Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Just a cool old record label
DD
Oud Maniac

Mood: one mirror reflecting another

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
DD, the thing I have learned about these 78s is that the sound quality can be shockingly good. The main thing is to have the right stylus. Most people think the sound quality stinks because they have heard these 78s, with their huge grooves, played back with a thin little stylus made for microgrooves. That little stylus just won't sit in the groove right. It picks up all the surface noise, and not enought of the music. But, the right stylus changes everything. The fanatics will even have different sizes of stylii for the different era of 78s. I am not that hard core. Or, a truncated stylus--if the bottom of the groove is worn out, the truncated stylus will sit higher in the groove and, again, give good sound.

Right, I remember now. Love it.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 05:04 PM

So, here is something somebody else might want to consider. About 5 or 10 years ago, I read an article that explained that a lot of old 78s had multiple masters. The musicians were at one end of the room, and, in front of them, there might be several machines arranged right to left, all recording original masters direct to the mother disc, each of which was then used to go ahead and, eventually, stamp out a bunch of shellac 78s. So, a lot of the time, 78s with the same number will sound a bit different. It's not just that they are old, and that some have been preserved better than others. It is that, at times, the mix is actually different, because, although all were recorded at the same time, some masters were closer to one end of the room, and some closer to the other side.
So. . .you can probably guess where this is going.
Let's say you had one 78 that was pressed from the master on the left hand side of the room, and another that was pressed from the master made on the right hand side of the room. You could re-create a true stereo recording. Wouldn't that be incredible if you could kick back and listen to Tanburi Cemil Bey in true stereo?
I don't have the resources. I am happy to find one old 78 of music that I like, and have always traded away the duplicates. But, I hope somebody out there considers this.
I am not all that knowledgeable about the recording process, so somebody out there might set me straight and tell me I got it wrong, but it would seem theoretically possible. And, it is not my idea. I just can't remember where I read the article. And, to my recollection, the guy that wrote the article had not attempted to create a true stereo recording from a couple of 78s, but just suggested it would be possible.

syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 05:23 PM

Jonathan I love all these old pictures , reminds me the old good days in the Middle east , And all the old labels ,I used to throw all these things to the trash did not know the real value of it in these days . keep posting things that is very interesting and pleasure to look at .That is History and not these days, These where the good days where we lived in pieace ,happy no worry ,You do not know because you where born here but i am sure that your parents have told you alot ,Since I have a real good imige about you , in the short time we met and spoke at the Shaheen concert ,I could tell that you are in to the Middle eastern things ,That is part of your Armenian coultrure too .That is nice , I enjoy many things that you post and now I have to coment that this is very nice . Regards my friend ... Samir ,California
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Let's say you had one 78 that was pressed from the master on the left hand side of the room, and another that was pressed from the master made on the right hand side of the room. You could re-create a true stereo recording. Wouldn't that be incredible if you could kick back and listen to Tanburi Cemil Bey in true stereo?
I don't have the resources. I am happy to find one old 78 of music that I like, and have always traded away the duplicates. But, I hope somebody out there considers this.

Jonathan,
Unbelievable I never thought of that. and if there's more than 2 masters then we could have Tanburi Cemil Bey in Surround Sound.

bizarre and cool! and now we're out of our minds...

Maybe you could have problems with phasing? er...something like that? if two mics of similar or equal quality are picking up the same sound source from different distances your results can or will be out of phase? er...yeah? I forget this stuff from acoustics class. Eliot Bates can probably set us straight, i think he works some times as an audio engineer, and he posts to this board.

now that you mention it i remember someone doing this with an old Charlie Parker gig. 2 people in audience had machines running at the same time and made a quasi stereo recording.

adam
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Adam, if you want, send me your email, and I can email you a couple of tracks to compare with that Hazan re-issue you have--you will see it is like hearing them for the first time.

Jonathan,

I sent you a private email with my address. Let me know if you don't get it for some reason.

thank you so much!

Adam
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 05:44 PM

Cool. I just sent you some tracks. If you can figure out how to get that Marko/Hazan duet up here, go for it.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-15-2005 at 05:52 PM

Thanks, Samir, for your kind words. It is not that I consider it a part of my Armenian culture (although it is that), but rather that I view it as a part of a shared cultural heritage of the people of Anatolia. Turks, Armenians, Greeks, Jews, Assyrians, Laz, Kurds, Gypsies . . .
And I guess I am attracted to those art forms that are, in a way, slipping away from us without being adequately documented.
My folks were actually born here, but I know where you are coming from, and appreciate the kind words.
I am sure that similar arguments could be made for the music of the Arab world, it is just that I am not as familiar with that music.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top