Printable Version  
Author: Subject: tunings
frank
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 10:51 AM
tunings

Hello everyone,
I'm a new member. I've just bought a fairly inexpensive oud form Raafat at Egyptian lines.Can someone please confirm that the tuning should be (from low to high) DGADGC.At the moment it appears to be DF#BC#GA. I have Mutlu Torun's tutor and would like to learn from this.Is it possible to change the string gauges on this oud to tune to the turkish tuning F#BEADG (Western :C#F#BEAD)? or should I buy a Turkish oud as well!

Incidentally I play a lute back hurdy-gurdy If anyone would like some photos of this remarkable instrument,let me know.
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 10:14 AM

Hey Frank... welcome to the forum!

DGADGC is a common tuning of the oud. Personally, I use CFADGC, as it gives me a wider range to work in. Afif Taian, who you may have seen videos of on this site or on his site (http://www.afiftaian.tk), also tunes to CFADGC.

I know of others who tune to EADGC (without the bass string). Farid el-Atrache tuned his oud to this. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.

There is an interesting post going on in the Oud Home Page forum that deals with whether or not Arabic music can be played on a Turkish oud, and vice versa. Rather than taking a side, I'll post the link here for you to decide:

Click here for the post

I hope this helps a little. You can tune it to Turkish, but will it sound the same? That's a question you have to ask yourself after trying it out. To each his own (tuning :D ).

There are many more knowledgeable people in this area on this forum about this than I. It's just a matter of time until you get a definitive answer.

We hope to see you post more in the future!

TP21

samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 03:49 PM

I'd be very careful tuning an arabic oud (I am assuming) to the turkish tuning. That increases the tension against the soundbaord, and the oud may not handle that, resulting in damage to the oud
norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-16-2003 at 05:13 PM

i keep mine ( a Turkish) at DABEAD whi i like a lot. this isa mionor third down form the Bahsir tuning, but its very friendly with a lot of other instrumets...

Go To Top