Author: Subject: Magdy El Ashmawy master luthier vs Naseer Shamma scam
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 2-14-2006 at 10:56 AM

Samir/Ronny,
:applause:
NO COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am kind disappointed that it took you guys a while to figure it out!!!!
Regards,
Hatem
Longa
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-14-2006 at 03:54 PM

Thats not all true
I have registerd a while ago and befor that I registered as Mr Longa.

It's nothing against Naseer he is a good player but I can't understand it when he comes on TV and says for example that he invented the one hand playing method for the disabled.??

The worst thing I heard him saying is that Jameel Bashir did'nt have horizons (In other wards that he himself is the abselute master of the oud). If you ask me I think he is agood player (for Iraqi style) and he should stick to that.

On one of his latest interviews he siad that ''he considered him self the garnd son of Zeryab the Iraqi man who changed the world'', he didn't even take a little time to research and find out that Zeryab was a black African possibly from Sudan.
klip
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 10:31 AM
To Longa

Longa, you show you are being biased as I said before, you admit yourself that naseer is a good player I would add that he is the best in the whole of the middle east. why are you jealous of him?? is it because he is not an egyptian or you might have had an oud half price from you know who???? and why do you attack David Parfitt?? do you know who he is? as far as I remember Dr. Parfitt is the one who certified Al Farabi's document which Naseer discovered in Ireland which was documented in the film Naseer made for the Iraqi Ministry of Culture in 1998. Look at David Parfitts comments about Naseer in the internet just type Naseer Shamma+David Parfitt in google. and also his comments about Ahmed Haider who was a colleague of Nasseers in Iraq. It looks to me that Manscript and Al Halabi were trying very hard to discredit Al Farabi's document might be linked to you. I will try to get Naseer Shamma to give his comments on this page by the weekend.
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by klip
and why do you attack David Parfitt?? do you know who he is? as far as I remember Dr. Parfitt is the one who certified Al Farabi's document which Naseer discovered in Ireland which was documented in the film Naseer made for the Iraqi Ministry of Culture in 1998.

Well that's news to me, I must say!!! :D
Longa
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 01:47 PM
To Klip

First of all I did not mention anything about nationalies.
If anything I have always admired the way the Turks and the Iraqis for the method they play. And If you want to know who my favouirite players are I will tell you that Jameel Bashir from Iraq and Byram from Turkey are the abselute masters. So please don't bring nationalaties into this, its rather a filthy and rude thing thing to say.

Secondly I don't know where you got the Idea from that I have one of Dr Magdi's ouds. Several months ago I hade an oud made by Maurice for me. Thats one of several ouds I have all from Egypt. So try and ''BE POLITE AND LEARN NOT MAKE FALSE ACCUSATIONS TO PEOPLE''

And it doesn't really matter if Naseer writes or not I'm not giong to hold my brath over it. And when I say he is agood player that does not mean he is the best to me. If any thing I think there are so many good players who playe the same style (check the website that Samir from Canda had put) The Iraqi theacher called Hassan Ali does the same style as Naseer (if not better).

Its up to you really who to learn from and who to listen to just remember keep your manners in order.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by klip
It looks to me that Manscript and Al Halabi were trying very hard to discredit Al Farabi's document might be linked to you.

This conspiracy is news to me. I have no interest in the squabbles on this thread, which are already quite tiresome. I read the document on Naseer Shamma's web site and gave what I thought were sound reasons for raising questions about the claims that were being made based on it. I said that the document could not have been written by al-Farabi as claimed because it uses terminology for the names of the strings which came into use only much later. Al-Farabi does not use any of this terminology in his treatise 'Kitab al-musiqi al-kabir.' Why is that? I also said that the instrument in the diagram had only seven courses, not eight as claimed. The names of the courses are listed twice, as follows: Iraq, Sikah, Ashiran, Dukah, Nawa, Rast, and Nihuft. If there is an eighth course on that oud, what is it? The tuning in the diagram happens to be identical to that documented in contemporary sources for the 7-course Egyptian oud of the 18th and 19th centuries, using the precise same names for the courses. That led me to the conclusion that this document is most likely an illustration of this later Egyptian oud, written by someone in the 18th or 19th century, and that attributing it to al-Farabi was mistaken.

It would be good if someone familiar with the provenance of this document addressed these observations on their merit. Some information about the Irish library and the file from which the document came could help to establish its possible authorship and date.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 08:22 PM

First I want to say that I share your views 100% Al Halabi. I dont agree with the slandering and the implications of other members someone has done on his thread.

I found this exerpt from a al jazeera interview where Naseer talks about the 8 string oud of al farabi. You must read arabic tho. I think It definetly rules out the possibility of a mistake made when editing the site.

http://www.naseershamma.com/interview_ar.html
bayati
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 10:02 AM

To Samir Canada:

Positive reply I think what you mean is that the script for Al Jazeera programme about Al Farabis document is true and Mr. Nasseer Shamma is admitting the whole story about his Al Farabi document.

To Al Halabi:

you are a real professional researcher whoever you are and people should not try to say things about the scholars and the well informed participants on this site by posting silly and childish remarks.

Let us all try to gain as much knowledge from the knowledgeable people on this page and let the wood worms go back into their holes.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 10:09 AM

Dude... dont put words in my mouth. I said that I agree with the questioning done by al halabi and I share his views.

I just found what Naseer said in a interview. I dont know if what he said is true and quite frankly I dont care. I just figured that if we have his statement on it then you can read both sides of the story and decide for yourself.

You see this thread is taking away from people just playing oud. And the main problem is that many people talk about history and documents and etc... and they havent touched a oud in there lives. Lets get back to playing and enjoying the instrument we love.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 10:44 AM

This thread has been closed.

In brief...I just wish musicians stick to music...politicians to politics...historians to history...etc. etc...If you've ever heard a famous actor talk politics, you'll know what I'm talking about...The trouble starts when people who are not authorities on the subject matter are mistaken for authorities.

Finally: I would like to thank Dr. El-Ashmawy for the outstanding video of George Michel.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top