Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What is this: Greek saz, Turkish Buzuk, etc?
Renato
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 08:30 AM
What is this: Greek saz, Turkish Buzuk, etc?

Hello friends,
A woman approached me after I played saz at the Turkish Cultural Center here in Santiago, Chile and wanted to know what this instrument was. She said it was a saz, then I thought it might be a bozuk. (picture attached)

She says her grandmother was Arab and Greek. This instrument looks like a Greek saz, but also I´ve seen pictures of similar instruments played in Uzbekistan, with widely spread out frets, and little diamonds on the neck. Also in Afghanistan they have a similar saz-like creature.
IS is a buzuk/bozuk?
What is it?
Thanks,
renato
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 10:54 AM

Foto is required please :) we will help you

Nikos
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 07:08 AM

Here is the instrument Renato is asking about.

Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 10:02 AM

This looks like a Persian (or kurdish) Tanboor, which typically has 3 strings 2 of which are tuned in unison. There are 4 string tanboors too with 2 pairs of the strings tuned in unison. Persian-kurdish tanboors don't have quarter notes. It also could be a european take on a Turkish saz. I don't see a bridge. Tanboors have very short bridges.
Hope this helps.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 11:08 AM

Peyman, I think you are right, even though one sometimes runs into instruments that the makers built with an unconventional feature drawn from a related instrument. The two dark strips on the ends of the soundboard are commonly found on the Turkish saz, but the soundhole is not (although old 19th-century baglamas that I have seen often had a soundhole on the face). The white dots on the neck and the wide strips used on the bowl are also not typical of the Turkish saz. The ebony pegs are not the traditional ones kind of peg used on these instruments, and it could very well be that they are not original. This tanbur would have a floating bridge rather than one that is glued on the soundboard.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 04:22 PM
my bad!

Sorry, I was wrong. It's not a tanboor. The tanboors from Iran always have 14 frets. This is definitely turkish. It's a take on a cura (Jorreh), the small version of the baglama, probably from a village. The reason I say this is because I have seen undesized curas played by villagers that don't have quarter notes. The two toned soundboard and the soundhole are also very turkish. Here are my baglama and cura.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 09:16 AM

Peyman, your two pretty instruments look distinctly Turkish (your smaller saz, though, appears to be substantially bigger than the typical cura and more like a kisa sap baglama - are you sure it's a cura?). I think that the soundhole on Renato's instrument is not typical of Turkish instruments of the saz family - at least I have not seen it on recent instruments in all my time in Turkey. I checked a bit and found a photo of a Kurdish musician in Iraq playing a tanbura with a soundhole on the face of the instrument (it's in the album titled "Kurdish Music" issued as part of the Unesco Collection). Small soundholes with rosettes are also found on buzuqs, but Renato's instrument is not a buzuq (I have attached a photo of my buzuq).

Another question has to do with the frets. It looks to me from the photo that they may not be accurately placed on the neck, with strangely large intervals even up the neck where the frets would be closer together (unless some of the frets are not clearly visible on the image). It's possible that frets have been moved or came off, and that we are seeing something that is no longer representative of the original.

I can't exactly place this instrument, although it is definitely not a typical instrument of the urban saz family. It could be a Kurdish or rural version of a saz from the areas of eastern Anatolia or northern Iraq. In the rural areas of the Middle East there is a rich variety of instruments, but they are not quite as known or studied as are the more familiar instruments from urban settings.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 11:23 AM

Thanks for the compliment al-Halabi. But I am sure it's a cura because I bought it from the maker as a cura. The picture is a little decieving, the baglama is much larger than it appears.
As for renato's dilemma, this is not a buzuq; it is definitely a member of the saz family. Some baglamas still do come with soundholes and rosettes, even bigger than this. The shape of the instrument also suggests it might be designed for doing 'selpe' (shelpeh) or the 'shorreh' techniques, the glissando-like technique from Anatolia and Western Iran.
We don't know the length and we can't tell if those dots are inlays on the instrument. It also looks like someone fitted it with ebony violin pegs and that there might have been a 5th peg. I initially thought it was a hole for hanging the instrument.
Al-Halabi is most likely right, and it's really hard to make a geographical guess on where it is from.
Anyway, it's a nice instrument. I'd probably take out those nylon frets. They looks too thick. I'd fit it with thinner fishing lines.
Good luck.
alex-nozh
Oud Junkie

Mood: has found, but continue to search...

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 12:59 AM

this instrument is a 'TANBUR" or persian "SETAR"'

http://www.setar.info

Regards :)
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 08:38 AM

Al-halabi, that's a very nice buzuq you have . . .
who was the maker?
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 09:50 AM

Brian, thanks. The maker of the buzuq is Fu'ad Haydar in Damascus.
Renato
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 05:37 PM

Thank you all for your comments, opinions, guesses!! The instrument needs a brige and a few other fixes, but I`m apt to believe now that it is a really old saz, as one saz teacher told me, or a tambur. It is a bit big for a setar, but then again, along the borders of all of the middle eastern, central asian countries, there is a lot of mixing and matching of designs, etc. So, at least I know it is not a buzuq.
Grazie a todos!!
ciao,
renato
Anyone know of Ud instructors, players here in Chile? It is a bit lonely down here!! I am currently playing ud and saz in a band called "Canto de Agua", or Su Sarkisi (Song of the water). We play traditional Turkish, sufi, and central asian tunes used in music therapy in Turkey and Central Asian over the last three centuries.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 04:13 PM

Hey Renato,
I found a similar instrument listed on Ebay. See if the measurements match your instrument. It's called a "Greek saz."
http://cgi.ebay.com/TURKISH-STRING-MUSICAL-INSTRUMENT-GREEK-SAZ_W0Q...

Go To Top