Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15
Author: Subject: My first oud
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 07:04 PM

I think you'll find that the treble changes drastically over the next few days, if you play it a lot. I've taken brand new ouds that sounded kind of muffled, and just prior to showing them to sell played the hell out of them for just a few hours---it opened the sound way up.

This phenomenon is well recognized in violins. I've heard the speculation that playing un-stiffens the glue joints. My own theory is that the instrument becomes imbued with the spiritual energy ("chi", "shakti," "can" etc.) of the maker and the player.

Anyhow, play loud! And play all the way up the neck.

BTW, I forgot---did you build a "scoop" into the face, to raise the string height over the mizraplek? --Hank
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 08:06 PM

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I built "the scoop." I had second thoughts while I did it, but I am glad it is there. I should have taken a decent photo of it.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if some of the reason that the sound of instruments improves is because, with time, the stress built into any musical instrument lessens. Less stress on the wood, on the glue. Just a thought.

Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 10:20 PM

You bet it's a good idea that you built the scoop into it. Especially with Turkish ouds, with their low bridges. I've seen beautifully built ouds (I won't say whose, because he knows better now) that were perfectly flat, made on the theory that in a couple of years the face would dip enough for the mizrap to clear the face. They were unplayable when new, and unplayable two years later.

John Merjanian showed me this "secret." I realized, as a lute maker, that lutes must have also used that technique. Lutes in museums have such twisted faces that it's perfectly reasonable to assume that it's purely from stress; but their bridges are also very low, and especially if you use a little nail for tone, you would be digging into the spruce with your nails half the time.

About stress relief improving tone, the strings put so much continuous stress on an oud (maybe 60-80 lbs) that it's a wonder the Turkish ones hold together for up to 100 years! They are always under stress. I have great respect for physiological phenomena, being not only an instrument maker but also an aircraft mechanic and a boat builder; but I've come to the conclusion that the infusion of the maker's energy into the instrument is no small thing. The makers of the greatest samurai swords understood this well---the sword might be mostly made by apprentices, but the master would perform the final tempering as a religious ceremony.

I have also had the experience of lending a mediocre set of Indian tabla to my tabla teacher Ustad Allah Rakha, and being amazed how good they sounded when they were returned to me the next day. After a week, they were mediocre again. By the way, Mustafa Çopckuoglu Usta understands this very well.

It is common knowledge that Guanari and Stradavari violins in collections must be played for several days before a serious performance, to "wake them up."

Instrument making is a spiritual endeavor.

Fondly,
Hank:bowdown:
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 06:32 AM

I recorded a couple of quickie tracks this AM. I just recorded it directly into the computer microphone--no processing or effects or anything like that.
Should have been practicing more. Hopefully, I will get back into that habit now that I am done with this oud.
The first track--not exactly oud music, but I love a lot of those old American standards from the 1930s and 1940s. Way way way before my time, but I love that stuff. I have a family member that always scolds me when I play stuff like this on oud. So, not exactly everybody's cup of tea. Starts out slow, and builds a tiny tiny bit.
The second track--sorry about the vocal at the end. Just a little improv in Nihavend that turns into a greatly abbreviated version of an old Turkish song. You will be glad it is abbreviated. And I know almost no Turkish, so I am sure my pronunciation is way off.
I am going to email the tracks to Mike today. I am on a new computer, and I haven't quite figured the thing out yet.
The playing is rough, but at least you will be able to hear the oud. I like the sound. Even in this one week, it has filled out a great deal. I wish you were hearing it being played by somebody with more talent, but at least you will get the idea of it.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 08:12 AM

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 08:14 AM

Never mind, Mike, I think I have it.
That bass got sort of boomy when I reduced the file, but you get the idea.
If the files can't be openned, let me know.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 08:21 AM

Sounds lovely, Jonathan. What a great feeling to play your own oud, eh? Somehow, the first one is very satisfying regardless of sound quality. Your satistfied enough that it stays together! :D And if it sounds nice (like yours) its a double reward. Play us something with a little oomph, so we can hear that puppy sing a little.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 08:30 AM

I don't know how to do oomph!
Thanks, Jameel. I will try to knock out something a little more uptempo--tonight or tomorrow.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 11:23 PM

It Sounds amazing Jonathan...
Iam amazed at how the oud turned out.
I was thinking of words to describe how I felt for you. I dont think its quite possible with words after thinking about it.
Congradulations on keeping the family legacy alive.
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 06:59 PM

JONATHAN the oud sounds great and with time it will sound even better. :applause:
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 07:12 PM

I'm sure this going to sound quite childish...

I want to play!!!

akram
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 12:25 AM

very very nice
i like the sound.
have dood time playing your oud
akram
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 08:39 PM

What is the extension of the audio file? I can't open it. I used winamp, wm but can't open it.
BTW, it looks like you got rid of the tru oil stain. It's not that obvious at all, probably with time it will disappear. I also just noticed the inlays on the sides and the back of the peghead. Neat!
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 03:34 PM

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the comments. Wish I could have done a better sound file for you--those two were pretty rough. My messed up finger is steal healing up. Still, you get the idea of it.
Peyman, the tru oil stain wasn't that big, but, yeah, a lot of it went away with your advice. Unfortunately, I replaced it with discoloration from sanding down the beard--that is why the area around the beard looks sort of darkish. Again, I should have masked. I figure that will work itself out eventually. Maybe.

It is a strange thing that, individually each part of the oud seems so incredibly weak, and you can't imagine that the thing will stay together. Then, when assembled, it seems incredibly strong.

TP--anytime. It would allow me to finally hear what this thing sounds like in the hands of somebody who knows how to play. Hopefully will catch you playing somewhere soon or, as I have said, my door is always open.

Thanks again to everybody. I could not have done it without you.

Red
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-29-2006 at 06:21 AM

That is one lovely oud, and it sounds just as beautiful as it looks. I don't know much about ouds but I'm moved by music and anything thats beautiful and that oud certainly got me staring at the screen for a while.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-29-2006 at 05:50 PM

Red, you are far too kind. Thanks a lot.

Pages:  1  ..  13    15

Go To Top