Printable Version  
Author: Subject: strange oud photos
radixfc
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 12:06 AM
strange oud photos

;) hi everybody!!
I´ve seen with my first post some interest in my lute from morocco, so I´ve made new photos to show. Let me explain: It´s a lute much thinner, but maybe 6 or 7 cms longer than a standard arabic oud, it has 6 single strings (so it´s not a kwitra-qitra with 4 double strings). I bought it at marrakesch, in a little shop where a oud bulider had lots of ouds, but most ofthem special for women...
:shrug:
what do you think of it????
let´s see the photos:
radixfc
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 12:09 AM

another:buttrock:
radixfc
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 12:35 AM

anoooother
radixfc
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 12:50 AM

and the last!!!:airguitar:
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 07:07 AM

It's certainly not an oud, that's for sure.

David
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 10:52 AM

How is it tuned ??
Can you post a clip ??
What is the name given locally ??
Musa
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 08:21 PM

That's certainly an interesting looking instrument! Al-Halabi - what do you think this is? It reminds me of "guitar-lutes" that I have seen and played - a lute bowl with guitar stringing and fingering. I recall playing one at a luthier's booth that sounded very nice. Perhaps this is a "guitar-kwitra."

I find the innovation in hybrid type instruments from North Africa to be fascinating. Also interesting are women's instruments (see the women's oud thread). Middle-Eastern countries are stereotypically viewed as being repressive towards women. Yet, they produce specialized ouds and other instruments, as well as entire stores, that cater to women's needs. In the world of Western instruments, if a woman has trouble handling an instrument, the general attitude is "tough!"

Salamat,

Musa
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 09:39 PM

Hi,

Let us face it, they are repressive for the most part. Grant it, they may not be when it comes to the woman entertaining the man.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 11:28 AM

This instrument is not a traditional Moroccan lute. It does resemble, though, some medieval lutes known from pictorial illustrations. Some luthiers today are reproducing historical instruments that look very much like this. A few examples can be seen on the web site of the Spanish luthier Jesus Reolid:
http://ret007ei.eresmas.net/reolid/i-vihuelas.html

This instrument could be such a reproduction, or a copy of one. Or it could be a hybrid instrument. Its shape is similar to that of the older Turkish lavtas, which also have an elongated body and shallow bowl. I think that the guitar lute is a bit different. I am attaching a couple of photos of my lavta and guitar lute for comparison.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 11:44 AM

Lavta
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 11:46 AM

Guitar lute
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 12:00 PM

Guitar lute
radixfc
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 03:33 AM

:wavey:
Hi everybody!!!
thanks for your attention.
I also think it´s an hybryd. I had also a lute-guitar (german) some years before and it´s very different. this lute was tuned as an oud when i got it, and a friend of the maker played some songs with it as it were a simple stringed oud.
maybe I´ll meet Jesus Reolid next month... he´s making a reconstruction of the lutes and viols of a gothic fachade of the cathedral of my hometown (pamplona).
i post a photo of my lute-guitar (now my uncle has it)
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2006 at 10:46 AM

I think Al Halabi is right, the instrument posted by radixfc is not a traditional moroccan instrument......it is a traditional hybrid algerian origine instrument.

In the Tafilalet region south east of Morocco, and not far fm Marraqush, where Radfixfc found the instrument, the local contemporary music is called Al Baldi. One branch of AL baldi music is played with rythmic support of the snitra a local mandoline known as the "Algeria" from its country of origin.

You know, algerians are grat inventers of instruments like kwitra, algerian mandol etc etc.

So we can say that the instrument posted by Radfixcf is a snitra or an "algeria", a traditional hybrid instrument....
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2006 at 12:36 PM

Here you have a photo of a Snitra with a right guitar pegbox slightly inclined with a peared bowl
Paul007
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 01:41 PM

Hi, radixfc
that is interesting instrument. How does it sound? Can you put a sound clip?
Hi al-Halabi,
does your instrument sounds like mandolin? Can you upload a sound clip?
I am just wondering whether they sounds any closer to the Chinese pipa.
Thanks!

