Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bach Transcriptions to be published
Stefan Andalus
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 12:42 PM
Bach Transcriptions to be published

Dear friends - My book of oud transcriptions of music by Bach and other Baroque composers will be published in about a month. The music is at an intermediate level, and might work really well for an oud with tied-on frets, since there are no intervals smaller than a half-tone. The price will be $10.00 including postage. If you would like to be on the mailing list, please let me know by Email at MRBAYNE@sbcglobal.net. If you know of other people, not on this forum, who might like to try these pieces, I would greatly appreciate your spreading the word. Happy New Year to all, with wishes for more peace and justice in the world than we experienced in 2005. Steve Bayne
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 01:21 PM

Dear Steve,
This is great and exciting news. Congratulations on your book. I do look forward to getting my copy.
Have you ever considred attaching CD's containing the sound files of the actual transcriptions in that book? I believe this became the common practice nowadays.
Happy New Year to you too.
Best Regards,
Hatem
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 04:52 PM

Steve,
Can you post a list of the works you have transcribed and, if possible, a brief description of the differences between your transcriptions and the traditional manuscripts already published?

I'm not generally a Bach fan but having played several of his pieces on the double bass I can assure everyone that it is one of the most rewarding composers to play when you understand the music as he intended.
Stefan Andalus
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 09:21 AM

I've included selections from the lute suites, as well as from the suites for unaccompanied violin and unaccompanied cello, the French suites, and a couple of the organ-chorale preludes. I've kept as much as possible of the originals, changing notes that are very difficult to finger using oud, and isolating melodies from contrapuntal lines, since the oud is a melodic rather than a harmonic instrument (except in the hands of a supreme virtuoso like John Bilezikjian).
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 09:57 AM

Sounds great Steve. Are these going to be in Arabic notation or Turkish?

Stefan Andalus
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-4-2006 at 11:13 AM

The music is notated on a bass staff for an oud tuned in descending fourths (from treble to bass) c,g,d,A,E. Oud staff notation is sometimes written an octave higher than the instrument actually sounds, which is primarily useful for Turkish oud playing on the two treble strings, since their notation falls in-between bass and treble clef .(Viola clef works for this, but most musicians other than viola players cannot read this clef quickly).I avoid all this complication by notating for the actual tone produced by the oud, and transposing so that most of the playing is in the middle of the oud's range.

Go To Top