Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Najarian repairs
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 10:46 PM

I can't thank you guys enough for the kind words. They are appreciated.
Since I started building my own oud, I haven't had as much time to practice, unfortunately.
Musa, his name was Sam Varjabedian. I have pestered the people on this board a few times in the past about trying to find his ouds. He was born in central Turkey in 1893, and moved to Detroit when he was about 20. He died in 1963. He was not a full time oud maker--he just did it in his spare time. I suppose there was no way anybody could make a living making ouds in Detroit. I guess he made about 4 a year, although the oud above, from 1934, also has "no. 56" on the label, so perhaps he made more than I am guessing. They vary in size--he made a lot of moulds, and the ouds are all different sizes, except perhaps for the last 10 or 15 years of his life, when they are all pretty much the same size. He also made a small number of lutes.
They are not Karibyans, or Manols, or Nahats. But, of course, they hold a special meaning for me.
They were sold in Detroit, and I am guessing that almost all of them remain in the USA. Finding them has been tough, so if anybody has any suggestions, let me know. Here's a pic of him in his shop:

palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 10:56 PM

Call me crazy but I liked the look of the oud before the refurbish. It had a nice antique look.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 11:14 PM

I understand that feeling, too. I have always thought the same thing--don't try to shine up an old oud to look new, because it won't look right.

But, I am happy with this restoration. The oud remains original, and some of that super bright/high gloss look of the French polish will wear off with time (although it does not bother me at all).
My reason for taking it in wasn't to make it look good, but to make it playable, and stabilize its condition. Without the repair work, it would remain unplayed, and it would continue to deteriorate. So, it really isn't a matter of aesthetics. But, if you saw it in person, it still has that antique look--there is no way somebody would mistake it for new. It remains original, just clean.

Musa
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 06:58 PM

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the info and the photo! One of my grandfathers was also from Turkey (Northern), and was born in 1869.

If I ever hear of or come across one of his ouds, I plan to let you know.

Salamat,

Musa
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 08:03 PM

Thanks, Musa. I appreciate it.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top