Paul
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 10:52 AM

Paul,

The Turkish lavta uses nylon and wound silk strings like the oud, and it sounds much like an oud, although the timbre is a bit different. Mandolins have a more metallic and bright sound because of their metal strings and much smaller string length compared with the lavta.
When I have a chance I will post a sound clip. The albums of Tanburi Cemil Bey's recordings issued by Traditional Crossroads include a taksim that he did on the lavta.
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 09:23 AM

Hi. Very interesting thread. Al Halabi, I particularly enjoyed seeing pictures of your lavta - a very beautiful instrument.

As to Paul's request for recordings on the lavta, there's also a fair amount of lavta playing, including a fine lavta taksim on 'Letter from Istanbul', an album by Derya Turkan and Sokratis Sinopoulos available on Golden Horn records http://www.goldenhorn.com

Speaking from personal, same-room experience (since I own both a lavta and a pipa) I would suggest that the sound is very different. Among the many structural differences that would account for this - (1) the Pipa is somewhat longer; (2) the pipa has single strings rather than courses; (3) the pipa is much heavier than the lavta, having a very thick single piece pear shaped back , while the lavta has a much lighter staved construction (4) when playing the different registers the pipa probably has more prominent high notes than the lavta, probably because of its longer scale length - however, on the low notes, the lavta is more resonant - I'm no acoustician, but I would think that the reason for the latter is because the lighter, staved construction of the lavta seems to carry and amplify lower range vibrations better.

Take care all, Mark
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 12:46 PM

Chinese female takht, fm left to right, rabab or kamandje, oud, i do not know, qanoun.....
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 03:06 PM

Re zalzal's photo: The Chinese names: far left - erhu, middle left, pipa, far right, gu-zheng (long chinese zither). I can't make out what the middle one is, either - given the colorful, many toned costumes, it's hard to tell exactly just what shape the instrument's resonator is - perhaps some relative of the dutar, with a small pear shaped resonator and long neck? Relatives of the central Asian dutar are found in western China, especially around Kashgar, an old silk road trading stop....

Zalzal, you're absolutely right in pointing out the similarities between Chinese instruments and their Middle Eastern counterparts- however, in each case, there are differences too. I've addressed some diferences regarding the pipa in an earlier post in this thread. As to the gu-zheng, it's a very long instrument - typically over 4 feet long, sometimes well over 5 feet (the Japanese version, known as the Koto, can be over 6 feet) - as such, I think, on average, the gu-zheng would be longer than a kanun...

Playing style for the gu-zheng is different as well - there is no provision for quarter tones per se, and certainly none of the elaborate levers used in the Turkish kanun. Chinese music is much more diatonic in emphasis - in fact, far from providing for quarter-tones, the typical tuning for a gu-zheng is a pentatonic major scale, with a G or D tonal center - so in some material ways, there's even less options than on a chromatically tuned West European guitar. What helps make up (in terms of scope for creativity) for these traditionally imposed stylistic limits is a playing style that allows for various types of pitch slides, by way of ornament. One of the ways this is accomplished is by one hand pressing down on the string on the unplayed side of the high, trestle-style, single-string bridges, that (as a group) run in a diagonal line across the width of the instrument. The note is plucked by the other hand on the opposite side of the bridge in question, while the string is in this depressed position, then the string is allowed to return to its normal, shorter string length, thereby creating a slide up into the intended pitch. It's a beautiful, haunting effect, which is immediately recognizable as one of the quintessential sounds of the Far East....quite different from anything I typically hear people do on the kanun (much as I enjoy the latter instrument in its own right)....

All the best, Mark
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 01:43 PM

Thank you Kasos, the mystery of this photo i took last year in Paris is now solved....merci
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 05:25 PM

De rien... meilleurs souhaits, Mark au Canada...

Go To Top