Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Taiseer Elias CD Anyone?
oudmad
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 06:15 PM
Taiseer Elias CD Anyone?

I checked the ARP site for Taiseer Elias CD but it is not listed. I was impressed by his taqaseem clips on this site. If anyone knows how I can get a hold of it, please let me know. I would be glad to exchange CD if necessary. Please help. Thanks
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 12:28 AM

Hello Oudmad,

I can get cd's from Bustan Abraham
1. "Pictures through the painted window"
Look and listen here :
http://cdbaby.com/review/bustan2

2. "Homsa Aona"

3. Ziryab Trio "Mashreq Classics"

I like very much this one.
I can send you mp3 if you want.
Let me know.

Robert
oudmad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 08:05 PM
Taiseer Elias

Thanks for the inofrmation. I have sent you a private message, please check your U2U mailbox as to where to send me the MP3s. Thanks
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 09:47 PM

CDBaby also lists Ziryab Trio's CD: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ziryab There are samples of all of the tracks.

I love Taiseer Elias' playing, too. I just Googled his name and institution where I heard he teaches and found an e-mail address. I sent him an e-mail letting him know that he has many fans around the world and begging him to please record a solo oud CD! I'll let you know what he says if he replies.

All the best,
Udi John
oudmad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Erlich
CDBaby also lists Ziryab Trio's CD: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ziryab There are samples of all of the tracks.

I love Taiseer Elias' playing, too. I just Googled his name and institution where I heard he teaches and found an e-mail address. I sent him an e-mail letting him know that he has many fans around the world and begging him to please record a solo oud CD! I'll let you know what he says if he replies.

All the best,
Udi John

John: Great job! If you do send Elias an e-mail, please tell him there are more admirers than he may imagine, I being one. His music has the intensity, depth, style and aesthetics that can be overwhelming. He charts directions that are loaded with surprises. Elias has the power to leave a seasoned listener stunned. With an instrument, that on contact seems so unwieldy, he would toy with it to produce musical marvels, in brief spans of time and with seemingly little effort. It is a marvelous achievement – that of synthesizing the best of Shaheen (technique, precision, compositional virtuosity and melodic originality) with Abadi el Jawhar’s music that is pure art and infinite heart. One has to look hard to go beyond the commonplace to discover an artist that is able to convey the message that to modernize Arabic music, you do not need to westernize it. Elias tells us that new paths for Arabic music can be charted, both technically and melodically with the same rules and the same tools, but with a bold, daring and fresh approach. Riyadh el Sumbati, that icon of Arabic music and one that will remain its reference point for generations to come had done that – he modernized without corrupting the new forms he produced. That is, he modernized without westernizing. John, please feel free to send my impressions to him (coming from a musically illiterate admirer) and that I keenly await a CD of what I imagine should be pure oud ecstasy. May his newer pieces get longer so we can indulge ourselves in the pleasures of imagining the paths of his musical sojourns that would take his listener from nothing to their melodic orgasms. He is, in my mind) a phenomenon. Sadly though, using my dial-up system would take 4 hours to download the entire CD. So, I’m still hoping to get the MP3s I’ve been promised earlier. Best regards.;)
amarock
Oud Junkie

Mood: musical

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 08:33 PM

ore informations about him:
Taiseer Elias (Israel) – Oud and Classical Arab Violin

One of the world’s leading artists in the areas of classical Arab music and improvisation- performer, composer and arranger. Mr. Elias, founder and conductor of the Classical Arab Orchestra of Israel, has performed worldwide and recorded with groups such as ‘White bird’, ‘Bustan Avraham’, the ‘Ziryab Trio’, and others, as well as composing musicfor theater and films.

Mr. Elias has performed as a soloist, both in Oud and Violin, with the Haifa Symphony Orchestra, the Israel Camerata and many more. In addition he has performed with acclaimed artists, such as the legendary Spanish guitarist Paco the Lucia, and the Indian Musician Zakir Hussein.

Currently, Professor Elias is head of Oriental Music department at the Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance, as well as director of Arabic music programming at the Israeli Radio.
My best regards
Bruno
oudmad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by amarock
ore informations about him:
Taiseer Elias (Israel) – Oud and Classical Arab Violin

One of the world’s leading artists in the areas of classical Arab music and improvisation- performer, composer and arranger. Mr. Elias, founder and conductor of the Classical Arab Orchestra of Israel, has performed worldwide and recorded with groups such as ‘White bird’, ‘Bustan Avraham’, the ‘Ziryab Trio’, and others, as well as composing musicfor theater and films.

Mr. Elias has performed as a soloist, both in Oud and Violin, with the Haifa Symphony Orchestra, the Israel Camerata and many more. In addition he has performed with acclaimed artists, such as the legendary Spanish guitarist Paco the Lucia, and the Indian Musician Zakir Hussein.

Currently, Professor Elias is head of Oriental Music department at the Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance, as well as director of Arabic music programming at the Israeli Radio.
My best regards
Bruno

Interesting and thank you for the information. Yet another revelation of the power of art: that an art form should win the admiration of the very people who are trying to destroy those who produced it. Which makes Elias's art the more remarkable. But still, where are the CDs to be found??
Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 01:12 AM

I'm sorry guys, but I just don't understand you. If you want to support an artist, stop uploading and downloading his recordings!

