concentrate on Turkish oud right now. Plus, I could use the cash due to a couple of recent oud purchases.
I am selling it for $1100, and am including the Tayyar hard case, and I will cover postage in the US.
I am going to end up putting a notice of it in the Buy and Sell section after the first of the year, but I can't mail it out before then, anyway. Just thought I would list it here in case somebody was interested.

mjamed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 10:12 PM

Samir,

how is the sound of Tayyar's ouds compared to that of Ghadbans?
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 07:53 AM

I dont know... I never heard or played a ghadban.
But the sound on the Tayyar ouds I played was verry nice and mellow. I wouldnt say the loudest but definetly verry good tone quality. I used to own 2 of them but they were nothing like this. They had a cedar top too so it could be why the sound was rich and warm but wasnt soo loud.
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 1-15-2009 at 09:29 PM

Are the Tayyar still at Boucherville? do you still have any contact with them Samir?

Oudism
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 06:50 AM

wooow amazing ouds. Are they really in Montreal?
shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 06:30 PM

Yeah, first time I am seeing this thread. I guess it's been resurected. Samir, had I known these guys were producing an oud like this in Montreal I would have visited their workshop when I was there in October. Are they still around? Looks like the high quality of work that some guitar makers are doing in this so called "golden age of guitar building". Looks like the golden age of oud building too.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 04:13 PM

Actualy they are in Ottawa right now.

He is still using the same email address I believe you can find it here in the forums.

I ran into him about 2 months ago. I was really nice to see him actually. What a wonderful person, the kind you can only meet a hand full in one's life. He was in the process of revamping his workshop and he was taking some time researching his next generation models of ouds.
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 04:10 AM

Hi Samir!
I find it very odd that they are not to be found on the internett.. Such good oud makers who actually live in the "modern" west.. very strange indeed!
Do you know why? :-)
nayoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Meditative

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 12:25 PM

I sent Saad El Tayyar an Email and he replied back saying that they're not taking any orders now until they do some research and develop their production technique.

Just thought you guys may want to know.
Cheers
Hisham

Hisham
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top