Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bach (and Vivaldi, Corelli, Paisanello) for oud
Django
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 03:41 PM
Bach (and Vivaldi, Corelli, Paisanello) for oud

My Bach and Baroque transcriptions for oud will be ready next week. I've decided that members of this forum will not be charged for them. The transcriptions will also be sold on Ebay and in ethnic music stores for money, and that should be plenty for me. If you have already sent me a cheque, I'll just rip it up. So..please send your mailing addresses to MRBAYNE@sbcglobal.net, and I'll send out the transcriptions next week. I hope you have fun with them. My next project will be a book of oud transcriptions of the Cantigas de Santa Maria - a project I've been meaning to do for many years. Cheers and regards, Stefan
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 05:37 PM

Hi Steve,
That is very nice of you. It is a real honor to have a great musician like you as a member of this forum.
Best of luck with the project.
Regards,
Hatem
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 06:42 PM

Thats too kind Sefan.
we are all endebted towards you for making those transcription.
On notations I sort of have a problem and Iam shure you could help me. I have learnt to read music playing the trombone for 10 years. Now this trained me to read music in the FA clef. Wich lower then the SOL clef of course. I wonder why oud is writen in SOL clef and not in FA clef since its has a pretty low register. Your intake on this? Also I sent you a u2u
Thanks again Stefan.
Django
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 07:25 PM

I have written my transcriptions in the Fa (or bass) clef, which is the actual sound of the oud. Many oud players use the treble clef, particularly players of Turkish and Armenian oud music, because a lot of the playing is on the two highest (nylon) strings. When you use F clef for this, a lot of the notes fall above the lines of the staff, and so are hard to read. So the custom is to notate the oud an octave above the actual sound. I think this is too confusing, so I have notated the classical pieces at exactly the sound the oud makes, which is in F clef. I hope you and all my fellow lovers of the oud will enjoy this attempt to translate European classical music to the language of the oud.
Time
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 01:11 AM

Thanks a lot this is very generous of you
peppeo77
Oud Junkie

Mood: easy like ever

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 03:28 AM

This is very kind of you, I'm wishing you the best for this project and everything it involves.
Ciao, Giuseppe.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 08:32 AM

Stefan, thanks for your generous offer. It is kind of you indeed. I appreciate your effort to notate the music in the oud's actual register by using the F clef, although I have a small reservation about this choice. Middle Eastern music is conventionally notated in the G clef. The same sheet for a piece would be used by players of the oud, qanun, violin, ney, tanbur, etc., even though they play in different registers, sometimes even two octaves apart. Musicians know how to use the notation for their particular instruments, just as we oud players use the standard notated versions without worrying about the fact that we are playing one octave lower than the notation indicates. Guitar music is also written an octave higher than the actual sound and works fine. Sticking with the G clef seems to me to have the advantages of familiarity and convenience, with the understanding that for an instrument like the oud the standard notation represents the music as being an octave higher than it actually is.

In your transcriptions did you transpose any of the pieces to keys that would make for easier fingerings and execution on the oud, or did you leave them in their original keys?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 08:38 AM

I think part of the reason for commonly notating oud music in treble clef is that (at least in Arabic music) everybody reads the same sheet and transposes it to suit their instrument--the music is not usually written for specific instruments. Also, the majority of the music is between Bb below middle C and the G above the treble staff (sounding an octave lower on oud, of course), so it fits pretty nicely there overall, with the entirety of the 3rd and 2nd strings and the 1st string up to the fifth fitting on the staff.

That's really generous of you, Stefan, to offer the transcriptions to forum members for free. Did you publish the book yourself?
Django
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 11:01 AM

Many thanks for the explanations about treble clef. Really interesting! Yes, I did transpose some of the pieces for easier fingering, especially since I wanted these piece to be accessible to beginning and new intermediate players. My next project, the Cantigas de Santa Maria, will be for more advanced players. The music was published by a business I started years ago, Eraz Publishing ("Eraz" means "dream" in Armenian). Eraz is a cooperative effort between me and RPM Seattle, which is an outfit that translates hand-written manuscripts into perfect computer copies ready for publishing. Cheers, Stefan
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 12:01 PM

That sounds like a cool project . . . i'd like to know more about it.

Have you heard the recording "Du désert d’orient aux jardins d’Espagne " by Hayet Ayead and Christian Zagaria? She sings and he plays oud (one of them also plays percussion). They do some of the Cantigas on there, as i recall. beautiful recording, unfortunately not available in the US.
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 09:53 PM

Thanks Stefan, I am definately looking forward to the music. As far as clef, I don't think it matters too much so long as you can read both clefs.
Django
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-24-2006 at 04:50 AM

Thanks so much for the comments about this. I' considering doing the Cantigas in treble clef - and I'll get the opinion of professionals like Simon Shaheen, John Bilezikjian and others about this. The printer is aiming for wednesday to have the copies ready.

Go To Top