[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 01:47 PM

a video posted by Jameel in professional clips forum:

http://www.9sekiz.com/yurdaltokcan/content/html/videolar.asp

Nice view on Yordal Tokcan inverted risha
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 01:37 AM

in the april 2004 issue of "lute news" from the lute society of great britain, in an article entitled "playing the lute of medieval europe," professor joseph baldassare mentions 3 styles of plectrum technique:

- traditional oud style position with the tip of the risha held between the pad of the thumb and index finger with the remaining length of the shaft gripped along the inside of the palm. there's early european iconography showing this.

- illustrations for a second technique exist in some 12th and 14th cent. iconography in which the risha is held in a similar manner as the tradional position but with the hand placed below the strings, palm facing up with the plectrum at an angle to the strings. the risha is held between the thumb and index finger but the shaft passes along the length of the index finger, covering the knuckle - a bit like holding a pen.

- a third technique discussed in the article, prevalent in 15th cent. court settings, places the hand over the strings with the palm facing the body of the instrument. the risha is held between the thumb and index finger or middle finger with the shaft passing between the middle and index finger near the base. this has been referred to as "fan picking" and is usually illustrated with a small plectrum - a barbless ostrich feather, baldassare suggests - but can also be seen with larger quill or horn shard.

each of these techniques is discussed in terms of proper use of down and up stroke but as i'm too cheap to join the lute society and receive their news letter, i only have part 1 of the article.

in any case, may i suggest that for those way down here at my level of play, "doing what comes naturally" is the best way to play your instrument and any discussion of proper technique - while interesting - is secondary to that.

- bill

Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 02:39 PM

Here a video showing some risha/playing technique:
http://www.iraqioud.com/picts/ron3.wmv

Best wishes

Ronny
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 02:56 PM

thanks ronny but my steam driven imac can't handle it (installation failed). if you've any information of early european documentation for plectrum use, please let me know.

mega-galactic ciao - bill
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by billkilpatrick
thanks ronny but my steam driven imac can't handle it (installation failed). if you've any information of early european documentation for plectrum use, please let me know.

mega-galactic ciao - bill

steam driven..cool, sure I read your post on lute list about eagle quill and a reply is on the way...

Best wishes

Ronny
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 03:54 PM

Very Cool Ronny...

I sure wish I could see your whole right hand though. The risha seems to have a fairly steep angle relative to the strings - are you holding it with the back end coming between the ring and little fingers or is your whole hand covering the risha?

That Fawsy oud sounds great! :airguitar:

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LeeVaris
Very Cool Ronny...

I sure wish I could see your whole right hand though. The risha seems to have a fairly steep angle relative to the strings - are you holding it with the back end coming between the ring and little fingers or is your whole hand covering the risha?

That Fawsy oud sounds great! :airguitar:

Thanks Lee, yes the whole hand is covering the risha; they are no technical advantages with holding it between the ring and little finger. The angle is step due to my right hand position that is more paralell to the bridge. I play with a eagle risha which is a soft risha and very expressfull to play with. I'll post a more detailed video which demonstrates also some right hand finger plucking.

Best wishes

Ronny
Lael
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 02:51 PM

Hello All,

New here but have been reading threads since July. I am primarily a guitarist and contra-bassist (s string). Been studying since 1986. In July I finally made the long desired switch to the Arabic Oud. As a lead guitarist I am comfortable with and aware of the various picking styles and have always focused on economy of movement. About two months ago I was accepted as a student with an Iraqi oud master. we meet every couple weeks. He has me doing some right hand exercises with maqamat practice that are hurting my head.

Down up Down Down repeat.

and

Down Down Up repeat

The problem I am running into is that at times It causes an upstroke on the first note on the next course when applying to playing straight maqam practice.

Anyone tracking what I am saying here? Any ideas would be great.
Lael
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 03:40 PM

Interesting. Keep in mind that i am new to the oud. I just met with my teacher again. I understand now (again) that "rules" are to be broken here and there; That being that when you start a new course you begin with a down stroke (general rule in Arabic style if I am correct). I was struggling with having an upstroke on the first note of a new course while performing an add a note and drop a note maqam exercise with a repeating Down Down Up stoke pattern. In example:

FYI: I am tuned FADGCF and executing this in Maqam Kurd Re ( Phrygian D)

re mi fa
mi fa sol
fa sol la
sol la si
la si do
si do re

Ascending and descending

I was finding that I was having an upstroke on the first note of a new course..hence breaking the down stroke rule. Yet this is exactly what was expected of me to do...work on that upstroke on a new course.

Again...I am new to the oud and just trying to figure it all out.
Lael
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 03:41 PM

BTW. realized that I am off topic of the last post...a mistake on my part.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 03:56 PM

Respects to your teacher. He/She has chosen exercises to help your right hand attain complete freedom to easily do what you want it to do, or to do what the moment of music requires. A downstroke on each arrival at a new string gives a characteristic "old fashioned" sound which is both lovely and not heard as often as it used to be. It was common in 19th century Italian mandolin playing as well, and in other traditions of double course instruments. But it's good to be *able* to not do that. And some passages of oud music require continuous down-ups, or other patterned movements that may involve an upstroke as the first sound on a new string. These exercises will help you to be able to do these things easily. Good for guitar as well.

Quote: Originally posted by Lael  
Interesting. Keep in mind that i am new to the oud. I just met with my teacher again. I understand now (again) that "rules" are to be broken here and there; That being that when you start a new course you begin with a down stroke (general rule in Arabic style if I am correct). I was struggling with having an upstroke on the first note of a new course while performing an add a note and drop a note maqam exercise with a repeating Down Down Up stoke pattern. In example:

FYI: I am tuned FADGCF and executing this in Maqam Kurd Re ( Phrygian D)

re mi fa
mi fa sol
fa sol la
sol la si
la si do
si do re

Ascending and descending

I was finding that I was having an upstroke on the first note of a new course..hence breaking the down stroke rule. Yet this is exactly what was expected of me to do...work on that upstroke on a new course.

Again...I am new to the oud and just trying to figure it all out.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top