Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Going to Qatar. Good place for Oud?
rasuulilasahraa
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 07:02 AM
Going to Qatar. Good place for Oud?

I'm going to be making a trip to Doha, Qatar very soon. Is this a good place to buy Ouds?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 09:51 AM

Hi Rasuul,

I used to live in Qatar. I remember an awesome oud maker. I dont remember the name, but I know his store was called "Mosika Al Sharq" or in English "The Music of the East". He is Aremnian and made some of the best ouds, which were purchased by singers like Ragheb and Abadi. He also gave some ouds to Talal El Maddah and MOhammed Abdo. His old store was in Al Sadd street.

Be very careful with some of these sellers. Some of them were big rip-offs. I know two of them I dont want to mention. They had very small shops in Doha.

I also heard from the members in this group that Maurice Shehata has a shop in Doha. He is, as you probably know, one of the best and most famous makers.

Chris
aytayfun
Oud Junkie

Mood: luthier and player

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 10:28 AM

Selam ya Rasuul
First of all you must decide the type of oud you wanna play. Arabian or turkish oud. If u decide a turkish type then you can connect with luthiers as Mustafa biçicioğlu, Fevzi daloğlu, Mustafa çöpçüoğlu, Dinçer dalkılıç, Faruk Türünz, Saadettin Sandı etc. But first decide the type of music you'l play.

Dr. Tayfun AYDIN
rasuulilasahraa
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 01:26 PM

I'd prefer to play an Arabic Oud (I already have some experience with the Arabic music system on my violin), but I have heard a Turkish Oud could be tuned like an Arabic Oud, In which case either type of Oud will do.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 2-3-2006 at 12:37 PM

Salam Ya Rasuul,
I believe Maurice Shehata has a shop in Qatar. He is one of the best makers around.
Go to his webpage and you will find the contact info.
Good luck,
Hatem
aytayfun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2006 at 12:47 PM

Salam ya Rasuul
Yoe can look the websites, droud.com,oudmaker.com. etc, Be sure that you can tune a Turkish oud to arabian but youcan tunne an arabic to Turkish. The turkish oudmasters called the arabic ouds as tracks and according to me the turkish ouds can be called as luxury automobilles.

Dr. Tayfun AYDIN
aytayfun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2006 at 12:48 PM

Salam ya Rasuul
Yoe can look the websites, droud.com,oudmaker.com. etc, Be sure that you can tune a Turkish oud to arabian but you can not tunne an arabic to Turkish. The turkish oudmasters called the arabic ouds as trucks and according to me the turkish ouds can be called as luxury automobilles.

Dr. Tayfun AYDIN

Go To Top