oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 02:20 PM

hey man
the back is out standing
unbalivable wow. sound file would be great man
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 02:22 PM

I like the one thats hung up on the left... simple and elegant
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 05:36 AM

I imagine that Cairo has changed quite a bit since I was living there - briefly - over 40 years ago working as an engineer on a power station construction project.
I did have time to attend a concert at the Cairo Opera house. It had a very impressive red plush interior in the fashion of an Italian opera house with 'private' balconies surrounding the stage. I seem to recall reading in the press some years ago that this building burned down but could be wrong. Is the Cairo Opera house a new building or is it the one that I remember? Just curious.
Beautiful city.
jshead
Oud Junkie

Mood: Peace

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 05:54 AM

The old opera house did, indeed, burn down.

I enjoyed see the pictures of the shop in Cairo. We use to go every other year but haven't been back for 3 years and I miss it. No city like Cairo.
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 01:41 PM

The old Opera House burned down in 1971. The new one opened in 1988.

http://www.cairooperahouse.org

Ticket prices for the festival shows ranged from LE35 to LE150 ($7 - $30 US)!
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 04:31 PM

Thanks for the update about the Opera House. That is a sad loss for the city of Cairo as the old building was attractive and historically important - but nothing lasts for ever - even in Egypt!
I downloaded a few maps of the city and environs and was able to recognise a few of the landmarks that I remember back then in 1964.
I lived in a rented house in Ma'adi (after first spending a couple of weeks in a hotel in Helwan). The power station site where I worked (Cairo South) was located on the opposite side of the Nile from the Saqqara pyramid - which could be clearly seen from the rooftop of the power station.What impressed me most about working in Cairo, however, was the open friendliness and kindness of those that I lived and worked with - a culture where the poorest labourer ( then paid only 50 piastres - or half an Egyptian Pound a day, with a family to maintain) would, without hesitation, offer to share his lunch with me (an outsider who could not even speak Arabic) as a matter of human brotherhood and courtesy. And even when I visited a store in the city to purchase a souvenir , the first courtesy of the owner was to ask me to take a seat and to offer a cup of coffee (you know - the small cup so thick with coffee/sugar that the spoon might stand up in the cup unsupported!). I hope that nothing has changed since then. Quite refreshingly different
from Western society norms.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top