Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: GOT MY SHEHATA!!! Heres a few pics
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 10:19 PM

Hey samir,

The oud sounds great! I like the sound of those strings. I think that once you try the aquila strings, you will se that it gives you a much more "old" arabic sound. It sounds like something off of an oum kalthoum recording. I'm actually considering taking out my old strings and putting on that high f string. I want to get an idea of Iraqi tuning becuase I'm thinking my next oud will be Iraqi.

Adnan
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 11-25-2005 at 09:18 AM
Congratulations Samir

Hi Samir,
Your oud is made of the same material as mine. I can tell you what will happen a year down the road if you take good care of it.
The sound becomes deeper, louder , and more tender.
It is a good oud made by one of the best luthiers around.
Enjoy!
Hatem
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 11-25-2005 at 11:06 AM

Congrats on the new oud, very nice. So the action is lower than any others you have played? Is it the loudest?

Your playing is very nice and that is very good for just two years Samir.

Regarding the strings, if you search the forums you'll find many of my posts regarding tensions and how you can do exact or rule of thumb calculations. My recommendation is to contact Maurice and ask him about the recommended total tension on this oud (that is the tensions of all the strings combined) make sure you know the maximum total tension and never exceed it. D'addario is one of those friendly companies which publish the linear density and tensions along with scale length for each of their strings. Using such data with the formulae and rules of thumb I previously posted, you can tell how much tension you are putting on the oud for its scale length.

Great job. Play long and prosper.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-25-2005 at 11:30 AM

Its loud my friend... Maybe not the loudest but that could have to do with the one sound hole vs. the 3 soundholes. Also If I raised the tension then It would be even louder. Right now tho I feel like its effort less sound. The yammine I have can be loud as well. But I have to press down on the strings too hard so it reduces speed a LOT. I will do a comparaison using the same mic and trying to use the same strengh on the risha.
Stay tuned( hahah get it ;)
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 11-25-2005 at 12:30 PM

Its interesting to see that your Lebanese/syrian oud is just as big if not bigger dimension wise than your Egyptian. I thought Egyptian ouds were the biggest of all types of ouds.

I have an egyptian and like it but have always yearned for a levantine oud because I figured the egyptian ouds were much deeper.

The string lengths seem to be the same on your two ouds, but it seem sI have been misinformed about oud sizes. What do you think?

Rami
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 11-25-2005 at 03:58 PM

Hi Samir, I tried the high F tuning out of curiosity once. My oud teacher told me what will happen, and he was 100% right. First, it encourages you to play in F (instead of C in Nahawand) and G (instead of D in Bayati). This tuning is really meant for soloist oud players because they can stress the higher registers when they play alone. Another thing, if you want to play the traditional repetoire and be accompanied by a singer, the more traditional tuning is really more appropriate for this.

In my opinion, when you determine what tuning to use, you have to ask yourself what kind of music you are going to play. If you are going to play traditional tarab, then stick with C F A d g c', but if you are going to be a soloist, or playing more modern renditions of tradional music, then you may like the F A d g c' f' tuning.

I think in a few years, more ouds will be made in the 7 course design, that allows both.
SAGR QURAISH
Oud Junkie

Mood: SPONTANIOUS

[*] posted on 11-25-2005 at 06:47 PM

HEY SAMIR, how r u....im very happy for u. congratulation. the oud mashallah sounds very very beautiful....allah yi36eeeek 5airaha wo yikfeek sharaha. its gorgeous mashallah... i hope u enjoy playing on it. keep practicing.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 11-25-2005 at 08:26 PM

Hey Sam,

In regards to you comment about higher tuning. That is also what my uncle was telling me. He first had me tuned In F When I furst picked up the oud. The reason is like you said, You can play and compose claissical songs while only playing in the first octave rather than up and down the fingerboard.

If you recall, someone posted an article about Simon Shaheen where he said playing F is being lazy but I guess for someone who wants to follow the melody of a voice it could be considered as being "efficient".
Elias
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 01:05 AM

hello!
If so i don't agree with Mr shaheen about the "lazy" F string...it depends only about the personal way of playing. If you play a lot of solos and you like to develop melodies on the high notes there is nothing bad, you can also go to the end of the fingerboard the same...
i think that with F string you can express more intimate solos and express your self while with the standard tuning you can make more rithmycally solos...
by the way... me too if i have to accompain a singer or play traditional music i prefer 11string, and yes in my experience a 7course oud could solve te matter!....
salamat
elias
DJCrabtree
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 02:45 AM

Congratulations Samir,

Having received a Shehata myself about six weeks ago, I can appreciate what a high you are on right now.

And you have made sense of something which was puzzling me. I assumed, for some reason, that the my oud had come strung with Pyramids, and while I liked the feel of them, I thought that they must be too light because the 3rd string rattled so much. But of course I had tuned to standard D2 G2 A2 D3 G3 C4 tuning, and hadn't realized that the oud was designed to take the higher tuning. I have Aquilas on it at the moment, again strung to the standard tuning, but have been getting very cross with myself and my lack of progress this last week or so. Maybe I should go back to the original strings and try that higher tuning once I get home from work. I know that alone won't make me a good player, but a change is as good as a rest.

Best wishes
David
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 06:52 PM

Very nice oud and great playing!!
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 11-29-2005 at 04:25 AM

Mabruk Samir, :applause:
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-29-2005 at 06:24 AM

Thanks to everyone for you nice toughts.
ofadel
Oud Maniac

Mood: thinking

[*] posted on 11-29-2005 at 09:41 AM

mabrouk ya samir! It looks awesome!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top