Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: string buzzing
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 01:36 PM
string buzzing

My friend Turgay asked me look at his oud because there is buzzing coming from the 3rd wound string when he plays g. After inspecting the strings with a jewlers loop, starting where they are tied to the bridge I could only see a very slight unraveling but then when I inspected up along the area of the rosewood finger board I noticed that there was a bit of an open grain, a void, I suspect from rosewood not being as dense as ebony. To correct this problem is there a liquid that we can apply to the fingerboard to seal this irregularity?
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 04:57 PM

Hi Andy,

Bummer man...buzzing can be a complex issue. I would check with Dr. Oud on this one. On one occasion, to get me over the hump till I got a finger board resurface, a guitar maker sanded the spot where I was having trouble, and then mixed super glue with the ebony sanding dust and applied the mixture back onto the finger board...waited for it to dry and then sanded it even....this worked okay for awhile, then the buzzing returned...but it did help temporarily...good luck.
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 07:05 AM

Hi Paul, yes, buzzing is a complex issure for sure. In this case since the buzzing occurs just in that one spot only I tend to believe that it is that slight void in the grain running under the string. Hopefully someone will have an idea of what to do to remedy this.
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 07:28 AM

Hi Andy,

In order to be sure about the reason of the buzzing you had better check just one octave down and just one octave up of the buzzing note. If especially the lower octave is also buzzing then the reason of it may be dismatch between the bracing and the thickness and stiffness of the soudboard at the very certain point mainly come to resonance with that note and its octaves.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 09:27 PM

Helo Faruk,
Thank you for your help. Both Turgay and I have both played the oud up and down the fingerboard on all strings but only hear the buzz at that one spot. This is why I thought to inspect with the aid of a jewelers loop.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 09:41 PM

Is it possible to sand down that part flat. That's what I have done when the same problem started to devellop on my oud and the buzz was gone.
Also I have seen the ouds you have made... you could put in a new fingerboard? should be simple enough for you ;) concidering you have made some nice ouds.
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 07:08 AM

Thank you Samir for your compliment. I was hoping to find out what types of liquid material would be good as a filler to use on the fingerboard that would last for a good while before it is sanded down.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 07:22 AM

Sorry I took the thread in the wrong direction for you Andy.

So... Anybody knows a good way to fill in the void that would last for a good while before it is sanded down?
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy....is there a liquid that we can apply to the fingerboard to seal this irregularity?

I've had some success using filled epoxy, known as "liquid steel" or "JB weld".

Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 07:05 PM

Samir,
I appreciate your help. I should have mentioned I wish I had the time to put on a new fingerboard. Thank you.:)

Dr. Oud,
Thank you, I am sure with all your experience this is the solution, epoxy. I know in the past you have used and suggested using epoxy for some repairs but was not sure if it would have applied to the finger board.
oudmaker
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2006 at 04:36 PM

Andy
I used slow setting black epoxy from Steward MacDonald once for a fingerboard repair.It worked beautifully. Easy to apply. Anybody can do the work.
Dincer

Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-5-2006 at 07:53 PM

Dincer,
Thank you, as Dr. Oud and you have suggested epoxy is the way to go. Where the fingerboard is rosewood I think the way to go would be to use a clear epoxy with some rosewood dust and experiment with it first on a scrap piece before doing the actual repair.

Go To Top