Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: sukar ouds
upontheroof
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 01:32 PM
sukar ouds

hello,
i have been looking for an oud and have someone offering to sell me a sukar oud. does anyone have one of these? are they good quality?

here is the info from the email about the oud. let me know what you think.

About the OUD, as I have said before, is a Syrian Oud made by the famous Syrian Oud maker Mr. Ibrahim Sukar. It is made of Walnut wood and the pegs are Beach. Rich and deep sound, as it's known of Sukar ouds. Another feature in Sukar ouds is that the body of the oud and the finger board are attached using a screw with which you can adjust the action on the fret board.

I am asking $350 for this Oud including a leather soft case, shown in the 1st picture, and I can send you an extra set of strings, of decent quality no particular brand, as well as a plastic pick.

I have a hard case made by Sukar as well. It has the shape of the oud and great insulation that provides perfect protection for the oud, from personal experience, I really suggest having a hard case for ouds. This case is shown in the 2nd picture and I am asking $150 for it.
peppeo77
Oud Junkie

Mood: easy like ever

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 02:49 PM

Hi. I've a Sukar oud since august, and it's pretty ok. The only problem is the action, it suffers for hard string tension (I'm using Aquila strings and I can notice the difference...), it buzzes a little in some areas of the fretboard, expecially on the bass strings. It has a lovely sound, my oud is almost brand new (it's been crafted in april 2005) but it sounds mature already, well balanced and full of harmonics. The price is ok I think, please attach one pic if you have, and don't' forget to ask to the dealer for an audio clip, so that you can hear the sound.
Regards, ciao ciao, Giuseppe.
upontheroof
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 06:09 PM

hey,
how do you post pics?
i will post one tomorrow.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 06:12 PM

I was told the action is set purposely low because overtime the action will naturally raise and thus the buzzing will go away and feel better. Also I heard the action is adjustable is this infiirmation all accurate
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 07:10 PM

Isn't $350 very cheap for a Sukar? The soundclips I have heard of them have sounded really good.

Not to contradict you palestine48, but do you know why you were told that? I can't think of how the action could naturally raise uniformly across the fingerboard unless the soundboard warps or the bridge is raised.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 07:47 PM

The action raises because tension pulls the neck and fingerboard forward wich makes the strings raise. And to my knowlege it is a very reasonable price for his oud. Only it might be that the woods used are verry common.
Tablah23
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 12:44 PM

im intereted in the case..look at the U2U message..or your inbox
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 04:47 PM

Sukar Ouds are about 10 to 15000 syrian ponds it = to $100 to $120 in Syria.If you are there and bargen thats what you pay.I had a friend who just bought the oud for $120.00 after bargening with him.
Second I do not think that he is so famous , I have seen a few ouds of his , The best Oud was bizing bad and a new oud...The sound gaurd was pealing and bracking from the side.
Too many guys work at Sukar, All his Kids are there and each one does one thing. So what you get a FRUTE Salad:):) If it was me i wont buy a Oud from him . Samir Azar has much beter ouds and a few days ago I have posted his new web site , where you can see his ouds ,and his prices are pretty cheap.
Regards Samir
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 05:11 PM

How much does Samir Azar sell beginner ouds for? Any ideas Samir?
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 06:17 PM

A good Oud is I think that he coated me $400 + Shipping All his ouds are great ,He makes one kind. Go to his site and look them up.
Regards Samir
upontheroof
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 06:26 PM

hey,
are sukar ouds arabic or turkish style? what about azar ouds?
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 06:41 PM

Azar's ouds are Syrian. Samir, is it a problem getting something like an oud from syria to the US? I know there are very specific rules about imports and exports between the USA and Syria but I do not know if you can receive instruments from there and/or wire money to there.
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 07:17 PM

Jason yes you can wire money through western Union and they ship Aramex,It goes to Dubai and from there to NY and here UPS shipps to anywhere in the USA.
Regards Samir
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2005 at 09:48 AM

Any new info on that sukar oud case, is it stil available?
Stefan Andalus
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-23-2005 at 10:19 AM

