Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Percussion Synthesizer/Machine Software
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 9-10-2009 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Benjamin  
Thanks Greg. Indeed it's better to play along with a real human, but I don't know any percussionist. I'll try to find some of theses cd's, but if somebody has some loops rythms audio files, I would be happy!

Regards, Benjamin

Hello Benjamin,

I don't know if you still need these cd's...

http://br.taringa.net/posts/musica/5137/Megapost-de-musica-%C3%A1ra...

You can find many rhythms there :)
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 9-10-2009 at 04:44 PM

Adbulo, most of the software VST plug ins by Native Instruments allow you to create your own tunings. These are professional software-only synthesizers and samplers you can play with your MIDI keyboard. If you can find Kontakt, or Absynth, these will do it. Kontakt uses a script that you load, Absynth has the feature built-in. You can assign any note to any key. So, let's say you may want to offset the Eb to make it E1/2b, and in cases where you need both, you can use a note that is not used, say C# to be E1/2b and leave Eb alone. You get the idea. It's not as specialized as Mazzika, but you can use more sophisticated sounds. The point is that you are actually retuning the instrument, not bending notes, which has its own problems. I use this 'trick" on my (physical) harpsichord too, just "steal" seldom-used notes to get the 1/4 tones I need, there aren't THAT many of them.

As to a program that can host Darbuka and other VST plug-ins, there's Reaper that can be downloaded and tried out for free, and is a very complete recording studio much like pro-tools.

arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Benjamin  
As nobody answered my question, I simply repost it:

Does somebody simply has rythms he/she could post here to download as I didn't manage to use all of the free programs mentionned here:buttrock:

Thanks, Benjamin

Benjamin, I posted a link in a previous thread that had a lot of Greek rhythms to play along with, but 'm sure there will be useful rhythms for most of you:

http://www.playbouzouki.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=v...

I think the Karsilamas, Syrto (Kasap, Malfuf/Saudi), Tsifteteli (çifteteli, balady), Hasapiko (longa?) and Zembekiko (Zeybek) are pretty universal...
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 02:49 AM

Thank you guys I went to the sites and there was some good stuff
Benjamin
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-17-2009 at 03:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  

As to a program that can host Darbuka and other VST plug-ins, there's Reaper that can be downloaded and tried out for free, and is a very complete recording studio much like pro-tools.

I'm currently trying out the newest version of Reaper on an old notebook only with onboard soundcard and I'm able to create my own rhythm CDs in HiFi quality even with free virtual instruments (VSTi).

Currentyl I'm experimenting with virtual tablas which you can download for free HERE besides several other high quality VSTi's.

Reaper is absolutely great for that low price ... nearly as powerful as Cubase from Steinberg.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-18-2009 at 06:24 AM

Very important is to get the ASIO4ALL driver (free) that shortens delay on MIDI-Sound, EVEN on the cheapest built-in sound. So for instance you can play with drum pads or a keyboard. Without such a driver the delay is too long to be able to play in time, say 200 mS. There are wonderful cheap desktop MIDI pads these days.

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-18-2009 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Very important is to get the ASIO4ALL driver (free) that shortens delay on MIDI-Sound, EVEN on the cheapest built-in sound.

This driver doesn't work with all soundcards, as in my case, though it was originally written for my soundchip (Realtek AC97).

But I got used to the latency ... it's only a problem when recording MIDI or playing many critical VSTIs ... some require a lot of ressources (processor and/or RAM).

But hey ... a good USB soundcard that has it's own ASIO drivers isn't that expensive nowadays.

And we should mention, that they have a great forum, where all this is discussed too.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-19-2009 at 12:31 AM

Good Morning!

Quote: Originally posted by Gondar12  
..., though I must say that the software is a bit too expensive for a starter ...

What? This is the cheapest DAW you can get! You must have missed the private license.

Reaper is shareware without any restrictions (full functionality) and if you are a honest user you will pay 60$ for private use after 30 days of testing. Only the license for commercial use will cost you 225$.

C.O.C.K.O.S seem to play a similar game as Microsoft, because they caunt in piracy to make the software more popular, because Reaper won't loose any functionality after the testing period.

So this software is perfect for starters, even students with a very small budget. Remember what you pay for a computer game and pay the small fee of 60$, when you're happy with this software.

You have nothing to loose, just download less then 5 MB ... yes MB, not GB ... and search for free virtual instruments and you have a virtual studio (including EQ, reverb, gate, etc.) at home for professional recording, if you have a good microphone, including a virtual band. You can even master your own CD. Only a CD burning software is missing.

And the best is ... it even runs smoothly under Linux in Wine :D ... if you don't like Windows or just prefer a powerful free OS like Ubuntu.

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Greetings from Germany

Chris
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-19-2009 at 02:05 AM

There are lots of ways to approach this but at the core you are playing the soundcard with MIDI notes, that have no provision for 1/4 tones, just standard ET. You can use a custom program, or one of two tricks. Trick one is bend the notes partway. The other is reprogram the sound generator to produce different notes than ET.

Trick 1 has a problem: you bend everything on that MIDI channel, if you are playing C and Eb and want to bend only Eb to E 1/2 b , you can only do it if they are being controlled on different channels.

Trick 2 requires a customized sound generator.

If you are using VST plugins as sound sources in Reaper, with a low delay driver like ASIO4ALL, you just need a VST that can respond on multiple MIDI channels at the same time, and then you can bend the desired note on a given channel with a pitch bend message, and leave the other channels untouched.

Or you can use a VST like Absynth or FM8 or Kontakt that have provisions for retuning individual notes (trick #2), and when you play an Eb it will sound an Eb sharped 50 cents.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top