Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: OUD Quality
reverbunit
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-18-2006 at 09:47 AM
OUD Quality

I am looking to spend about $300 us dollars on an OUD. i found this on EBAY. Is this a good beginner OUD for the price?

Click here to View Ebay Ad

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.scottlindsey.com

-------------------------------------------------
MARTAN
Oud Addict

Mood: LOOKING FOR NEW HORZIONS

[*] posted on 1-18-2006 at 10:21 AM

HI FROM Martin
it looks good value on the suface .Specialy with the hard case..if you go for the buy now..but you never know till you have got it in your hands...ANY WAY GOOD LUCK ON ANY PURCHASE.
Regads Martin
reverbunit
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-18-2006 at 10:32 AM

thanks for the reply. i am looking around. you ever ordered from? http://www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr/catalog.htm

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.scottlindsey.com

-------------------------------------------------
Musa
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 07:54 AM

Hi Scott,

I feel that you would be better off for the money with Eraydin. He is an oud maker, and so you can get better quality and service. When you order, ask him to make sure that the oud has good resonance, the string action is low, easy, and without buzzing, the pegs fit well and don't slip or stick, the oud holds its tune well, there are no cracks, etc., and the strings are good quality. Also tell him that you will be reporting your results on this, the most popular oud forum, and that you will be having an oud expert look it over (try to find one). You can also try Sadetin Sandi, if you can get the link.

Wishing you much success!!

Salamat,

Musa
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 02:44 PM

I would not buy that ebay oud. No way, no how. Generally, inexpensive ouds covered in mother of pearl and whatever else are made for the eye, not the ear.
I have not tried one of Haluk Eraydin's $300 ouds, but my guess is that it would be much better than this.

Django
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 03:01 PM

I agree totally with Jonathan. With ouds in the lower price regions, generally the more decoration on the face and the bowl, the poorer the sound. There's so much mother of pearl and plastic that there is very little wood to resonate, and the heavy varathane varnish on the wood keeps it from resonating as well. Long ago I made the mistake of buying one of these as a second instrument, and I spent more time wrestling with the pegs than playing it!!
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 11:35 AM

Lord knows, I'm probably the person on this site most sympathetic to E-bay specials, but I agree wholeheartedly with Django and Jonathan on this one. Ornament on an expensive instrument may be a plus, but on a cheap instrument it's virtually always going to come at the expense of sound quality.

I don't have any personal experience with Haluk's ouds, but they have been rated highly on this site, and they seem to have their priorities strait, in terms of offering value for money in a no-frills beginner instrument.

Take care, Mark
hott10
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-8-2006 at 05:53 PM

i have that exact oud, it sounds fine except one thing.... the tuning pegs are loose in mine and it wont hold a tune for the life of it.... im trying to get that fixed. but it is pretty, and the tone it nice when its in tune.
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 5-8-2006 at 07:02 PM
Hi ! reverbunit

This is nothing but a tourist oud, You are more towards having a good quality oud with Haluk than this one. There are lots of members here with Haluk's oud and no one ever said nothing but positive things.

Also this oud has got lots of plastic decor on it which makes it too heavy and the pegs are not made to be used ... they are just a look.

I have one of them and it is not what you think it is.

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
Shadi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-10-2008 at 07:38 AM

hang on to your money for a while. Ebay and Amazon.com ouds just aren't worth it unless you get it as an experiment to see if you take to the instrument.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top