Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone play tanbur?
Stretch
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 11:32 PM
Anyone play tanbur?

I've ordered a tanbur from Cankaya. It may be off topic here, but does anyone else play one? I once studied in Istanbul with Necati Celik, and remember the impact his playing of the tanbur had on me. Very moving. I actually prefered it to the oud at that time, although I was there to study the oud. It has remained in my soul since then, but soon I shall have one. It only seems to be used in Ottoman classical music. Not heard it played in any other context.

Rob
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 11:43 PM

No I don't, but my saz teacher in melbourne also plays mizrapli and yayli tanbur.

I find plucked and bowed tanbur very expressive instruments. I was not aware that necati celik played the tanbur, but I do know that his son Cellaledin Celik is a very very good tanbur player. I met him in Crete, and had a long talk with him about it. A nice man and brilliant player.

If you have any questions about the tanbur, let me know and I can do some research for you.

Also, let me know when you get your tanbur from Cankaya. I was at there shops in Istanbul last july. I tried there ouds and lavtas, but didn't try the tanbur they had. I was thinking of ordering one from them, so post a pic and a sound file when you get it if you can! They are good makers.

Regards,
Paddy
Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 03:27 AM

I too was surprised when he picked up the tanbur in his home and started playing. Very beautiful. His son was there but didn't play. He then let me here Tanburi Cemil Bay, which was listened to with rapt attention by everyone in the house. I should have bought a tanbur then, but Faruk Turunz was finishing off a beautiful oud for me, and I couldn't afford both.

There is a 'Tanbur Metodu' by Sadun Aksut which I hope to get. Don't know if it is any good.

Rob
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 08:14 AM

I understand there are a couple of tambur players that sometimes contribute to this site. 'Peyman' plays tambur, while 'Phaedon' plays tarhu tambur, another wonderful Peter Biffin creation....

FYI, Peyman mostly plucks, while Phaedon mostly bows....

Perhaps you might want to U2U one or the other of them - Peyman's rather the more frequent guest here.... Reaching Phaedon is probably easiest at his website, http://www.phaedonsinis.com/ While you're there, check out the pictures of his tambur tarhu, and listen to some lovely recording on tambur and kemence.

All the best, Mark
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monty88
I find plucked and bowed tanbur very expressive instruments. I was not aware that necati celik played the tanbur, but I do know that his son Cellaledin Celik is a very very good tanbur player. I met him in Crete, and had a long talk with him about it. A nice man and brilliant player.
Regards,
Paddy

Paddy League? or no?

Yes Cellaledin is really a very very fine tanbur player. He has not been playing for very long from what i understand, a few years only but he really plays so beautifully. just a natural. i also met him on Crete this past summer. He played Cemil Bey's Hicaz taksim note for note, awesome, and he gave me some short lessons on tanbur and i then realized how very difficult of an instrument it is. hardest thing is getting a proper tone. i must say it's disturbingly difficult compared to getting a good tone on ud. but in his hands it's just awesome, and in the hands of Murat Aydemir or Murat Selim Tokaç it's really scary or in Necdet Yashar's hands just frightening how incredible it can be, so deep and expressive. and Cemil Bey? I wouldn't even know where to begin. how did he take an instrument with such a long neck and mover around so effortlessly? it must have been just incredible to watch him play.

If you are interested in getting into tanbur i urge you to immediately find a teacher to work on holding the mizrap and on tone. it's essential.

Phaedon plays an instrument called Tarhu. It's very similar to a yayli tanbur but still its own thing. with the way in which his tarhu is set up, it's not possible to get a good sound out of it with a mizrap, the strings are way too thick, like cello thickness.

adam
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 09:57 AM

I should say I am a very amateur tanbur player, even if that, no where close to Pheaden. I love the sound of tanbur, bowed or plucked. It's trans-inducing indeed. I picked it up because I thought it was very similar to the Tar but it's quite different. The tanburs span 3 1/2 octaves while the tar (and setar) is 2 1/2.
I don't have a wooden tanbur but a yayli tanbur. Even though it can be plucked, I usually bow it (love bowing); it's very loud when plucked. I play the radif on it since I am not very familiar with makams.
PB
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stretch
There is a 'Tanbur Metodu' by Sadun Aksut which I hope to get. Don't know if it is any good.

