Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chris Jarret Trio (jazz with oud). Link to MP3 Samai Chad Araban
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 2-6-2006 at 05:50 AM
Chris Jarret Trio (jazz with oud). Link to MP3 Samai Chad Araban

http://www.chrisjarrett.de/mp3/SamaiShaddAraban.mp3

And his site also interesting
http://www.chrisjarrett.de
maran
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-6-2006 at 07:59 PM

i had never heard of chris jarret until now, but he bears an uncanny resemblance to keith jarret in the picture on his website, and just happens to be born in the same city (allentown, pa.) as keith was. on top of that they both play jazz piano. maybe they're related?
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2006 at 09:58 PM

Me also was amazed at the resemblance and coincidences. I know that Keith has 4 or five more brothers and that one of them is still doing music in California i think. Anyhow is a good surprise to find a Jarret making oriental music.
I think Keith Jarret developed on one of his improvisations, the mode Hijaz on his particular way, meaning covering the whole possibilities of the mode and the piano. Did you know the name of this track and the cd name ??
maran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2006 at 01:34 PM

I will have to listen to it again to make sure it is hijaz (or the tempered version of it at least), but on the track You Don't Know What Love Is/Muezzin from the album "At the Blue Note: June 4, 1994" he does what you are describing. The Muezzin part refers to this improvisation. By the way I think this is one the greatest jazz trio live recordings ever put out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000046PX0/104-1554656-1050309?v=g...
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 03:16 PM

Thanks very much for the references in this thread. Some very interesting music there - in particular, there's some (West European) Baroque, and avant garde piano stylings in the Chris Jarrett piece that are quite inspired -who would have thought that one could mix those styles with traditional Middle Eastern music so effectively?

I think this may be something that's worth following up on....

Mark
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 04:34 PM

Ha! I was going to post that as well. That album is great, especially that tune and their version of 'Autumn Leaves' with the extended modal vamp.

This is pretty cool music . . .the oud player sounds really good

here's what I found:
Quote:

In Jazz rhythms

Chris Jarrett, a jazz pianist, is proposing his own endless experimentation to that of his famous brother, Keith Jarrett, one of the most influential musicians. The Athens public has enjoyed Chris Jarrett’s music, with free admission, on September 16th, 2004, at the Pikioni Playground, in Filothei.
Chris Jarrett presented the “Suite Greque” music show, in which he has adapted a series of rebetika , Asia Minor tunes , Greek folk songs and Mediterranean musical traditions in jazz orchestrations - something that, if anything, has not been attempted by another foreign artist so far. In Greece, it was Giorgos KONDRAFOURIS who did this, with Sofia NOITI as his vocalist. Pianist Gioula ANDREOU-ZOGRAFOU, traditional percussionist Giorgos JANETOS, and clarinet player Giorgos KOTSINIS from Stratinitsa, Pogoni, Ioannina, also took part in this concert. Indicatively, let us quote some of the adaptations by Chris Jarrett, to which he has given his own English titles: “Eurhorebetico”, “Marcia di foria Hellas” (a dance of the Zagori area), “Ásia F Minor”, “Zeibekiko Variations”.
Chris Jarrett was born in 1956, in Allentown, Pennsylvania, to Slav parents, and took his first piano lessons, at the age of 13, by the great Austrian pianist Vincent Ruzicka. He first worked with record companies in 1985 and, after his first two albums, “Dance to the volcano” and “Outcry”, he made the “For Anne Frank” album, containing music for the ballet, and his first symphonic work, “Loves me not”. His musical repertoire is wide, with a considerable tendency to experiment, and he has also composed records for a women’s choir, for a rock band, for the opera: last April, the “Romeo and Juliet” opera was staged to his music, at the “Young Person’s Theater”, in Düsseldorf.
maran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 08:16 AM

Yes and the other part of that album i love is Gary Pea<b>rooster</b>'s solo on Bop-Be. After more than ten years of listening to it I still can't figure out what he's doing there. I was in high school when this came out and was completely mezmerized by everything on it. I've heard a fair number of Jarret's albums and this and Facing You are I think my favorite ones.

This is a great post for me because although I grew up listening to the Turkish/Armenian music a lot as a kid, the music I first got into in a big way was the Bill Evans era stuff in jazz. Now that in the last few years I have rediscovered this rich music of the Near East that we are all fascinated by, its neat to see a connection between the two through the Jarrett brothers.
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 05:55 AM

Maran i think you will like Wajdi Cherif's music, see this thread.
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=3244

Go To Top