Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Najarian repairs
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 04:52 PM
Najarian repairs

When somebody does something with such skill it ought to be noted.
I recently picked up an oud from Viken Najarian that my grandfather had made back in 1934. I purchased it off of ebay in the summer of 2004 (thanks again, Andy). Its condition was rough. THe purfling was falling off. The braces were loose. The neck was loose. There were some minor cracks in the bowl. And, it was made left-handed. Apparently, it had been played in nightclubs in Detroit by an Arab player for decades. It had seen a lot of wear.
I never played it, just took it to Viken. I wanted him to keep it as original as possible, but to repair it, make it right-handed, and re-peg it (I don't know if the pegs that were on there were original or not).
So, let's start with a couple of before pics.
BEFORE:

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 04:54 PM

BEFORE

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 04:55 PM

AFTER

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 04:56 PM

AFTER. The French polish that Najarian did is just incredible. He got rid of all of those years of grime that were on the bowl, and really let the beauty shine through.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 05:00 PM

For purely selfish reasons, I was hesitant to post this. Getting oud repairs done is difficult, and I know that you have to wait, and wait, and wait to have quality repairs done. Viken has another of my ouds now, and I know that I will almost certainly have to wait a long time for that one, as well, but I really don't care when the workmanship is this superb.
I know the face looks new, but it is not--he removed it to re-set the loose neck, and cleaned up the face a bit, but it is original. Even the bridge is original--he just re-drilled it to make it right-handed. The nut was changed.
And the sound on this oud is absolutely incredible. I am going to try to get a sound file up, because it has an absolutely beautiful tone, and tons of volume.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 05:07 PM

Beautiful Jonathan, this is really great. Viken is a great craftsman, and I'm sure there are no words to describe your huge connection and love for this oud. Play it with health my friend!

mav :)

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 05:10 PM

Thanks, Mav. As an aside, I really have developed a new appreciation for how ouds are made. There are only 13 ribs on this one, but look how each rib ends at a point. I know, a lot of ouds are like this, but I have learned it can be difficult. This is a pretty basic oud, perhaps because it was built in the middle of the depression. Still, the sound is unbelievable. Gonna record something tonight and send it to Mike to post.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 05:44 PM

Beautiful Jonathan, thanks for sharing it with us. I'm sure you feel a special pride in playing your grandfather's instruments. I know I would. Can't wait to hear it. BTW, what are the bowl woods?

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 06:01 PM

Jameel, I think that the light one is birch, and the dark one is walnut, but I am not too good at that. What do you think? The fingerboard, by the way, is a beautiful flame maple. Viken suggested putting on an ebony one, but this looks great, and really held up well over the years. My goal was to keep things as original as possible. He sanded it a tiny bit, and it looks beautiful. Didn't come out that great in the pics above. The beard is mahogany.

I made a quickie sound file just now and sent it to Mike to post. I didn't spend much time on it--one quick take, and that is it. A little short improv in Hijaz, which segues into a Turkish song, Kalemi diviti Var. Sorry about the vocal. I can't sing, I don't know Turkish, but for some reason I sang it. I like this song. Old-timey. I tuned the oud down to G. The voice is not tuned to anything. :shrug: The oud playing itself is as rough as ever. Gotta get better with that intonation.

Kind of strange how different ouds make you play differently. This is a smallish oud--probably a "hanum" size. Fun to play.

Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 07:43 PM

Man what a beautiful oud. Anxious to hear it, Congratulations.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 08:46 PM

What a beauty Jonathan. Viken, as usual, did a spectacular job. Really brought this oud back to life. Here's the sound file, and congrats on finally getting the oud. Good things come to those who wait. :airguitar:

Musa
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 09:23 PM

Hi Jonathan,

I have a restored Egyptian oud that I purchased from Viken. Although well used, it is a beautiful instrument that has given me years of pleasure. Viken has always been very helpful, and a pleasure to work with.

Enjoy your oud!!!

