Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HOW TO COPY FROM TAPE TO CD.....
Lebanon
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 05:33 PM
HOW TO COPY FROM TAPE TO CD.....

Can someone help with instructions how to convert Tapes to CD's..I have a bunch of old tapes and would like to convert them to CD's. I only have a a regular portable tape player....Thank you in advance..
Regards Samir
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 06:53 PM

Samir... Do you have a DUAL tape player with one slot that is for recording?

If you do. Here are the steps to record them to your computer.
You will need a sofware that allows you to record from your LINE in. There are a few programs out there that do just that.

First you need to get one of those convertor tapes used to connect portable cd players to a car stereo. (used by people who dont have a cd deck installed and just a tape deck)

You have to put the tape in with the conection string coming out of the tape machine. You put it in the side that has the RECORD button.
Then you put the tape you want to have on a cd on the other side without the record button.

You take the connetion line from the tape and insert it in your LINE in. In back of your pc it should be the blue input of the soundcard. Then you press the RECORD button and the play button at the same time on the side that has the tape with the string to the LINE-in.
And on the other tape you press play and you will have sound comming in your computer's speakers if your line in is turned on.
Then you open your recording program and activate the record from line-in input.

There you have it. Cheapest solution+ great results. I think you can get one of those tape adaptors for like 20$ maximum.
Lebanon
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 08:33 PM

Ghayeh Samir Maseek bealf Ghyr. Safe lon ton que onepa parle;...Fransawiyati saret d3ifi, laarja3 3ala libnan laatawa aktar.
Any way i have one portable tape only and there is no where to plug anything except an ear phone...
I just recieved from my friend Nazih Ghadban a real great book that teaches you how to play the oud ..with it 10 Tapes made in Syria with the explanation.
August I will be going to Lebanon , Inshallah , and we will drive to Syria and buy the DVD's to it or if they do not have them possible VHF ...This book is great and it starts from A to Z never seen any books like it.
Thank you very much for taking the time and responding , Please keep in touch. It has been a long time that i did not hear from you, Hope that you are going great so do your parents.
I am back to work , so I am kind of busy , but thank God that I made it after one year at home.
Best regards Ghayeh Samir and all the very best...
Samir Ibrahim
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 09:26 AM

Another solution is to get an RCA-to-1/8inch adapter and use the regular RCA wires coming out of the tape deck, and use the adapter to connect the wires to the computer. This method will give you slightly better audio quality than using a cassette adapter, but it won't work if your cassette deck has no audio outs (sometimes happens on all-in-one type systems).
Either way, you need a program that can record audio. Audacity is an okay free one for Mac. I'm sure there are a lot for PC.
Lebanon
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 07:26 PM

I have one connection is the connection to the Earphone and nothing else on that portable CD/Tape player......So no way i can do anything....Thx
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 08:33 PM

actually you can get a 1/8" to 1/8" stereo (make sure it's stereo, not mono) cord and connect it directly from the cassette player to the computer. I don't know where you are, but in the US, Radio Shack sells them.
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 05:57 PM

Yep.

Connect the 1/8" cord from your headphone output on the tape player to the line-in input on your computer's soundcard.

Open your recording software and hit 'record' and then hit 'play' on the tape player.

You will have to do some experimenting with the levels. You'll need to find a happy medium between the recording level on your computer and the volume on the tape player. Usually the tape player should be medium to medium-low in volume... this will help reduce noise/hiss. On your computer, a medium recording level will usually work.

If you get everything on the computer I'd be happy to attempt to clean up any hiss or noise in the files. Audio editing is a bit of a hobby for me. Hope this helps.

Go To Top