I have a Samir Azar oud available for purchase at $400 plus shipping from San Francisco. It is a floating bridge oud, and is in perfect condition. Wonderful volume and sustain. Aquila strings. Contact me at MRBAYNE@sbcglobal.net if you are interested. A soft case with pockets for risha and extra strings comes with the oud.
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 12-23-2005 at 07:51 PM

Hi Guys,
This is an interesting conversation.
I believe that Sukar makes excellent hard cases for the oud.
For a Syrian oud, I would definitely get a Samir Azar one. Samir is very knowledgeable and he makes one oud every month. You can always discuss the type of wood used with him. However, he prefers the walnut for the bowl.
Western Union is what you would use for sending the money.
I believe that it will cost about $220 to ship an oud from Syria to the US.
Merry Christmas everyone,
Hatem
Lebanon
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-23-2005 at 08:30 PM

Yes indeed Samir Azar is one of the GOOD Oud makers in Syria.Much better than Sukar Ouds. He is the only one that works on the Oud.Unlike Sukar too many people involved Building a Oud.I saw one of his new I mean brand new oud that a guy bought at Sukars workshop and it is crap.I have seen a Buzuk made by Samir Azar and it is great.I will highly recomend him.You can order with confidence .
Regards Samir California(Syrianoud)
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 12-23-2005 at 10:53 PM

Jameel owns a Sukar and he speaks highly of it. Elsewhere on these forums Jameel also mentions that Issa Boulos plays a Sukar.

Regards,

Greg
Lebanon
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-23-2005 at 11:55 PM

I have seen at ......sorry cant mension his name ,he just got a brand new top of the line Sukar oud,The Quality is very cheep . where the soundgaurd was pealing and all strings buzzing real bad.And that is a professor not just a regular person .he is a master of masters in music and specially ouds. Well if you want a real cheap oud get a Sukar Oud.What else can i say.Look how many people are selling there Sukar ouds .If they where so good they would have kept them.I had much better feedback on Samir Azar's ouds.Well any way that is my opinion I have real great ouds and know what is good and bad...
regards Samir
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-24-2005 at 01:53 AM

stefan u2u me, i am interested. i live in san francsco. i will email you when i get a chance, thanks rami.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-24-2005 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
Jameel owns a Sukar and he speaks highly of it. Elsewhere on these forums Jameel also mentions that Issa Boulos plays a Sukar.

Regards,

Greg

Indeed I do, Greg. It was my first arabic oud, and I still play it. It's well made for the price. Not perfect, but decent. I like it and it plays well. As an aside, I have no problem with someone who doesn't like Sukar's work, but a responsible, charitable and balanced individual would do well to offer constructive criticism regarding the luthier, rather than dismissing his work with a pompous, authoritative tone (replete with the most illiterate English), using adolescent, scatological terminology. Issa does play a Sukar, but I'm proud to say that his main instrument now seems to be the Jubran that I restored. :D My Sukar doesn't have the resonance, depth or sustain that my (Khalaf) oud has, but it also has a sweetness and warmth that I hope my Khalaf develops. Hope this helps. :wavey:

Lebanon
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-24-2005 at 04:08 PM

let me not answer you .I wont go down to your level.I live in a free country, free to say what ever i want to say.
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-24-2005 at 06:31 PM

Stefan, I'm interested but Palestine you take first shot as you're in SF and I'm in the UK and you've given me such excellent advice on oud buying!

David
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 12-24-2005 at 08:34 PM

I think the fact that Jameel still chooses to hang on to and play his sukar oud is enough to make me want to buy one. You really shouldn't need much more convincing than that.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-24-2005 at 09:31 PM

Thanks Dave. That is very gracious of you. I will give it my best, god willing things work out in all our favors. None of us should be denied a grea oud.

merry christmas and happy holidays to all.

as far as oud preferences are, we all have to keep in mind each has his/her own preference. whether its turkish or arabic, maker A. or Maker B. , what is important is we all play beautiful music together.

remember music is the universal language. for those who are conflicting here, you guys should read the story of the relationship between edward said and daniel baremboim( however you spell, its a tough last name) and how music played a critical role in them becoming essentually spiritual brothers.

Not deny anyones legitimacy in their arguements, but I am sure this story can help you guys see the nature of music and its healing powers.

so peace, love and oud.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top