Open Secret Bookstore & Gallery
in San Rafael, CA

Date: Saturday, March 4th at 7:30 PM
923 C St.
San Rafael, CA 94901
Tickets: $18
Info & Reservation:415 457-4191
http://www.opensecretbookstore.com

Come and join us in this intimate setting!

Bülbül [Turkish for nightingale] performs Turkish classical music, including instrumental secular music of the Ottoman courts, historical and contemporary art songs, devotional songs from various sufi traditions, instrumental sacred and vocal suites associated with the Mevlevi sufis(whirling dervishes), dance music from the tradition of Ottoman dancing boys, and occasional folk music incorporated into classical style presentations.

This performance of Bülbül now features Selim Koytak of Istanbul, Turkey. Selim has studied Turkish music theory and repertory with several famous musicians, as well as attending conservatory in Istanbul. He now the top student of world-famous oud player Üstad Necati Celik. Selim’s repertoire ranges from strict Ottoman classical music to lighter Turkish art and folk forms—and extends to European, and Balkan fare, including spectacular executions of some Western and Latin up-tempo favorites. He has been playing concerts in Turkey with various musicians, including the famous Gypsy clarinet player Selim Sesler. Selim Koytak is currently on an extended visit to the United States, and is now living in Palo Alto.

Hank Levin performs on oud and ney, an ancient flute commonly associated with the Mevlevi, but now incorporated into all classical Turkish music. A student of Üstad Necati Çelik, Hank is also the founder and director of The Turkish Classical Music Ensemble of San Francisco.

Natalie Hicks has been deeply involved with world music for many years, specializing in Balkan and Turkish music. She has performed with Danica Balkan Chorus, in music ceremonies and presentations with the Mevlevi sufis, and with Latif Bolat's Turkish music ensemble. She also plays bendir, the ancient frame drum associated with Islamic music of many kinds.

Click here for poster PDF for Bülbül Concert!
Stretch
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Levin

Come and join us in this intimate setting!

I only wish I could, Hank!! Good luck with it all. Make a recording? I still have your Art of Ney CD, which I love. :applause:

I've started work with a singer who speaks many languages. We have started with four Greek songs, but I hope to turn her on to Turkish classical music as well. She is fluent in ancient Persian (!), so we shall look into that repertoire too. Our first practice session was recorded (a few mistakes). I'm playing a medium-sized baglama: http://www.musicintime.co.uk/greek.htm

Stretch (the cryptic cyber-pseudoname of Rob MacKillop)

Go To Top