Salamat,

Musa
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 10:12 PM

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. Andy, this is the one you tipped me off on back in 2004. Thanks for posting the file, Mike.
I have only had repairs done by two people thus far--Kyvelos, and Najarian. The wait is frustratingly long in both cases, but certainly well worth it.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 10:28 PM

I'll pitch in my congradulations.
And add that your playing was great... lots of soul came through wich is well diserved since this oud comes from your grandfather. It must be an incredible feeling. Many respect concidering your keeping the flame alive by making your own oud aswell.
tezza
Oud Addict

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 11:02 PM

sounds and looks fantastic!
Elias
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 02:09 AM

Wow Jonathan!what an incredible work Najarian has done!The oud is so beautiful and the sound is amazing...and yes we can feel a lot of soul from the nice note you plays! Very nice playing!
Elias
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 06:05 AM

Reminds me of those 2 Udi Hrant tracks Mike had up a while back. Sounding great, Jonathan. How long have you been at it now?

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 07:42 AM

Thanks, guys. This song was recorded by (and I think was written by) Hrant. For me, it all starts and stops with him--I love his music. There is a great version of it on the cd just called Udi Hrant, that Traditional Crossroads put out--it is just named there "Hijaz sarki".
The neck on this oud is shorter than I am used to, and my intonation is off a bit in places (Gotta have something to blame). I should have studied the song before recording it, but I did not really plan on it. I guess I thought of it while playing, because the intro of second part of the improv sort of hints at it, and I guess that is why I stumbled into it.
Hrants version is great--beautiful playing, and his vocal just captures all the weariness that the lyrics of this song about lost love suggest.
Thanks again.

Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 01:27 PM

Jonathan, I thought you didn't know how to play? You've been holding back. Sincerely enjoyed the clip. Jonathan it may be a great tribute to your Menzhyr, grandfather, to put this clip on your web site.
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 03:24 PM

WOW Jonathan ...

That looks great my friend , I like Viken anything i need to fix i take to him,He is a PRO.
Very nice specially that Frensh Varnish where Nazih Ghadban Finishes all his ouds with French varnish.It gives the oud great looks and the sound is probebly better than Polyurothan or they call it Pollyester.
But congratulations sound and looks great.
Regards Samir,California
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 04:23 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Samir, I like the French Polish a lot better than the polyurethane, as well. I think it really brings out the beauty of the wood, but doesn't get between you and the wood. I don't know if that makes any sense or not, but I hope you get the idea.
I wish I could find more of these Varjabedian ouds, but I cannot.
I have these 5:
http://varjouds.com/sam.htm ,
although one I gave to my brother, and another I will give to another brother.
Andy, shnorhagalootiun. I have really been toying with the idea of adding music to my site, but I think it can be a problem for people with slow connections. I also have another site, http://www.efkere.com , on another grandfather's ancestral village (hope it is ok to mention it, if not, sorry Mike), and I have been toying with putting an oud version of the Hayr Mer (Lord's Prayer) on the pages dealing with the churches and monastery. I will let you know.
If anybody knows of the whereabouts of any more of these ouds, please let me know--even if they are not for sale, I would dearly love to see pictures of them.
Thanks again.

Musa
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 10:00 AM

Hi Jonathan,

What was your grandfather's name? Where was he from and about how many ouds did he make? This would be good to know, so that if any of us come across any out there, we could inform you.

Salamat,

Musa
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 01:57 PM

Beautiful playing Jonathan, very soulful. The oud sounds wonderful, and it was great to hear you singing also. :)

Congratulations!

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
DD
Oud Maniac

Mood: one mirror reflecting another

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 04:29 PM

No apologies accepted for the singing. I think you should do it more and give it room to unfold. Honest voices are hard to find, and like honest words, they usually turn out to be the most beautiful.
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 06:00 PM

Hi Johnathan,

Really cool restoration job -- this is the first "restoration" of Viken's that I'd seen -- wow. Great sounding oud - very limpid and relaxed low end, and beautiful sweet mids. Cool singing & Playing: as DD said -- keep on singing !

Cheers...PaulO
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top