Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wound vs. Nylon
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 12-13-2003 at 12:50 PM
Wound vs. Nylon

I'm referring specifically to the D string in the CFADGC tuning of the oud. It takes me about 2-3 months to eat through the winding for some reason. I wiped the oud down after I played last night, and (the winding came off of one of the D strings) the other strings winding started to bust as well.

So, what're the specific differences between winding and nylon? (I already know that it'll sound different, but I need more details please! :D ). Any and all info will be helpful.

I have to choose between what's economically feasible and what sounds better... Help!

TP21

P.S. Are there any local sellers that sell Pyramids, or can they only be acquired from the internet? Please help!

samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 12-13-2003 at 06:04 PM

The difference between the wound v. nylon for the D string is that the nylon sounds warmer, less "attack" sound, not as harsh sounding. However, because the gauge is thicker, it may be too thick for your oud. Are you using LaBella's? I had that probelm with them all the time.

I found the Pyramids to be more durable, and better wound

You can contact Paul, the US rep for Pyramid info@pyramidstrings.com I bought some strings from him before.
mysticoud
Oud Addict

Mood: YAY!

[*] posted on 12-15-2003 at 05:28 PM

You may have to regroove the nut to get the nylon D strings to lay right, otherwise they will sit too high on the nut. So it might not be worth it unless you plan on using wound D strings from here on.
The D strings seem to be problematic with the oud. I use LaBella, but I've also used a turkish brand. Both brands have had D strings that fell apart after a few months. The turkish strings actually broke all the way with less than four months of use!
I think I might just try to order wound D strings in bulk so I can just change the D strings when they become a problem (without having to buy another set).
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 12-17-2003 at 06:55 PM
D string

Hello Fine people

In regards to D string , I personally prefere the Nylon , it is true that it sounds deeper but it also sounds more realistic and I can even say romantic. I would advice you to buy D string in bulk but made of NYLON nothing else.

Good luck Fine people

Emad from Sydney
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 12-22-2003 at 02:22 PM

For now, I'm going to take your suggestions of simply wiping down the oud after I play it. When I realized that the sweat might be the problem, I started to go wash my hands every 10 minutes while playing the oud, and especially before I even start. My go right from the towel to the oud. So far, I haven't seen any change in coloration, so I think that's good for now. If it progressively gets dirtier in a short time, I'll change to nylons.

Thanks everyone!
TP21

Go To Top