Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Slide notes
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 06:05 PM
Slide notes

I was listening to the abadi El johar video Adel hourouf.
I noticed that often times say when he he needs to play D (the open string note) he actualy goes on the Lower string tuned A and goes far into the finger board to produce the D and then slides to the C just a bit lower. But of course it gets a magical sound that way. But assides that. what's the advantage? Also anyone have any tricks to practise that exactly?
Regards.
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 06:55 PM

One advantage would be you could use vibrato on the stopped D instead of the open string. Another thing to consider would be if you were going, say, from D to Eb to C the timbre of the three notes would be more consistent if you played them all on the same string instead of D open, Eb on D string, and then C on A string.

On the flipside the open string would allow you to keep your intonation intact, it would also offer a good place to make a large shift up or down the neck. It would also give you more volume and resonance as compared to a stopped note.

I think a good way to practice it would be to play the stopped D and then compare it with the open string. You will eventually develop the muscle memory to 'grab' the stopped D as easily as you could play the open string. I hope this helped, I'm very much a novice on the oud but this kind of thing carries over into western stringed instruments, to which I'm more familiar
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 09:24 PM

Lately I have been trying to get out of the habit of using the open strings so often. The tone of the open string is just so different. It's louder, brighter, and more resonant than a fingered string, and sometimes the notes played on the open strings can hurt the mood you are trying to create. They stand out too much. And, yeah, I love that slide, too.

sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamirCanada
what's the advantage? Also anyone have any tricks to practise that exactly?
Regards.

Hello Samir,

Sliding notes is one of the old oud skills and tricks at the same time. In my opinion ... Sliding nots is also a form of vibrato but instead of using vibrato "sliding the finger or sometimes allowing a wider finger cross section pressing in two directions the oud player is sliding from one note to a further note to produce a nice flavored sound out of all the microtones form that first note to the other.

A warmer sound is also a good thing to look at when you use fingered notes from the lower string instead of using the open string.

There are so many tricks to learn ... if you could think of a sound in particular post it and we all can talk about it.

Regards,

Emad from Sydney
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 11:58 AM

welcome back brother!
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 06:01 PM

I must agree with sydney. I have noticed that many oudists will use slight 'slides' of half a step or less to accentuate certain notes. I tend to think of these as ornamentation moreso than playing actual slide notes. For example... when descending in nahawand you can 'blur' the 7th by doing a slight slide from B half flat to Bb. You still allude to the augmented second, yet play the Bb. There are so many nuances to explore with the oud... it is truly an extraordinary instrument and one that I could see as having a revival of sorts.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 06:56 PM

This is a great subject.

Emad, could you give some examples of where these slides or ornamentations are regularly used? For instance, in Nahawand, on which notes could you use a decending slide and in what circumstances would you do it?

Welcome back mate.

Regards,

Greg
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 12:14 PM

Thanks Zul and Greg,

I will work on an example and post it soon.

There are no set rules for when to use sliding. I think it is a personal taste as well as experience but I'll try to post two examples where it shows if it is okay to slide or not in couple of spots.

Regards,

Emad from Sydney
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 12:16 PM

Thanks Emad
Iam awaiting those eagerly. we havent heard you play for a year or so.
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 06:33 PM

Hello Samir,

It's nice to be back indeed.

In the next two examples I played a short peice of music in plain and with sliding style. Please see if they will help understanding how to use sliding.

I m sure you can end up with lots of other questions ... so please ask away.

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 06:36 PM
Plain Example

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 07:01 PM
Thanks Emad.

Yah I see the difference. You are doing a tremolo on the notes right at the same time you slide?
did you have a chance to see the Abadi el johar video were he sings Adel hourouf? He's by himself on oud. Its amazing and I was amazed at how he does this sliding without a tremolo its like he wips at the fingerboard with his wrist and there's only one finger touching so its like a slide up all the way to where the open string note is on the string below. What I dont know is when is it ok to do a slide like that going up? and when does it sound good doing it down?
Thanks Emad this rocks! :buttrock:
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 07:16 PM

Very nice Emad, what type of oud do you play?

I'm not so sure there are really any rules to sliding... it seems to be a matter of taste, is this correct? I think that using slides in the right place gives the oud a more vocal quality similar to how eastern singers will sort of "roll" into a pitch instead of just singing without any inflection, if that makes sense.
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 07:48 PM

Yeah, Jason I agree 100% with you... it is a matter of a taste but also too much of anything is not good if you know what I mean.

Samir, I could have used the sliding technique without tremolo but I wanted the sliding to sound more noticable.

It also depends on what you are playing ... sometimes the peice you are about to play allows you to use a certain technique while another peice does not.

One meal can never have all the spices.

I would like to hear your playing guyes ... please

All the best

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad

Go To Top