I know I'm not going to change any of your minds, but here are some facts from a guy (me) who has recorded seven CDs. Most record companies now expect the artist to raise the money for the recording session, which might cost around 5,000 USDollars, more if he has guest perfomers on the session. The artist either pays this himself or finds sponsorship. The record company then pays for manufacturing and distribution of copies. Some even charge the performer for advertising!

So why would an artist tolerate such a deal (thousands do)? Usually for a mixture of two reasons: they are moved to make an artistic statement, and they hope that the disc will get them more work in the form of concerts at home and abroad.

Now for finance: the store usually takes about 55 per cent of the selling price, which is why they can sell for '50 per cent off!' and still make a profit. The government takes its large cut (this varies from country to country), and there are production and advertising costs which the record company need to get back. So on a disc costing, say, ten dollars, the artist will be lucky to get 30 cents.

So, many artists are now bypassing the companies, and doing it all themselves. Great. But there are expenses there too. He might get more back per disc, but there are more expenses.

The truth is that most artists do not make money from CDs. But the money you pay does help pay for the recording session. Without that money, most artists (who do not play pop music) would not be able to record.

I understand why you do it. You want to share the music you love, played by artists you admire. But your actions are having a negative effect. Soon we won't have recordings made in the best acoustical environments with the best microphones and best recording engineers. We will have instead home recording mp3 files played through crap computer speakers. The oud and the artist deserves better.

Oh well...whatever!

:shrug:

Rob
oudmad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 06:19 AM

Dear Stretch: I understand your concerns. But please check my first message. I wanted info on a CD (to buy). If its not available, I'll use the next best method to get it. What do you record yourself?
Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 06:43 AM

It wasn't just your message, oudmad, but many others I have seen on this site and many other non-oud sites. I was just letting off steam. The truth is that it is unstoppable. We live in changing times. Not sure where it's all heading.

My recordings (some of them free online!): http://www.musicintime.co.uk - click on Rob MacKillop on the sidebar, and explore. There are two oud mp3 files there: http://www.musicintime.co.uk/sounds.htm (click on a track called 'Nine') and http://www.musicintime.co.uk/contemp.htm (click on 'The Oud Player of Rosslyn).

Rob
oudmad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 09:33 AM

Stretch: Your frustrations are perfectly understandable. Of the modest oud collection recordings in my possession, I daresay that 5% or less are not CDs legitimatley bought (its a personal preference of mine). Only when CDs are simply not available, do I seek out other sources (this site being one). For one thing the online Elias CD version is too much for my dial-up system. So I guess I'll just wait till it re-surfaces. Good luck in your admirable, but difficult crusade. Thanks for the links. Will get back to you after listening. I hope the files are small enough for my stone age computer to handle!!
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 10:28 AM

Hey everyone,

I just wanted you all to know that I deleted my previous post. I didn't mean to instigate all these problems. With that said, I was not the one responsible for uploading the file, but simply found it on a site and thought I should direct your attention to it.

Sorry again!

TP21

Stretch
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 10:51 AM

Honesty is needed here. I admit that I too have copied discs, and in the old days copied tapes and lps. But I've had a big re-think, and try now never to do it. But I'm no saint, and don't want to paint a picture of my being one. I applaud TP21 for his last mail.

One of the problems we as fans of the oud face is that many of the recordings are difficult to find, even on the internet. So it becomes tempting to look for illegal copies. I understand that. But we must try to support our art and our artists in a different way. I don't know what the future holds for the recording industry, but I imagine that the rich artists will get richer, and the struggling artists will struggle even more. Interesting times - as the Chinese say.

Rob
oudmad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 05:31 PM

All is well that ends well, as they say. I did find a site that sells the Elias CD. As it turns out, its much closer than I thought -- at Rashid.com. I ran into it when I was looking for something else. But that said, let us be a little realistic here. If I am hotly in pursuit of a CD (to legally buy it) and it is nowhere to be found except in some website where its available for free, I have no qualms about getting it for free. Even then, the site may not carry that piece of music for ever. So in my modest opinion, it behooves the artist to sell himself, build a following, and a clientelle in the process. I'm sure that will not be easy and recording artists certainly have my sympathies. But such are the harsh realities of the world of cyber space and I don't see them changing, not for now in any event. Regardless, thanks to TP21 for his willingness to help.
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 04:15 PM

Interesting talk about the ethics of downloading cds... just wanted to chime in that out-of-print music, typically, can be served on the internet without ethical or legal issue until which time it is reissued (I've even said such practices done by artists and fans on artists' official websites).

I've learned of albums that I really wanted but were only available used - for a ridiculous markup on ebay - and I knew neither the artist nor label were to benefit from said sale. Internet downloads fill a niche until the label gets their act together to provide a reissue, when all of us avid fans can go out and legitimately purchase the cd.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 09:21 PM

Hi Eliot,

Nice to hear from you in Istanbul! I also generally try to purchase original CDs, but have no qualms with giving or receiving copies of recordings that are out-of-print or impossible to purchase. Often, instead of recording one whole CD, I often make collections, partly as a "teaser" to encourage people to buy full recordings of the artists represented.

I also just wanted report that Taiseer Elias replied that he knows he HAS to record a solo oud CD someday, even though he is way too busy right now.

In the mean time, I am going to listen to Ziryab Trio's version of El Qassabji's "Zikrayati" and practice it some more myself. Still have to get those tricky 16th notes of last 4 bars down...

Salaam, Selam, Shalom, Khoda Hafez, etc.
Udi John

Go To Top