Rob

Hi Rob

Hope you are keeping well and nice to see you back on the forums.

I have the "Tanbur Metodu" by Sadun Aksut - I got it in the Cumbus family shop in Istanbul together with a yayli tanbur. (I wish I had got a normal tanbur instead now, but this one was difficult enough to get on the plane!)

The book itself is not particularly exciting. It has 28 pages of text (all in Turkish) - a few pages about the instrument and how to hold it/pluck the strings, around 10 pages of simple exercises and then 5 pages of single-page pesrevs. The most useful bit of the book is a diagram labelling which notes correspond to which frets.

If you like I can scan the most useful pages for you to save the trouble of ordering the book from Turkey. Just let me know.

All the best

David
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 11:24 AM

Hi David,
Are you sure that's the Sadun Aksut book? Tolumba has it listed as having a 152 pages. Maybe you're talking about the cumbus metodu book? Anyway, I'd have use for the frets and notes label.
Thanks
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 12:56 PM

The tanbur method of Sadun Aksut that I have includes 152 pages. There is also a tanbur method (also titled "Tanbur Metodu") by Emin Akan. It has 307 pages. I am not sure whether it is still in print (it was published in 1989).

The diagrams of the fretting in both methods show the pitches recognized by Turkish theory, but don't account for the additional frets actually used on tanburs to provide lower versions of the half-flat intervals. So you will probably find that you have more frets than the diagrams display.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 02:02 PM

Thanks Al-Halabi;

Here are some videos of Necdet Yasar playing the tanbur. Copy and paste into browser:
rtsp://media.nacs.uci.edu:554/rgarfias/avi/necdet-S075-nihavent.rm
rtsp://media.nacs.uci.edu:554/rgarfias/avi/necdet-s075-zavil.rm
rtsp://media.nacs.uci.edu:554/rgarfias/avi/necdet-huzzam-all.rm
Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 11:33 PM

Thanks to all. I've sent a U2U to David Parfitt. The main thing will be finding the correct frets for the notes, and learning the right-hand technique. Unfortunately I don't know any tanbur players in Scotland to get lessons from, so I will have to try to work it out myself. It is about four years since I saw Necati Celik play, and we discussed the technique at the time. I remember it being a difficult one!

I won't, therefore, send you a sound file until I have learned a bit. I'll be able to transfer my Turkish oud studies to the tanbur, but the techniques for both hands are very different. Wish me luck...

Rob
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 01:00 AM
To Adam Good,

Hi Adam, i've been meaning to get in touch with you for sometime now. I'll send you a U2U.

Anybody who has not listened to these tanbur players absolutely must do so as soon as possible.

Tanburi Cemil Bey (of course)
Necdet Yasar
Murat Aydemir
Ertugrul Erkisi (plays yayli tanbur mainly but absolutely brilliant)

my favourite player at the moment is Dr. Murat Selim Tokac.
A student of Cinucen Tanrikorur and also a brilliant ney player.
On one CD i have of him he plays the most unbelievable Huseyni taksim. It is astonishing.

Tanbur is a beautiful instrument in everyway.

David Parfitt, I was in the Cumbus shop last july. I saw that tanbur method there two. They had a wooden tanbur which I tried but personally didn't think it was a very nice one. It would be better to get a tanbur made by someone rather than a company, like Sagit Gurel who made Cellaledin Celiks tanbur. He makes very good tanburs.

Which cumbus tanbur did you get? the metal bodied skin top or the wooden body with the skin top? I wish I bought one of them instead of the saz cumbus i bought. Thats a great shop to visit.

Regards
Paddy
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 03:23 AM

Hi All

Rob, I sent you a U2U.

Peyman and al-Halabi, sounds like I have a different (and not so good!) method book to the one you mention. On the front it says:

--------------------------------
Tanbur Metodu

Hazirlayan

Sadun Aksut

CUMBUS YAYINLARI

Baski Tertip
---------------------------------

I'll definitely have to check out the other ones you mention.

