Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Repairing an oud, and getting pegs
Oud987
Oud Maniac

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 03:02 PM
Repairing an oud, and getting pegs

Hello everyone!

Long time no see, Ive been out of the picture for awhile.
Basically here's the story, My Oud had a accident.
My Oud was kinda not a great buy first off, but it was/is my first one and I bought it for little around 130$. Maker unknown since I cannot read Arabic, and the label has since dissapeared from the inside. But anyways my oud had 12 pegs as normal but only had 11 holes for strings on the bridge. Feeling like I wanted that 12th string, I drilled that extra hole in the bridge where it was supposte to go. I THOUGHT that I had done it carefully enough but I suppose not. When I went to string it up something went wrong and the bridge ripped off! Leaving a gaping hole where it once was. I made a 2nd stupid mistake as far as I can tell now. The hole that was left in the body was uneven and such so I squared it off for some reason. SO basically now, I have an oud with a hole where a bridge should be and 5 missing pegs. My question for you guys is what can I do to save this thing if anything at all? I really liked the way this Oud looked, and I dont have the money to buy a totally new one, if I can fix it cheaply, I would like to.

Go To Top