Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: my oud pictures
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 10:59 AM
my oud pictures

pictures of 4 out of the 6 ouds I completed.
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 11:27 AM
my oud pictures

Back of #'s 3, 4, 5, and 6. The last one made in August 2001. In another area of the forum discussing glue, it is said that hide glue is suggested for the bridge. I used Titebond on my 7 course 13 stringed oud with no problem in the 4 years since completion.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 02:21 PM

Great pictures Andy. The ouds look beautiful. I wish we could have followed your projects along. Maybe it's time for you to start a new oud? ;)

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 02:23 PM

Thanks, Andy. The bowl on that 13 string looks amazing. Mahogany/birch? I also love that one contrasting rib on the oud on the left--just really unexpected and nice. Kind of reminds me of that repair oud that Jameel did a while ago, where he put one super bright rib amidst a bunch of dark ribs rather than try to match the surrounding wood.

Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 06:49 PM

Thanks Mike and Jonathan, I am trying to finish #7 but it has been going extremely slow. Was hoping to finish before the end of 2005 so I can experiment on that oud back that I find so interesting made by Kalfayan. To the far left #3 and #4 are walnut and maple, #5 is walnut and #6 is mahogany and maple. You can see more pictures on my site.
http://www.geocities.com/antronig/oud.html
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 07:15 PM

I have question concerning the mizraplek.
Is it common to find the larger mizraplek in the armenian type of ouds?
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 08:04 AM

I really never gave it a thought but I don't think so. The only reasons I like a large pick guard is because of the way I play without a pick=rishta= mizrab and rest my pinky finger on the guard and the other reason is I simply like the way it looks. I think there have been many ouds built by Armenians that have used both large and small pick guard.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 08:22 AM

Andy, I do hope that you get around to making an oud based on that Kalfayan pattern. I am nowhere near finishing my first oud, but I know that making an oud based on that pattern is just something that I really want to do.
I guess that the tail block would be moved to the back of the bowl, rather than the base. I almost think, for strength, it might be a good idea to have a narrow "wrap around" of wood just under the face. It's a pretty incredible looking oud, and I wish you much success if you take on that task.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 08:24 AM

For those of you that have not seen the Kalfayan from 1826, 3 pictures of it are on this page--the third listing.
http://varjouds.com/Armenian%20Ouds%20I%20thru%20M.htm

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 08:43 AM

I guess, on looking closer at the picture, there is a "wrap around" of wood just under the face. Sorry to detract from your thread, Andy. It is just that this oud has been on my mind for a while.
It seems like it would be a much tougher oud to build, because each rib really does vary from the next, unlike the typicial oud where, in theory at least, they are all the same (except for the two nearest the face). The dimensions of the rib, the angle--all different.

Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-2-2005 at 08:14 PM

Just by looking at the Kalfayan oud, Jonathan, it would have to be built on a solid mold and with thin lining around the edge of the mold to attach the ribs to. I would have an end block but that would be added after the body is built so there would be a good strong surface to attach the top to and a solid base to hook up a pickup to. You are correct about having a block in the back of the oud to secure the ribs to but I think it should be a thin piece of hard wood probably the same wood as the ribs and thin , cut round and not too big, a bit smaller than the size of coffee mug. The ribs would vary it seems but I think the only problem ribs to fit would be the ones that would need a slight twist in the bend. Of course we will not know how simple or difficult it is untill it is started.
Sam
Oud Junkie

Mood: Selling Ouds

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 02:39 PM

wow big moustached ouds hehe
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-30-2009 at 10:05 PM

I just happened to see this new addition to the thread and just so happens that I finished oud #7 today after over 4 years. In that time, the bowl had slipped from my older dry hands a few times creating repair problems and frustration. After repairing the cracks I had problems with the shellac finish taking me almost forever to get almost right. Thanks to my friend Greg I decided to forge ahead and finish it. The back is mahogany, 21 ribs, with a spruce face. This oud weighs in at about one pound, the action is very low, no buzz or slapping, and the sound is very pleasing. I will try to post pictures in a day or two.
Historical Instruments
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-30-2009 at 10:59 PM

:applause:
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 12:32 PM

Finally, here are the pictures! My free time has been very limited with my wife having been very ill.

[file]10167[/file]

[file]10171[/file]
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 06:34 PM

Dear Andy,

That's one beautiful looking instrument ! I'm very sorry to hear about your wife's illness, and although I only know you through this board, I hope she's doing better soon. Take care.

Sincerely..Paul

Go To Top