conundrum
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 10:55 PM
Looking for Oud

Hello all
I am a new member to this forum
and i always was interested in learning to play oud
but i am left handed
so i would like to know if there are any site or place where i can buy an oud for left handers
thanks
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 01:24 AM
My advice

Hi ,

You are better off learning on a right handed oud. If you never played any simillar insturament before. I know a left handed friend of mine who learnt the oud and plays the right handed "normal" one with no problems. It will be easier for you in the future. Trust me.

Good luck

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
Ibn_Rushd
Oud Lover

Mood: Rebel

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 02:51 AM

I agree.

I am 100% left handed but learned Oud and Guitar the right handed way. I had no problems in the beginning except with the tremolo when using a risha. My right hand lacked speed, but I caught up quickly.

I still argue me friends that the standard "right-handed" way is better for lefties since your left hand has to do a lot of work when you play quick solos. Picking with the right hand is an easier skill to acquire. The Gypsies knew about this when they played guitar, but the only reasons they played it that way because they needed the strenght of the right-hand to create a loud stum since they had no mics hundreds of years ago.
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 06:36 PM

Hey conundrum, I disagree, as a guitarist and an oud player I truly recomend starting to learn on a cheaper right-handed student model oud flipped backwards (like hendrix). the learning process will be best suited for your physical ability (your left handed, you know?) Not to cause controversy, thats just my opinion.

tarik
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 02:57 AM

Hello my friend,
If you are left handed I sugest to you to learn with a left handed made instrument.Personally I have seen a left handed made instrument and this what I sugest to you.There are oudmakers that they do instruments for left handers,Dimitris Rapakousios for exemple is a left hander and he plays like that too,and ofcourse he makes and instruments.I am sure that there are more makers that they make too.If you need more details contact me.
Best Regards
Spyros

Go To Top