Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about strings, pegs and tuning
Vince Millett
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 02:22 PM
Question about strings, pegs and tuning

I've kind of asked some of this before but I need to revisit these questions....

Anyway, I have an electric oud that I bought in Istanbul. I tried various tunings etc and used it at one or two gigs. I had such problems getting it in tune that I basically gave up on playing it for a long time. Recently I bought a Godin Glissentar, which is a guitar strung like an oud and I've got on really well with it. It made me want to return to the oud.

Here are my questions:

The strings I have on the oud are D'Addario and according to the packet are designed to be tuned (low to high) F#,B,E,A,D,G

I have no strong preference about tuning so I am happy enough with this.

My first question is about which string goes to which peg. The way the instrument came and the way it is now,is as follows:

Pegs nearest floor F# E E G G
Pegs nearest ceiling B B A A D D

.....in both cases, in order from the end of the headstock towards musician.

As primarily a guitarist, I find this really difficult to follow and keep getting confused. It doesn't seem a logical way to arrange the strings. So - any of you who build or repair ouds...Is there a technical reason why the pegs aren't arranged like they are on a guitar, in the same order as the strings? Can an oud be restrung more like a guitar?

Next question: the pegs are really, really stiff and difficult to turn. I asked about this before and was advised about things violinists use etc. to make pegs more easy to turn. What I need to know is, how easy they should be to turn? I have no idea. Do I need to have some adjustments made to the tuning pegs?

Does anyone know any good luthiers/oud repair people in London who I could take the instrument in to if I need any adjustments made to the pegs?

Thanks!
Vince Millett
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 02:34 PM

Just found the thread about strings and tunings further down, with a link to a page with diagrams of headstocks of ouds with Turkish and Arabic tunings, neither of which relates to the tuning suggested on my D'Addario string packet. Confusion!!! Help!

I feel like I really need to be in the same room as someone who understands string tensions and instrument construction, who can look at my instrument and advise me of the best tuning and string set. As well as the technical questions I already asked.

I won't be playing traditional music so it doens't particularly matter whether I tune Arabic or Turkish style.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 03:37 PM

The tuning suggested on your string packet actually uses the Turkish notation, which is written a fourth higher than the strings are actually tuned and is clearly confusing if one is not aware of the difference. So from the high course to the bass string tune the instrument D A E B F# C# if you want it to be in straight fourths, or use one of the alternative tunings for the two lowest courses (such as A D or A E). This standard Turkish tuning or its variations should work fine on your Turkish oud.

For the pegs, the paste used by violin players works well if you find that they are not turning smoothly. Rub a bit on the part of the peg stem that is in touch with the peg box and try it until it turns easily.

Good luck.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-26-2005 at 04:00 PM

Vince,

Here is a diagram for a very easy-to-remember stringing pattern. Simon Shaheen uses this pattern. On my oud, (this photo as a matter of fact, if you look close) I have the yellow and red courses switched. This allows the highest course to enter at a less extreme angle. Just remember that the lower string in each course is the peg closer to the nut.

Vince Millett
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-27-2005 at 12:56 PM

Very helpful replies...Thank you very much indeed!!! I also had a private e-mail from someone else who I will reply to as soon as I can get the time.

I think I should be able to sort it all out with this information. I'll let you know how I get on.
Vince Millett
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 05:32 AM

Restrung the oud, used the graphite stuff on the pegs and I now have an instrument that I can actually play! String tensions are very comfortable. I also had to swap the top two courses over as Jameel described, so that the angle of the strings over the nut wasn't too steep.

Anyway, I'm very happy with it now. Thank you all again for your suggestions.
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 07:21 AM

I am actually tuning my oud on D G A D G C.
Fm Samir Joubran directly and fm Marc Loopuyt indirectly, the best tuning could be: (using Jameel graphics)
C RED
G BLUE
D GREEN
A YELLOW
G PURPLE
D GREY

I think it has something to do with a cercle, something also philosophical, and also strings do not disturb themselves.

Amazing this oud's universe, with thousand of different shapes, materials, tunings, playings.......

Go To Top