Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Non-Oudist with a few questions
Abe
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-27-2003 at 10:59 PM
Non-Oudist with a few questions

Hi my name is abrahim and Im a palestinian living in Ohio.

Im an advanced classical guitarist and pianist, I play lots of Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.

My quesiton is, what tuning can I use on my standard guitar to play arabic sounding music ? Is that possible ?

Shookran !
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 11-27-2003 at 11:03 PM

Welcome to the posts, Abe. Well, the oud is tuned to CFADGC or CGADGC depending on what you like. So already, you have the ADG from your guitar. I suppose EADGCF (?) would work. It depends on what kind of music you want to play, I suppose. I guess the newer stuff could work well with that. That's just my opinion. I'm sure there are others more knowledgeable here than I am about this.

You will only be able to get some songs, though. Many songs are composed with microtones in them in Arabic music. I suppose the only way to get that on a guitar would be to bend the string up with ur finger, though it'd never be a consistent quarter tone. Try it out, don't be discouraged, and continue to post if you have more questions.

TP21

Abe
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-27-2003 at 11:28 PM

So is that EADGCF a relative scale to the other you gave me or should I just tune to one of the first two ? And at what octave are all of these at ?

Thanks for the help!
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 11-27-2003 at 11:31 PM

Well, the ADG are all the same octave as the ones you have currently set on your guitar now. Everything is just done in relation to that. You can tune it to CFADGC if you like, but then you lose the consistent transference between the two, in that your ADG get shifted down. If you want to play it the more oud-like way, go for CFADGC.

TP21

Go To Top