Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ROSEWOOD/WENGE or MAHOGANY/WALNUT?
PrinceAbigor
Oud Lover

Mood: creative

[*] posted on 2-19-2006 at 01:06 PM
ROSEWOOD/WENGE or MAHOGANY/WALNUT?

I am talking to Haluk about getting a Left Handed Oud3, and I have the option of getting Rosewood/wenge for the body or Mahogany/walnut. This, with the shipping and a soft case, will cost about $520. What are the pros/cons of each wood? Thanks guys!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-19-2006 at 08:13 PM

I would just pick the one that looks the best to you. If your question is if there is any difference in sound quality between the two, then I would say that the answer is probably not. If there is, it is too slight to notice.
If you are asking about durability, others could better answer it. I suppose the rosewood/wenge is harder wood than mahogany/walnut, but it is not as if you are going to be playing tennis with your oud. Either one should last you a long long time, and one really is not better than another (Manol used a lot of mahogany/walnut combination).

AGAPANTHOS
Oud Addict

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 04:39 AM

Is my first contact with you! My greetings to all members of this forum ,especially to the Master Faruk and to Multi Kulti which i know them in person. This forum makes me hope that the sound of this magic instrument will constantly conquest the heart of the musicians in the East and the West of this world.
My opinion as far as the question of Prince Abigor is concerned, is the following:
-Wenge is a kind of wood i don't appreciate for the bowl of the oud and in general i do not advice its use in musical instruments.
-rosewoods (dalbergia latifolia and dalbergia sisso)are with no doubt a good choise, with good responsive behavior and less dumping. I would suggest that they could be combined very well with maple (acer campestre-acer pseudoplatanus).
-Mahagony and walnut is a good and traditional combination of wood for the back-bowl especially in the case that mahagony is Sapeli or much better Honduras mahagony and the walnut belongs to the species that grow in Europe/W.Asia.
The information of Jonathan about Manol is right and also is a characteristic technical feature of this famous Master craftsman.
PrinceAbigor
Oud Lover

Mood: creative

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 01:11 AM

hmmmm good information. Thanks!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top