Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Floating bridge (Bashir)
mysticoud
Oud Addict

Mood: YAY!

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 02:55 PM
Floating bridge (Bashir)

I was just looking at Dimitris' Bashir type oud at his site, I think I'm in love...
Does anybody know if the floating bridges have any advantages over the classical bridge? I've heard that they sound different, but how so?
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 03:25 PM

hi. what i've heard is that the bachir oud was designed specifically to give the most optimal projection and tone. it involves the floating bridge of course, but also the top and braces of the oud.

Munir Bachir designed it with the help of European physicists I think. Pretty cool...

later,

mav
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 03:33 PM

>Munir Bachir designed it with the help of >European physicists I think. Pretty cool...

I really don't know where you got this from? Mohammad Fadel was using the classical mandolin as inspiration.

Best wishes

Ronny
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 04:00 PM

Since the floating bridge does not depend on the glue joint of a conventional oud bridge, it can accomodate more pressure with higher pitch, more strings, and/or larger string guages. Any of these will produce a stronger sound waveform. The Bashir oud has a different structural design to compensate for the higher pressure capacity of the floating bridge. If you try to put a floating bridge on a conventional oud, the face will depress and may collapse from the compression pressure. In addition the face of a Bashir oud is set at an angle to get pressure on the bridge while maintaining a playable action/string height. Then there's the shape of the body.....

There's more to it than just a tailpiece and floating bridge.

Richard
http://www.droud.com/
pevelg
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 04:53 PM
Is it worth it???

I am mostly interested in Arabic Ouds for there deeper sound... I listened to the clip of the Bashir and it is very nice. Is that the deepest sounding oud there is??? Also, would it be better to buy the bashir or the arabic oud. Which would have the greatest playability and sound?

Pevel G.
----------
Email: pevelg@ownmail.com
pevelg
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 05:03 PM
is this a bashir???

One of my favorite oudists is Naseer Shamma... I was wondering if the oud he plays is also an Bashir. Here is a beautiful video clip of him playing in a small band. The file is just amazing!!!!

Stream: http://www.orientaltunes.net/realvideo/Ya_Msaharni-56k.ram

Download: http://www.orientaltunes.net/realvideo/Ya_Msaharni-56k.rm

Also, does any one have a mp3 of his work intitled Baghdad Night??? A very pretty and sad piece.

p.s. You can hear short audio clips of Naseer Shamma at his website:

http://www.naseershamma.com

:applause:Enjoy!!!:applause:

Pevel G.
----------
Email: pevelg@ownmail.com
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 05:50 PM

Hi Pevelg,

That was a nice rendition. Listen to this one from the Tarab Website. This is one of my favorite songs for Om Kalthoum.

http://music.6arab.com/makawi..ya-msaharni.ram

There's a lot of nice videos on the Oriental Tunes Website. Thanks for pointing it out.

Take care,
Mike

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 06:22 PM

thanks for these links guys, they kick ---!

haha i love ud!

Quote:

I really don't know where you got this from? Mohammad Fadel was using the classical mandolin as inspiration.

I don't remember where i heard it, but i'm pretty sure it's reliable. the floating bridge idea is old, Bachir didn't invent it (it really goes back to Pythagoras at least), but i think the total design and the tuning of the Bachir oud involved some original thinking that involved some scientists. at least they weren't designing bombs for once... haha

mav
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 04:35 PM
About Bashir

Dear friend,Pythagoras at least was one of the ''owners'' of this technique about the bridge.....you see my friend,I will have the opportunity to purchase one of Dimitris's Bashir,and I can proudly tell you that I like it alot.....I invite you to see our new Bashir-Type ouds in a few time,and to hear the sound and ''live'' if you want to by visiting us.....
Regards and respect,oh and for them that they don't believe about Pythagoras,they can search about the ancient Pandourida.....:wavey:
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 04:42 PM
does it worth it?

