Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Eager to learn
Hala
Oud Admirer

Mood: Reflective

[*] posted on 11-27-2003 at 09:35 PM
Eager to learn

My name is Hala and I am a Palestinian living in Portland, Oregon. I am a busy trial attorney who has always had a passion for the oud. I recently cut back in my law practice so that I may work on issues involving Palestinian refugees, write depressing poetry and learn to play the oud. I have never played a musical instrument before nor do I know how to read sheet music. My greatest fear is that although I enjoy listening to the oud to the point of experiencing rapture, I may not possess the innate talent to learn such a complicated instrument. I suppose only time will tell. I have made contact with Mr. Issa Boulos who was gracious enough to promptly respond to my email. He suggested I start by taking lessons. Anyone on this list know of a oud teacher in Oregon? If not, I would be willing to fly to California for lessons if any of you can suggest a teacher there. Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Hala
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 11-27-2003 at 09:46 PM

Welcome to the posts, Hala. I'm not sure of teachers in Oregon, but I do know there are ones in California. There is a fantastic oud teacher here in Los Angeles. I'm sure others people that post here may know of more, but if I could advise you on an oud teacher, I'd say the one here is a great one. E-mail me for more information if you like.

We always love to hear that there is a new oud admirer out there, so you have already become one of our own. Welcome to the posts.

TP21

P.S. My e-mail address is truepharaoh21@hotmail.com .

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 11-28-2003 at 09:22 AM

Hi. I can suggest some good teachers/contacts in Seattle if you like, which I'm sure is closer to you than California. One is an amazing player who was featured on this site recently, Dr. Munir Nurettin Beken. If you are interested in learning more about him, please go to: Munir Nurettin Beken

There are others also if he is too busy for a new student, but he can get you in touch with them.

He is amazing as a musician and one of the best guys I know.

Take care
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 11-28-2003 at 05:00 PM

Hi Hala,

I suggest you contact Richard Hankey, aka Dr. Oud. He builds and restores ouds, and lives in Camas WA, which can't be that far from you. I am sure he is familiar with the oud playing community in that area. You can reach him at droud@droud.com, and his web site is http://www.droud.com

Since you have no previous musical experience, I think its very important you take lessons to get you on the right track. And make sure your instructor teaches you how to read music, that will expand your possibilities of learning the repetoire. To comment on your fears, talent is great, but tenacity and perseverence is more important at this stage for you.

Good for you Hala! Let us know how it goes. More women need to play the oud! Have you seen this http://www.kamilyajubran.com

BTW, I am also Palestinian, and my mom's side is from Nazareth, and I really want to go visit my grandmother soon, when it settles down a bit . . .
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 12-1-2003 at 09:16 AM
Oud Lessons

Marhaba Hala,
I would be pleased to help you get started with the oud. If you contact me I will send you my location and phone. (My manager's (wife) policy is not to post personal info on the web, you understand). I am located about 20 minutes from Portland near Vancouver in Camas, WA.
richard@droud.com

Go To Top