Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Now Online: The Internet Oud Database
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-2-2006 at 05:11 PM
Now Online: The Internet Oud Database

Ok everybody, this is what I spent my New Year's doing.

http://www.msocp.com/InternetOudDatabase.htm

The database will only be as good as the contributions I get. So start sending me your pics. Sound files will be posted soon. Here are the guidelines:

Photos must be clear, high resolution. At least 600 pixels wide. This does not mean you can upsample already reduced images. They will just get worse.

The pics must be relatively free of peripheral objects, we want to see the oud.

No blurry photos will be posted.

Ideally a photo of each would be nice: back (bowl) back and side shots, front, pegbox, fingerboard, rose/shamsa (if applicable), closeups of any interesting inlay. Generally I'll post as many non-repetitive photos as you send.

The following info:

Year and luthier
Back wood/s
Face wood
Fingerboard wood
Weight in metric or imperial
Scale length
Strings used for recording
Tuning (low to high)
Width at widest part of the face
Length of body (neck joint to bottom)
Depth of back
Current owner and e-mail/contact info (optional)
Any other unique or interesting info.

If a recording is available, only good quality recordings will be posted, in the interest of the good reputation of the luthiers represented. Ultimately, I'll have to make this judgement.

I look forward to this new site being a great resource. If only it had existed when I got my first oud several years ago.....

:wavey:

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 03:17 PM

Well done Jameel this looks like its gona be a really usefull tool.
Sidi
Oud Maniac

Mood: Very Sad...

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 05:00 PM

Great stuff Jameel, this is opening up very nicely. I'd like to see more info on the ouds being posted...additional dimensions perhaps. We could start by adding body/face length and height, then we could possibly add bowl depth. Such dimensions should help us compare our ouds and hopefully draw better conclusions. I really wish I had more time to help.:shrug:
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 07:32 PM

Jameel, can you also add names of current owners and optional emails?

Thanks,

Rami
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 08:24 PM

I think its best that whatever information that is displayed be provided by the actual owner. Lets say someone doesnt want there email there then its not fair to pressure them.
Since its a volonteer based database its up to the owner that wants his oud featured there to include all the necessary information. If the information is complete enough to be usefull to someone then it should be up. Looking forward to see many of the member's ouds up there and if they wish to have there name included in it I dont see how its a problem. But The foccus is to have a database of ouds made by different makers and of different materials and to hear what kind of sound it produces. Mainly for use as a ressource.
Thanks again to Jameel for making it happen once again.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 08:54 PM

Great job Jameel. Other helpful info would be dimensions like has been suggested by Sidi, but this could be too much of a task to give such detailed measurements. However, if the specifications on the photos are that they show a head on shot of the face and a head on shot from the side, then only a couple of simple measurements need to be made to convey many. These two measurements could be the scale length and the width of the neck at the bowl-neck joint.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 10:46 PM

Whats up Samir,

The reason I suggested this is because if we were to inquire further about a certain ouds characteristics, we can always ask the respective owner for info since they are the most knowledgeable. Yes i agree email is private imformation. But for the most part it is common knowledge that all oud posts are traced to this forum so we can always know who they are and u2u them here or post on the forum any questions.

instead of emails you can always do u2u handles which is probably safer.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 10:56 PM

Absolutely,
What I thought you were saying was that they had to have some kind of contact information Or else they wouldnt be featured. My bad.
If one wants to give there email, or even just there nick name under mikeouds.com then its good to contact them for more info if needed.
What might hapen tho if someone is a known artist or even a collector that puts up a nahat or something and say that person doesnt wish to give more information about the oud and doesnt wish to be contacted, Then it would have to be an option to be anonymous to respect everyone. But of course If you want people to contact you with more questions you should be more then free to do so. Jameel will have the last word for this aspect.
But in the mean time you should get your pics up here and on the database for your new oud. Cant wait to see it bro.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 11:28 PM

im workin on it man, ya i feel you. I intended my suggestion to be optional. Ill get new pics up.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 06:12 AM

Thanks, Sidi, Samir, and Rami.

I updated the posting guidelines to reflect your suggestions.

Elie, the neck length and width are fairly regular dimensions (53 cm wide is typical neck/body width). And the neck length is dependant on the scale. Typically it's 1/3 the scale.

Mike's been gracious and allowed me to uplaod the audio files to his server. Many thanks, Mike.

I'll be updating the database soon with more ouds.

To everyone reading this, please send me your oud info!

kalliopios@gmail.com
http://www.msocp.com/InternetOudDatabase.htm

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jameel

Elie, the neck length and width are fairly regular dimensions (53 cm wide is typical neck/body width). And the neck length is dependant on the scale. Typically it's 1/3 the scale.

I am not certain about the 53 cm neck/body width, it must be a typo, that is a foot and a half wide neck ( a king Kong oud :D.) Please clarify.

About the only typical thing I have seen regarding oud is the slight variations in dimensions. These measurements which I suggested are just reference numbers which can be used to obtain the rest of the dimensions from the photographs if one is interested in such information (I am.)

Regards,
Elie
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 03:31 PM

Sorry, Elie. 5.3cm or 53mm.

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 04:48 AM

hey jameel
hey how are you i miss talking to you guys alot i just dont get on the pc over here so much so i just want to say hi and keep up the good work and also i htink its a great i dea
thx sammy
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 08:21 AM

This is just to point out to Jameel's beutifull effort in providing us with oud online database. And there has been some VERRY nice additions on there just look all the way left and all the way right :applause:

Just would like to remind you all to share the pictures and sound of your oud that way it can become a good ressource to guide our purchase.

Go To Top