Yes my friend,I belive that every type of oud is an investition,a goodone,because the quality of the sound is a very important thing in our days......That's why I am going to have 7 ouds in a few weeks.....:D,and I hope and a bowled tanbur[yagli tanbour]:).....hehehe,
the instruments,and the music keep our spirit bright and alive....it's the voice of our soul.....regards:wavey:
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-13-2003 at 09:19 AM
Ancient Instruments

Pythagorus is acknowledged to have developed many mathmatical theroems, however I could find no reference of their direct application to musical instruments. Neither could I fnd any theroy of vibration, wave propagation or related subjects atributed to Pythagorus. Stringed instruments pre-dated Pythagorus by about 2,000 years anyway.
The oldest intact stringed instrument is the great golded lyre from the royal cemetery at Ur, Sumeria, c2500 BC. http://www.nicholas.k12.ky.us/academics/Humanities/sumerian_music.h...
I once found a book on Music Anthropology in the music library at UC Berkeley that had clay tablet dipictions of Sumerian musicians playing lute-like instruments, (although the detail didn't reveal if the bridge was floating or fixed).
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-13-2003 at 10:12 AM

dear dr. oud. what i was referring to was the single string instrument Pythagoras used to measure frequencies. this is very well documented. try the book: TEMPERAMENT, by Stuart Isacoff. Pythagoras used a board with a single string and a movable bridge to determine the natural harmonics, which Middle Eastern music is based on, along with all the modifications and changes that have been made from the many theorists that have followed him (and of course that preceded him). like i said sir, this is well documented. i didn't mean that Pythagoras invented oud or anything like that. as for the fact that around 7000 yrs ago people in Egypt, Mesopotamia, and other adjoining areas were playing instruments very much like what we play today, nobody disputes that. That's one of the beauties of playing ud, tanbur, etc now. this doesn't lessen the contributions of Pythagoras though, or make them less real.

i think you need to relax, i'm not an ethnocentric fanatic or anything. you should really try out this book, TEMPERAMENT. it's very interesting to see how science, philosophy, religion, and even politics went into how our different musics are played today.

Quote:

Neither could I fnd any theroy of vibration, wave propagation or related subjects atributed to Pythagorus.

the question is, have you even looked?
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2003 at 04:45 PM
Temperment and the Bashir oud

Well all righty then. My search engines didn't find a reference to this book. So I haven't read it, but I did read this review:
http://www.powells.com/review/2001_12_13.html
While it is a very interesting subject, (the measurement of intervals), it seems to be concerned with the study of tempered intervals and how to achieve harmony tuning a piano. Since the oud is fretless, this is not a problem as the udist will naturally adjust their finger position to "temper" the interval that might sound dissonant on a fixed interval type of instrument (like a piano). Interesting stuff, to be sure. How it relates to the design of a Bashir floating bridge oud I still don't know. I'll look into the book and see if it was overlooked by the reviewer.:shrug:
mysticoud
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-15-2003 at 05:06 PM

This is getting very interesting. I'd like to hear more about the designing of the Bashir oud (...calling Dr. Oud). How does the oud accomodate such downward force; heavier bracing pattern? What other things are different in a bashir oud compared to a traditional arabic oud? Was it intentional, in the design, to leave out the rosettes? So many questions...
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2003 at 05:15 PM

You can also look here for a general summary of some impacts he had on music. Most encyclopedias should have some basic info.
encyclopedia entry

You should get the book, it covers from Ancient Greece to modern times, and discusses a lot about his contributions, and of course many others'. It's only around $10 on Amazon.com.

it really has nothing to do with the bachir oud, i only mentioned the floating bridge used by pythagoras in passing the first time. i agree with you that many things go into the making of the bachir oud, i was just answering the comments you made about pythagoras. if you remember you made an entire post about that

later,

mav:shrug:
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2003 at 08:25 PM
Bashir Design Features

The bracing is a bit heavier than a "traditional" oud, but the big difference is the way the face is supported. In normal ouds the face floats on the braces and is not supported by the edge of the top ribs. The braces are then only butt joined to the inside of the top ribs. The Bashir design by Fadel added a corner fillet around the inside perimeter of the face, and the braces are locked into notches in the fillet strip. The Bashir face is also a little thicker than a Nahat, for example.

I don't know why there are no roses. I saw a concert by THe Bashir Oud Ensemble, with 15 Bashir ouds! It was on the Kurd Sat Telsat -5 sattelite channel. Some had roses, some didn't, but from what I could tell, they all had floating bridges... 15!!

