Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 05:23 PM
strings

lets call this thread strings, and ill repost my oud later
tezza
Oud Addict

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 09:49 PM

Oudman, is there a thread where you discuss exactly what strings you ended up with for this Shehata?
oudman

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 03:41 AM

We started talking about it - but it gets very tricky - what works on a Shehata will not necessarily work on a different oud with the same string length. Also, the tension I prefer might not be the same as what you like or what you are used to.
The only way to deal with this issue is by trial and error which can end up being an expensive proposition.
I bought a few aquila turkish sets - and while definitely not as nice as the aquila lute, work fine and I prefer them to La Bella, Pyramid and Thomastic
todda
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 10:40 AM

HI Oudman, I recently recived my Shehata oud and wanted to know what tuning you are using on the Shehata you are selling.
I a beginner so I'm trying to find a good common set-up to focus on. I know it all depends on the style of music I will play, but wanted to get some options to listen to and feel.
I tryed one set-up and found it was too high - too much tension on the neck and soundboard. The Turkish standard seemed to low- the low stings did not have any play.
Currently I'm using FADgcf. I have a 6 couse version ( 12 strings ) - I listened to your sound clip and liked the low open notes.

Todd
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 10:45 AM

I also have just received mine.
Are you using the strings that came with the oud?
If so they are actualy for the tuning your using. FADgcf.
But I do agree with you that it has too much tension on the neck and brige. So you could lower the tension by half a step or a little less and you will feel and hear a big difference.
todda
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 12:21 PM

Hi Samir -

Yes, I'm using the strings that came with the Oud.
I questioned this tuning because the sound sample posted by Oudman seemed to have a lower pitch in the open bass.

I had originaly tried EABead. The low EA was too low, no life and the "e" was also too low and felt dead in comparision to the B & a - the transition did not feel right.

Now that the oud has been played in a bit ( acclimated to the environment ) it realy has smoothed out and begun to show it's own character. I ordered mine with a cedar soundboard and walnut body - I thought this would add to the over-all warmth I was looking for, so far it is quite smooth.

I selected the FADgcf because I also have a Bashir which I have tuned to DGAdgc, so there is a similar referance that I can switch between them and keep some common patterns and notation.

I wanted to actualy try to cross reference the string tensions for the Shehata and try Flemenco black nylon strings to the gcf, I think they would have a crisp resonce and less plastic overtone - remember - I just started and I have to get used to the partiuclar tone the oud makes - not trying to rock the boat, but thought the type of strings used in Flemenco would add a nice woody character and warmth. Alot of what I'm hearing could be my poor picking, but when I pratice with just my fingers, the plastic tone comes out a bit more.

I have to hand it to all of you who play the oud and have posted sound clips. The introduction to microtones and the fretless fingerboard is quite the challange. I'm looking for a good instruction book ( in English ) - I had found Viken Najarian had produced an instructional book, but it is no longer in production. I am exploring the http://www.maqamworld.com and oudcafe.com for thier scales, patterns and references, but would like a good lesson book that covers a step by step coarse - any info on this.

Todd
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 12:31 PM

Watch out!! its not a good Idea to tune your arabic oud to the EABead turkish tuning you mentioned here. Its way too much tension and you could easyly rip your brige off or worst dammage could even happen. A traditional tuning for Arabic oud like this is CFAdgc. DGAdgc is fine also.
So If I were you I would change strings and play with a high c instead of a high f. Its better for learning and its not as much tention on your oud. I use the strings I received with it but no where near the full tension.

For the lessons there is the learn to play videos on mike's site.. Have you seen those?
http://www.mikeouds.com/video/learn.html
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 12:36 PM

This Thread should be moved or something... it is a thread for Oudman's oud he is selling..
todda
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 01:15 PM

Yes Samir - I agree, did not mean to intrude.
I have emailed a few people I know about this auction in hopes that they will bid.

Todd

Go To Top