you can stream a video of a concert I did today here:

video

It's 1 hour long.
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 04:26 PM
Congratulations

Thank you Brian for sharing this lovely video.

Very good work. It's a shame that we can not download it.

Please tell us more about the lady on the violin who did the first taqsim ... her feelings on the violin were so touchy.

Your playing is very nice as well as the music.

If there is a way to download this concert please tell me.

All the best brother

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 04:44 PM

Thanks for that, indeed real nice concert.

Quote:
If there is a way to download this concert please tell me.

There is a tricky way downloading it, but you should first get the authorization from the owner.

best regards,
chaldo
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 05:12 PM

Magnificent, Brian. What a group you've assembled. I wish I could have been there, but this video is a welcome substitute. Many congratulations.

Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 06:03 PM

Brian,
The music is just beautiful. Wonderful playing by all of you...Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
Amos

Our music is like an ocean...
mikokiko
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 07:15 PM

I must say, that music you guys played is very touching and comforting...you guys are just missing a Qanun player. Otherwise, you are a complete takht.
I really would like to download this performance though...it is BEAUTIFUL!
minstrel
Oud Addict

Mood: humble

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 07:20 PM

Wonderful job Brian,
I especially like the instrumentation....don't get to hear too many violas in this setting!
Thank you
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 07:36 PM

Brian,

Let me add my congratulations to those you have already received and the many more you will receive.

This is wonderful stuff. I loved the extended improvisations.
It is always a joy to see the videos from Trinity, because their production values are so good. But this particular concert was very special.

If you decide to make a DVD of the concert, please put me down as your first paying customer.

Regards,

Greg
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-3-2006 at 07:22 AM

Thanks a lot everyone, I'm glad you liked it. It was a real treat to perform in such a nice concert series; hopefully they'll have us back.

I don't know anything about downloading this; there is probably a way to do it, though.

Leanne Darling is the viola player who took the first solo. We've been playing together for a while; she's studied with Simon Shaheen and Bassam Saba. Her website is here:
Leanne Darling
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 2-3-2006 at 12:25 PM

This concert prove to whoever need it to be still proved, that middle eastern music or maqam music or maqamlar music or whatever you want to call it that:
- This music is a universal human treasure which can and is to be played by any people, whichever be its geographical origin as long as she/he has acquired its basic fondamental keys and cultivates constantly its technical aspects.
- The creation under the patterns of this music is neverending totally opened, still findings and discoveries are to be done by all of us, provided we work hard, and a lot....;just like Brian Prunka is doing.
Thank you and can we have more details on maqam and rythm of each composition ?
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-3-2006 at 12:49 PM

Great stuff Brian...thanks for sharing this with us. I enjoyed the performance a lot. All you guys sounded great!

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-4-2006 at 09:14 AM

Quote:

zalzal

posted on 2-3-2006 at 03:25 PM

This concert prove to whoever need it to be still proved, that middle eastern music or maqam music or maqamlar music or whatever you want to call it that:
- This music is a universal human treasure which can and is to be played by any people, whichever be its geographical origin as long as she/he has acquired its basic fondamental keys and cultivates constantly its technical aspects.

Zalzal, I agree with you. I have to give a lot of credit to Simon Shaheen, who has made it his mission to educate and inform westerners about eastern music, to show everyone that this music has as much importance to human culture as any western music.

re: the maqam and rhythm of each composition, here you are:

1-maqam Kurd (on D), with a modulation to Hijaz. there are four rhythms: wahda, maqsum, sai'idi, and masmudi (and a return to wahda)
2.maqam bayyati, with modulations to 'ajam (Bb), and saba. the rhythm is 9/8, but the gyspy variant that sounds like 12 12 123 12
3. 1st part: maqam Hijaz (on G), modulating to Bayyati on D for the second part. I don't remember the names of first two rhythms; I just picked them up off sufi records. The third part is in beledi for the most part.
4. maqam suznak, with modulations to huzam and bayyati nawa (and briefly to jaharkah). The rhythm is 23/8, which I made up. it goes like this: 123 12 12 123 123 123 12 12 123, which is like jurjunah+3+jurjunah (10/8 + 3/8 + 10/8)
5. maqam nahawand (on F), the rhythm is çiftetelli, or wahda kabireh. The middle section goes to bambi (8/4: 123 123 123 123 12 12)
6. maqam Hijaz Kar Kurd (C), with modulations to Hijaz (C), and Ajam (C), and a very brief saba zamzam (G). The rhythms are bambi and maqsum. The solos are in 12/8, which for this performance we chose an afro-cuban rhythm.

Mike, thanks for the compliment, and thanks for giving us a place to share.

-Brian

Go To Top