Paddy, I have the yayli tanbur with the metal body and skin top. I also have a Murat Salim Tokac CD "Genclik Hulyalari", as well as the Necdet Yasar blue CD on the Kalan label, but I think the Tokac one is my favourite. Can you recommend any specific CDs by the other artists you mentioned?

All the best

David

P.S. Sorry for the lack of proper Turkish accents, but hopefully the above is still understandable!
adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 05:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks to all. I've sent a U2U to David Parfitt. The main thing will be finding the correct frets for the notes, and learning the right-hand technique.

Rob, finding the correct frets for the notes is not a big deal. If you are in Bolahenk tuning, your open top string (highest pitch, the string closest to the floor) will be the pitch Yegah. So from there you will easily find Rast, dügah, etc...i believe this string is hardly ever tuned to anything but "A".

Quote:

Unfortunately I don't know any tanbur players in Scotland to get lessons from, so I will have to try to work it out myself.

if you make it to Paris, Gilles Andrieux is there. must be somebody in London huh?

good luck with it and keep us posted how it goes. I'm always toying with the idea of finding a tanbur, it's just an amazing instrument. but finding the time to practice...hmmm

Adam
Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by adamgood
Rob, finding the correct frets for the notes is not a big deal. If you are in Bolahenk tuning, Adam

...umm...you are ahead of me already - what is Bolahenk tuning?

Rob
Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 10:09 AM

Hey David,

Is this the same tanbur method you have?
http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=zBK980281PB872

Rob
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Hey David,

Is this the same tanbur method you have?
http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=zBK980281PB872

Rob

Hi Rob,

No, that's a completely different one - mine only has about 30 pages in all. :(

Best wishes

David
adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by adamgood
Rob, finding the correct frets for the notes is not a big deal. If you are in Bolahenk tuning, Adam

...umm...you are ahead of me already - what is Bolahenk tuning?

Rob

in Bolahenk tuning, Rast is pitched at "concert D".
it's the tuning that most of us learn first on the ud.

The pitch Yegah is an "A" below that D so that would be the pitch to tune your top open string on tanbur. (top meaning highest pitch).

for Kiz (a dotless "i") tuning, Rast is pitched at concert A. there are several different tunings used in Turkish music. those are the only two that i know the names for. another one is where Rast is pitched at B...you'll hear Necati playing makams Rast or Nihavend from an open B string sometimes cuz he likes the sound and feel.

adam
Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 11:57 PM

Thanks Adam. I really must try to memorise the Turkish names for notes, pitches. I find it such a difficult language to memorise. I've ordered the tanbur method from Golden Horn Records.

So I tune the highest course to concert A, what are the concert pitches of the other courses?

Rob
adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks Adam. I really must try to memorise the Turkish names for notes, pitches. I find it such a difficult language to memorise. I've ordered the tanbur method from Golden Horn Records.

So I tune the highest course to concert A, what are the concert pitches of the other courses?

Rob

The tanbur method book can tell you for sure...I don't have mine with me right now.

But my understanding is the lowest pitched string is often a concert A, one octave below the highest course. the middle can be either D or E. i hear either one on recordings. i guess it depends what makam you are playing, what you like to resonate. when i screw around on my cumbus tanbur i like D.

learning the Turkish names for the notes is a really good idea and very useful for learning makam, I know most but not all of them. the easiest way to remember them is to learn the pitches that share the name w/ a makam.

like Rast, neva, evic, acem(and acemashiran+acemkürdi), mahur (wait is there actually a note name of mahuh? i think so), muhayyer, chargah, kürdi, yegah, dügah. lots more of course but they came to my mind first as being easy ones to learn in the beginning.

adam
Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 11:59 AM

The Tanbur Metodu by Sadun Aksut has just arrived from Golden Horn Records - great delivery. It definitely has 152 pages, David (Parfitt), and none of the images you sent me - so I have no idea what you have!

Sadly the illustrations are very badly drawn in the Aksut book, but the music is readable. All I need now is my tanbur, which Cankaya are sending tomorrow. Don't know how long it will take to get to Scotland...

Rob

Go To Top