Author: Subject: oud varnish
abu-oud
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 05:00 PM
oud varnish

Dear All

I had an oud made by a maker in Mohmed Ali Street in Cairo
the oud is good but he spryed it with silicon like varnish and also spryed the sound board.

I have a feeling that its affected the sound of the oud it making it sound a bit dull. I'm thinking of removing the varnish.

I thought of removing the varinish using a jelly like chemicla sold at hardware store but I'm worried that it may affect the glue.

Can some one tell me if I romeve the varnish from the face of the oud and the back will it make the sound better?

Secondly I would like to know what is the best way to remove it.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 11-16-2005 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by abu-oud
Dear All

I had an oud made by a maker in Mohmed Ali Street in Cairo
the oud is good but he spryed it with silicon like varnish and also spryed the sound board.

I have a feeling that its affected the sound of the oud it making it sound a bit dull. I'm thinking of removing the varnish.

I thought of removing the varinish using a jelly like chemicla sold at hardware store but I'm worried that it may affect the glue.

Can some one tell me if I romeve the varnish from the face of the oud and the back will it make the sound better?

Secondly I would like to know what is the best way to remove it.

You do not want to remove the finish from the back. It will not affect the sound at all and will leave the wood exposed and allow it to deterioate much sooner, and the glue joints will be more likely to fail.

I would not use that finish remover because it will certainly affect the glue joints on the face. Start with alcohol, rubbing lightly with a fine steel wool 0000 pad. If that doesn't work, try a stronger solvent like acetone, if that doesn't work, try lacquer thinner, and finally MEK. These are poisonous solvents and you need to have adequate ventilation, outside or next to a window with a fan and for the lacquer and MEK youd should wear a respirator filter mask to avoid breathing any of the fumes. If the face is thick enough (more than 2mm) you could also sand the finish off, using a fine sandpaper of 150-220 grit. You need to be careful sanding or rubbing not to push down on the face to avoid breaking any brace glue joints. You only need to move the paper or pad back and forth with very light pressure down on the face.

abu-oud
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-16-2005 at 02:55 PM

Thanks droud

Go To Top