Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Oud Instruction Book by Bilezikjian
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 07:36 AM
New Oud Instruction Book by Bilezikjian

The new oud instruction book by John Bilezikjian, published by Hal Leonard, started shipping yesterday.
I haven't gotten mine yet, but can't wait.
Here are the details:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0634077864
$9.95 with a cd!! And an incredible picture of the most beautiful Manol in the world on the cover

Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 10:23 AM

Jonathan...is that a Manol???

do you have more infos or fotos about this oud? We know that Manol made normally very simple ouds (without a lot of inlays or something like that)...this particular oud was a special order for someone???..

And there is noone out there who can write a book or make a work about Manol's ouds with fotos,infos etc etc?? I think he deserves it...
He is maybe the first who gave and developed the characteristics of the turkish oud as we know it today...
It would be very very interesting...

Nikos
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 10:29 AM

If there is anything more in the book on the cover oud, I will let you know. I should get my book in a few days.
I know of another Manol that has quite a bit of sedef on it, as well. I, too, really wish somebody would take on the task you mentioned.
Heck, I would love to see a coffee-table type book on Manol's ouds, even if it just had the sparsest amount of information. To me, it is worth the cost of the book just to have a picture of that oud!

Django
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 10:49 AM
oud coffee table book

A number of years ago, when I was taking lessons from John Bilezikjian, I thought of doing a coffee-table book on the oud, with photos of some of the world's most beautiful ouds. In the past I've been a professional writer-editor and free-lance photographer, and the project felt exciting to me. The only problem (as always) was financing, and convincing whoever fronted the money that such a book would actually sell to more than about 100 people. I'd still like to do the book, but the funding problem remains an insurmountable block to the project.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 10:52 AM

Actually, though, the cost of having books printed has plumetted. You can have great hardcover books published overseas (China, etc), with beautiful full cover plates, for a lot less than most people would think.

Django
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 11:02 AM

Do you have any idea how to investigate this? Any names or websites? COnsidering the vast wealth of information present within this forum, gathering the data for the book would be easy. Then it is just a process of editing, writing, organization and photography. Probably the better part of a year for the project.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 11:09 AM

I will try to find it for you. I am a member of an organization that put out a hardcover book a couple of years ago, with almost every page containing full color plates. A beautiful book, that we had printed in China. I think the cost per unit was well under $10, and the amount we ordered was fairly small. I will try to get the details for you.

oudmaker
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 02:20 PM

I got Bilezikian's book.
The cover is aManol oud. Although Manol mostly made ouds with few ornaments; He also made beautiful ouds like you see on this cover.
He himself was not a sedefkar. Many of Manol ouds were ornamanted by Sedefkar Vasif (Died 1940) of Istanbul-Besiktas. He was the most famous sedefkar of that time.
Those Manols from his shop were made for pashas and sultans. Sedefkar Vasif was develope his skills in a school in Sultan Abdulhamid the Second 's work shop in Topkapi Sarayi.
I saw few of those Manols in museums and I did some work one them which is now in Germany owned by a doughter of my friend..
Dincer

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 11:24 AM

Just got my book. It says the Manol was from 1900. The cover folds out, so you get a really beautiful picture of the oud.

Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 07:36 AM

The price in the US is less than ten dollars, but the UK version of Amazon is quoting over 50 pounds, roughly 80 US Dollars!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0634077864/qid%3D114088099...
I'm emigrating to the States!:(
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Just got my book. It says the Manol was from 1900. The cover folds out, so you get a really beautiful picture of the oud.

Where did you order from? I ordered from amazon, but it's over two weeks until they ship.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-23-2006 at 06:06 PM

Just looking for an excuse to post the cover photo of this book.
This book is fairly deceptive. At first glance, you assume that it is just for beginners. And, sure enough, it is the perfect book for somebody starting to play this instrument. It helps the beginner approach the instrument in a logical manner. Tuning, major and minor scales, the chromatic scale, and understanding basic music notation--that type of stuff.
But there is more than that, as well. I have really enjoyed the section on chords. If you have heard Bilezikjian's music, it is often very chordal--brilliantly so. In two pages, he shows diagrams and photographs of how to play 14 major and minor chords on the oud. For somebody like me that always stuck with D major and D minor (or C major and C minor when I tuned Arabic-style), this was a revelation. Sure, I guess I could have eventually figured them out, but I didn't. Every once in a while, you learn something, and hundred more doors open up for you. This is what happenned for me here.
No, it doesn't go into the maqams. But, with http://www.maqamworld.com out there, I guess it is not missed. Instead, it is a great primer just as it is--great for the student, and really of interest to anybody interested in the oud. And for $9.95, including a cd, it seems like a heck of a bargain to me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0634077864

abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 3-28-2006 at 06:52 AM
Bilezikjian Book

Quote:
Originally posted by Stretch
The price in the US is less than ten dollars, but the UK version of Amazon is quoting over 50 pounds, roughly 80 US Dollars!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0634077864/qid%3D114088099...
I'm emigrating to the States!:(

Hi Stretch
I've just ordered the book using your link, price £9.08 + £2.75 pp, a total of £11.83

You better try them again
good luck;)
prayerbone
Oud Lover

Mood: pensive

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 02:46 PM

hi,a newbie here,what tuning is this for? is it written for arabic or turkish oud? ive just ordered it...

Go To Top