There are reinforcement plates inside the rose holes. The body is a little flat (not a full hemisphere) and the tail end returns about 3mm.

Richard
mysticoud
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-15-2003 at 09:13 PM

Are you talking about kerfing, or just a solid thin piece of wood around the inside perimeter of the bowl?
Why don't they use kerfing in ouds? It seems like it would make the whole structure more stable, and a lot easier to attach the binding or outside marquetry.
Does the Bashir oud face arch as well?
Thanks for your replies.

Dr. Oud,
Have you added the Bashir oud into your book yet?
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2003 at 08:46 AM
Bashir Design

It is a solid piece, and not that thin, either. It's triangular, about 10mm on the legs and a full chamfer on the inside. I believe it is solid to add to the strucure of the body to resist warpage due to string tension. Ouds will eventually warp or curl up over time and raise the action to an unplayable height. The only remedy is to remove the face and trim down the top edge of the bowel. I tried kerfing once and it muted the sound of the oud so it sounded like a guitar (no offense, just a different sound).

The face appears to be flat across, and bent from the rose hole to the tail with a 10mm drop. The original design had the face bent below the bridge like a mandolin.

The Bashir design, plans and instructions will be published as an addendum after the project is completed. It's currently in a holiday delay, and will resume in January.

Richard
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2003 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mavrothis
thanks for these links guys, they kick ---!

haha i love ud!

Quote:

>I don't remember where i heard it, but >i'm pretty sure it's reliable. the floating >bridge idea is old, Bachir didn't invent it >>(it really goes back to Pythagoras at l>east), but i think the total design and >the tuning of the Bachir oud involved >some original thinking that involved >some scientists. at least they weren't >designing bombs for once... haha
mav

If you spend some time doing serious research, then you would know that the long necked lutes with floating bridges came before the short neck lutes. The Bashir oud has nothing to do with your wild speculations, it's a very recent creation; based on the mandolin!

Best wishes

Ronny
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2003 at 03:35 PM

man, you need to relax. chill.

a really talented and respected oud player here in the us told me about that. are you on drugs man? what is your problem? i'm not going to bring a respected player's name into a ridiculous conversation, if you can even call it that.

by the way, i'm done with this thread. you can go on all you want, i'm not wasting anymore of my time here.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-17-2003 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mavrothis
man, you need to relax. chill.

<a really talented and respected oud >player here in the us told me about >that. >are you on drugs man? what is >your >problem? i'm not going to bring a >respected player's name into a >ridiculous >conversation,
i>f you can even call it that.

Please study medieval sources and learn then you don't need to rely on a ¨respected oudplayer¨.

Best wishes

Ronny
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 12-17-2003 at 12:05 PM

Can't we just accept this as a difference in information? One person got one side, another person has the other... it's ok! No need to throw down your gloves and start killin each other yet. Maybe a little of both is right. I like to see people excited about the oud, but don't pull knives on each other just yet. Chill!

We're all lovers of the oud here... if anything, it's good that there are a lot of different sources to tell us about things like this. It shows how much the oud has come up in history and it's importance.

I respect both of your sources, but please... let's respect each other.

Peace,
TP21

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

exclamation.gif posted on 12-17-2003 at 12:08 PM
As I said and before

Well....what can I say.....some people don't really respect some civilisations,ancient as the Greek and the Arab,well dear friends at least we are the owners of those traditions and civilisations,of those cultures,some others just lent them to make an good impresion.....that is my last word about this subject....some people can open the simple school books of history and Culture that they are in Greece,as far for my country and the oud[ancient Pandourida]was used in our temples at least 2500 years ago......so I wan't play with the words.....I am very proud to make a thing like that.....,as for the floating Bridge,Pythagoras was the soul of the Mathematics ,and if someone is a little bit wise can search about that and the ancient ""Kanonas"",So ,if some people want to learn some more,they can search at the elementary school books....Regards to all the people that they apreciate and have in theyr culture the oud ,and of course to the others that they respect at least the history of them....The patience has limits,and the respect has principles .....
Spyros

Go To Top