Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Labella Turkish Oud Strings-set question
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 04:48 AM
Labella Turkish Oud Strings-set question

Hello

I have one question for the "Strings-experts" of the forum...

Could someone tell me the gauges of the Labella turkish oud strings? In the package there is no such information and it would be very helpful if i had them...

thank you all in advance

Nikos
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 07:32 PM

They won't even tell you that at the factory. Good luck finding out, it must be a trade secret or something... Anyway, gage doesn't tell you much it is better to know the linear density of the string.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 10:41 PM

Friends, here's a little secret: there are no secrets on this forum (I got these a while back from someone on this forum)

OU-80 (Turkish)

La Bella (Specials, maybe aka "B")
.028plain
.024wound
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 03:52 AM

thank you very very much Sam and Elie

One more question.What is the difference between the wound string .024 from Labella and the string with gauge 1010 from Pyramid(pyramid lute strings) and 0.91mm from Kürschner ? ? I mean which is thicker? Is everything in mm diameter?

:shrug:

Thank you one more time

Nikos
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-18-2005 at 12:09 PM

Quote:

One more question.What is the difference between the wound string .024 from Labella and the string with gauge 1010 from Pyramid(pyramid lute strings) and 0.91mm from Kürschner ? ? I mean which is thicker? Is everything in mm diameter?

Dear Nikos,

Anyone with a micrometer and a 1/2" sample of the strings you are asking about in his or her hand can answer your questions. I don't have samples of these strings at the moment or I would be happy to.

However, I will contribute these general observations that may be of use to you in gathering your info:

1. When measuring wire-wound strings, you need to determine (a) the outside diameter of the string, AND (2) the thickness of the winding wire. To get the latter, tease a bit of the wrapping off the end of your sample. It will come off all curley or kinky; straighten it by pulling it between your thumbnail and a wooden surface until it is reasonably straight, before you measure it with a micrometer. The thinnest ones break easily---they are sometimes not much thicker than a human hair.
The significance of this measurement is, of course, that between two strings of the same diameter, one with heavier winding will have a louder but less brilliant sound; that with thinner winding wire will have a more brilliant sound but less amplitude. (Sometimes the ear hears the more brilliant sound as being "louder," although it has less amplitude. Confusing, no?)

2. The Pyramid numbers that you refer to (e.g. 1010) do not refer to mm sizes, except in the monofilament nylon strings; they refer to catalogue numbers. I've found it VERY difficult to get spec data from them.

3. If the wire winding is pure copper (albeit plated with silver), the strings sound good when new--but go dead quickly, as the wire is soft and does not hold its shape long. This is the problem with Kurschners. The better windings use alloys. This is one of the reasons Pyramids (and MusiCaravans) last so long. When I tried to find out from Pyramid what alloys they were using, they were EXTREMELY offended.

4. The Kurschner strings are dimensioned to satisfy a desire for extremely thin strings that are in vogue with some (not all) Turkish players. I personally find their dimensions give a brilliant but weak sound on most ouds.

So you thought strings were simple, hmm?

BTW, info on MusiCaravan strings has been posted on this site several times. They are preparing a website that will be ready in a week or two, and I'll try to post that information when it's available.

Best,
Hank Levin
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-18-2005 at 12:59 PM

Dear Hank,

Thank you very much for your help and advices.

Unfortunately ive already experienced how big and serious is the strings-thema.And how expensive it can be to make experiments with :)

At the moment i have a new set of custom Kürschner strings,which i will test the next days.But i would be interested in testing one of Musicaravan's sets.The only problem is that i use an Arabic Tuning in a Turkish oud (Faruk Türünz)and i dont know if the gauges of the Turkish Musicaravan set would be ok..
But we could discuss the details in an email as soon as i am ready with the Kürschners...

friendly

Nikos

P.s. im looking forward to seeing the updated MusiCaravan's site..

Go To Top